OP
OP
Spicy Reef

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious how many reefers out there have tested their local water and have decided not use RODI? And how many reefers just opt for the RODI w/o ever testing their local water?

So much depends on the water quality and consistency we have locally. I live in Seattle and have been keeping freshwater fish on tap for quite some time. "on tap" I do use a whole house carbon filter and bubble 24hours to dechlorinate... using chemical dechlorinator when in a time crunch.

The problem I have with RODI is with the water wasted down the drain!!!! especially with a large tank now. 10% of 150gal/ week adds up.
In the past I setup a catchment that I would use to water plants in the summer, still though... so much water wasted!

Is the saltwater reef aquarium coral critters and fish really that sensitive compared to fresh water?

OP
OP
Spicy Reef

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok finished that thread, a bit of info there, onto the next one...

OP
OP
Spicy Reef

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have no chloramine added in our water to date in Seattle, so I feel very comfortable using a carbon block and some prime... I'll keep all the "Seattlelights" posted, Of course just because the water is good today does not mean it will be tomorrow... and who knows what else could possibly be in the water... Anyone from the NW care to chime in?

I do have RO filter, I just can't see throwing so much water out during the droughts we are having in the West.

OP
OP
Spicy Reef

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, stand is sturdy, tank is prepped and tested, now it's time for the Big Move.

A few recent grads from Harvey Mudd Engineering happened to be over for the week so...

OP
OP
Spicy Reef

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, hears the Alice'n Wonderland Zoa ladder going up to the star destroyer, can U dig it :)
IMG_0790.JPG

Maybe to thick at the bottom? should rebuild the ladder/staircase?

OP
OP
Spicy Reef

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope everyone is keeping cool. we hit over 100 in my hood today. PC fan kept the water somewhat under control. Every year I say I'm going to get some AC then the 2 day heatwave passes and I change my mind....
Well folks, I'm not sure how many more of these we're going to start having. Santa's going to bring some AC this fall if the prices drop at the north pole :)

IMG_0831.JPG

OP
OP
Spicy Reef

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still slogg'n it out. This was a much bigger task to get to that picture above than I thought it would be!
Thanks for sharing the journey!

OP
OP
Spicy Reef

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great scape detail! I'm excited to see what your whole tank looks like complete!

Also, I can't imagine life without AC!
Thanks!
yeah, in Seattle we have natural AC from the stream that comes in from the pacific ocean. but 2-3 times a year we really appreciate AC!
so we get these little window units - lol

OP
OP
Spicy Reef

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fixing cracked broken plastic rim? Please LMK if you think the water is going to crash on our dinner :)

Back