DIY: 1-Sheet Laminated Plywood Stand

special-ops-s2k

View Badges
Reaction score
What program did you use to design the stand prior to cutting? I’d love to do a stand of this style for my quarantine system, I should have you draw up the plans! This is awesome!

Get Fish & Corals directly for the suppliers
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Cool I’ll have to look into that and see if I can figure it out! I have 6x 20g tanks and want to do 2 tier design with 3 tanks on each level. Your design looks much cleaner than the 2x4 plan I had originally thought of going with
Its pretty similar to using 2x4s. I am just making my own 2x4s by laminating sheets of plywood together.

A bit more involved, but plywood is stronger and more resistant to warping.

Reef-junky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Very nice

OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
The flex tube on the return pump had me thinking it was a DEF nozzle. :D
I had to google that- funny, I see the resemblance!

Im sure most people would frown upon me for using that. Its bilge tubing; meant for drains, not pressure rated. Works great- its PVC, so glues right to other fittings :)

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I had to google that- funny, I see the resemblance!

Im sure most people would frown upon me for using that. Its bilge tubing; meant for drains, not pressure rated. Works great- its PVC, so glues right to other fittings :)
1566512199046.png

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I've always liked to use flexible tubing for a small section between hard pipe and the return. One because it seems to quiet down vibration but... if I'm being honest it makes the return angles less critical to line up -- which for me is easier. :p

I'm not sure if I'll use a flex tube on my current upgrade. I've heard it has a pretty serious impact on the flow. I'm not sure if its true but its one of those wives tales I hear as far as pump plumbing.

OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I've always liked to use flexible tubing for a small section between hard pipe and the return. One because it seems to quiet down vibration but... if I'm being honest it makes the return angles less critical to line up -- which for me is easier. :p

I'm not sure if I'll use a flex tube on my current upgrade. I've heard it has a pretty serious impact on the flow. I'm not sure if its true but its one of those wives tales I hear as far as pump plumbing.
Totally agree re angles.

The tubing I am using is smooth inside? I cant imagine it has any effect on flow. Anyway, my return pump is comically oversized- around 3000gph for a 70g tank. I run it on 1/2 power LOL

Just put in the new skimmer from the R2R giveaway! Looking sick. Next is cord management xD

(water under sump is because the skimmer was wet when I put it in)

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Yeah from here the issues with the sump aren't apparent. So I guess you were right to take the other route instead of the to and fro shipping. I love how open the sump area looks! I want to do plywood instead of 2x4's this time but I really don't trust my cuts! :p

OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Yeah from here the issues with the sump aren't apparent. So I guess you were right to take the other route instead of the to and fro shipping. I love how open the sump area looks! I want to do plywood instead of 2x4's this time but I really don't trust my cuts! :p
The issues aren't apparent ASSUMING the water under the sump isn't due to the joints lol. I agree it wasn't worth paying additional to send it back and forth. I added thick solvent to the sketchiness, and water testing was good overnight. Though there is a water getting in between the baffles where there isn't any solvent, which is kind of annoying. I figure that'll get clogged up with detritus in time- only clean for the beginning.

Will you watch revhtree on the LIVE #askBRStv show?

• Yes I'll tune in live at 1:30pm est!

Votes: 46 41.1%
  • No I'll have to catch the rerun!

Votes: 60 53.6%
  • Neither, I choose to make revhtree sad...

Votes: 6 5.4%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Reef-A-Palooza Chicago 2019
Geo's Reef