DIY 30" High 42 Gallon Seahorse Tank

Bloody.Knuckles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Projected Seahorses by March-ish 2017

I have put together a tank for a pair of Seahorses.
Dimensions: 18x18x30h
Capacity: ~42 US Gallons
Glass: 1/2" annealed

I was planning on using a canister filter(Fluval 306) I had acquired as part of a package deal of equipment, but now I'm thinking that a sump(s) of sorts would provide the level of filtration to let me sleep at night.

Am I over thinking it? First time for seahorses.

If not, then what style of overflow? I'm not a fan of any HOB shenanigans and want as clean of a setup as possible, but this is a tall and narrow beast.

*Pics when the host is working for me

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Projected Seahorses by March-ish 2017

I have put together a tank for a pair of Seahorses.
Dimensions: 18x18x30h
Capacity: ~42 US Gallons
Glass: 1/2" annealed

I was planning on using a canister filter(Fluval 306) I had acquired as part of a package deal of equipment, but now I'm thinking that a sump(s) of sorts would provide the level of filtration to let me sleep at night.

Am I over thinking it? First time for seahorses.

If not, then what style of overflow? I'm not a fan of any HOB shenanigans and want as clean of a setup as possible, but this is a tall and narrow beast.

*Pics when the host is working for me
No, you are not over thinking this. A sump is a more maintenance friendly way to go and you should do whatever possible to make husbandry as easy as possible. That way you are less likely to scimp on it.
Contrary to years past when folks thought seahorses needed low flow due to being poor swimmers, they actually do better in tanks that have areas of high, medium and low flow. Plan for your seahorse tank to have a minimum of 10Xs turnover.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 48 82.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back