DIY 10 gallon AIO moving to a 20 long DIY AIO!!!

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear I am not a hoarder. Just always prepared.

2802E8F1-146C-4C4D-9A6A-0CAE5099984A.jpeg

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
165w light actually running the leds at about 2w instead of the usual 1-1.5w makes this a true 110w light. 120 degree lenses. It should support sps with no issues on a 20 long lol. I suspect I won’t be over 50 on blues, 50 on UV, 25 on whites, reds, greens. Heck it may not even make it to 50 lol. 12 inches deep and the light will be 10.5” from the water.

Par meter is my friend on setting it up for sure.

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’m following along to see how it goes. I have a 20L that I’m planning on using to play with T5s since I’ve never ran them. 24” fixture no clue what kind of par it will put out but like you said a 12” tank doesn’t take much, but a par meter would be nice.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it is in the car and ready to go to work. Will load up the rock in old salt buckets with water and the water in the morning. Should have loaded it in the V70 and not the 335is coupe lol. Guess I got to go easy on the back roads to work lol.

EE57409F-C0E2-4C3C-B27A-88367CA9DBF9.jpeg

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And it is setup. Let the temp stabilize and corals will be coming to work tomorrow.

Coral list so far:
1 purple torch
Tons of zoas
Small hammer frag
Gsp for an island.
3-4 frags of unknown wild acros.
Orange monti frag
Purple monti frag

Just need to figure out what fish.

47CCA789-9F7C-4D51-B057-2148FBAFB152.jpeg

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I think the fluval skimmer may end up in the trash and a old biocube one used or I may just order a new one. Holy micro bubbles lol. Even with 3 dividers for bubble traps they are making it through. I guess I may just need to be a little patient as the skimmer is super clean and may just need to break in again. We shall see at the end of the week I guess.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well corals are in. As are 2 fish.

3 no name wild acros - well 5 as there was little accidental fragging.
purple w/ green tip torch
1.5 head reverse hammer (it is in the process of splitting lol)
tons of zoas and palys. Eagel eyes, horizons, some I have no idea of the name, but they are all different colors and look like a bowl of fruity pebbles.
1 monti frag that got turned into 3 frags for some color contrast
2 purple disco shrooms
3 small kenya trees on their own rock with some pandora palys on it. (I love kenya trees and they dont bother me with their drop off, you just have to stay on top of getting them out. They also make good store credit at the lfs lol)

The 2 fish are a bonded pair of Canary Blennies. They should not have been sleeping on the mag float if the jbj 45 this morning lol. Super easy to catch and they are so active, I think they will be the only 2 fish in the tank for a while.

And of course the clean up crew.
2x margarita snails and 2x small hermits.

Just room light. I really hope the coralline from the rocks form one of my dts move over to the sump kept rocks soon lol. I hate white rocks.
IMG_2651.jpg

And with the blues on.
IMG_2650.jpg

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, i did my first round of testing and glad I did.

Ammonia - 0
Alk - 9.3 heck yeah
Calcium - 440 ohhrahh
Mag - 1390 cool by me
NO3 - 0 and 0. Not even the slightest color on the low range of Salifert or Red Sea Pro.
PO4 - 0 and 0. Same as NO3 on both kits as well. (Hanna ULR and Salifert)

Not to mention there is a slight case of Dinos that developed over the weekend. Tank made it through its first weekend though, so happy about that.

Plan of action.
Turn skimmer off - Done
Dose some sodium nitrate and trisodium phosphate - went home on lunch and got some. Done.

NO3 and PO4 are now at 2 and .03 repsctfully. I will check them tomorrow and see if there is a change. Gonna monitor and test all week to see if dosing is needed, or if I need to hurry up and add some more fish. Seems 2 canary blennies just are not gonna cut it.

Maybe I will put a tang in here!!!!!!! JK

But seriously, I need to think about what fish will increase the bioload. I have this issue with tanks at home, no matter how much I feed and I really do not want to dose a nano at work lol. I do have a spare 4 head bubble magnus laying around......

Any who... Monday FTS and the uglies, as they are part of this and deserve equal right to be posted as well.
image2.jpeg

Just a few strings in the middle of the pic and a dusting of them starting to lay down on the rocks. Turkey baster and pump with fine filter material already used to suck it out and put water back in. After this pic of course. Got to keep a tank build thread real. Problems and all lol.
image1.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back