OP
OP
Spicy Reef

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some Caribsea Alive, put it in a 20g long with some old not quite so live rock I've been sitting on for a couple of decades...
IMG_0564.JPG

IMG_0567.JPG

Had this rock in salt water in a bucket for a month dosing it with ammonium and live rock enhance etc...
Getting it all ready as a hot coal to the 150g

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have Facebook there is a huge group called pacific northwest reef keepers. lots of good people willing to help in the Seattle area. And most always when someone needs something someone else has it for a fair price.

I'm all by myself over in Wenatchee. Close enough to be in the group, far enough away to miss out on all the fun.

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re still looking for live rock I just received some from KPAquatics and was really happy with it. Their “starter” rock arrived in great shape with plenty of life and coraline on it. The usual warnings about live rock hitch hikers apply.

OP
OP
Spicy Reef

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re still looking for live rock I just received some from KPAquatics and was really happy with it. Their “starter” rock arrived in great shape with plenty of life and coraline on it. The usual warnings about live rock hitch hikers apply.
That's the second time KPA has been brought to my attention. I'm going to give them a try.

Do you or anyone else know if I get maybe their 34lb pack will it jumpstart the rest of my dry rock ok, or will there be all the same problems as if starting with dry rock from scratch... Any thoughts welcome does not have to be absolute :) Thanks!

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the second time KPA has been brought to my attention. I'm going to give them a try.

Do you or anyone else know if I get maybe their 34lb pack will it jumpstart the rest of my dry rock ok, or will there be all the same problems as if starting with dry rock from scratch... Any thoughts welcome does not have to be absolute :) Thanks!
I'm wondering that too. I'm hoping it will jump start things and avoid some of the dry rock issues. This is my first time mixing dry rock and live rock for a new system. I'm curing the live rock along with the dry rock right now, hoping some of the bacterial bloom associated with the initial live rock die-off will seed the dry rock well.

OP
OP
Spicy Reef

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering that too. I'm hoping it will jump start things and avoid some of the dry rock issues. This is my first time mixing dry rock and live rock for a new system. I'm curing the live rock along with the dry rock right now, hoping some of the bacterial bloom associated with the initial live rock die-off will seed the dry rock well.
let's keep everyone posted.
Anyone else do this already?
Thanks!

OP
OP
Spicy Reef

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is to have a fish only tank to start...

I have this old 30 INCH CORALIFE AQUALIGHT DUAL T5 light from years ago.
I had it sitting on top of my 30g freshwater and it grew the plants like crazy so I had to replace it with an led fixture to calm things down a bit.

Anyway, my plan is to use this light on half or 1/3rd of my 150 gallon while it's a fish only tank. question is, do my live rocks need better light to continue to thrive?
IMG_0573.JPG

OP
OP
Spicy Reef

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got LIVE ROCK, REAL live rock from gulfliverock.com - THANKS FOR THE TIP!
I purchased 20lb, put any rock that had stuff growing on it (sponges, halimeda!, gracilaria) in one of my 20g longs pictured above, along with "dead live rock" so let's start the clock and see how long it takes the dead stuff to show any signs of coraline etc...
I put the rest of the real live rock "cooking" in a bucket
Here's a pic
IMG_0636.JPG

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congrats on the spicy reef!

OP
OP
Spicy Reef

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0697.JPG

Laying it out and more thinking....
off to the wetsaw...
anyone cut this stuff using a wet saw to get flat stuff?

OP
OP
Spicy Reef

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0704.JPG

finished all the cuts on wet saw + chisel and strong putty knife... vid to follow.
Now turn that upside down and put a foot on it, float the pile on the right...
This picture is deceiving, that's a 150g tank and 30lbs of rock, I need more rock!
also need glue.

Back