DIY 50 Gallon Long Cinder Block Stand and Acrylic Restoration.

ericdirabalo1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it would be cool to track all the stuff ido on here in the form of DIY threads. I recently bought a 50 Gallon Long(60Lx14Wx12H) acrylic tank off of Craigslist. I decided to go with a cinder block stand so i could save a few bucks, altough it really doesnt look that way anymore, and have an adjustable height after i remodel my system.

The materials I used were 8 8x8x16 cinderblocks, 8 6x8x8 half cinder blocks, 1 10ft 2x4, and a standard size sheet of 3/8 plywood.

The first step I went with, this may not be necassary for all but i have a hard wood floor, was i put the exra cutting of plywood on the spot where i had chsen for the stand to go. I believe it was 60x19.5.
DSC_0714.jpg

Next I layed out my desired pattern. I needed to leave room fro a 30x10 sump.I also need to be wary of the electrical outlet and not block it, and i had to leave room for a return pipe/tube.
DSC_0715.jpg

As I dicovered not all of the cinderblocks I had bought were completely flat. They had little ridges around the inside holes from the mold they had been cast in. I got rid of these was from using an old piece of raw iron to knock them off, Im sure you can use a chisel or any hard piece of metal.

DSC_0716.jpg

DSC_0717.jpg

DSC_0718.jpg

Darn file limit...on to the next post!!!

OP
OP
ericdirabalo1

ericdirabalo1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next after i made sure that there was no wobblyness I stacked the rest of the cinder blocks.
DSC_0719.jpg

DSC_0720.jpg

DSC_0721.jpg

Once the cinder blocks were stacked i layed the first sheet of plywood on the top which is 60x14.
DSC_0722.jpg

I got my 2x4 cut it exactly in half and layed on top with about 6 inches between the two.
DSC_0723.jpg

OP
OP
ericdirabalo1

ericdirabalo1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took my second piece of 60x14 plywood and laid t on top of that , i had to cut a hole in mine do a plug in the acrylic the previous owner had installed.
DSC_0724.jpg

And finally time to get the tank.
DSC_0725.jpg

Well there it is a spent about 40 bucks on all the materials except for the tank which was 80 oof of craigslist.
Now I am waiting for my acrylic scratch remover and bulkhead to arrive so I can mave my livstock from my other tank and start the remodel!!!
Please ask questions and leave critisism about the design and if ther are any integety issued let me know!!

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should be strong as can be for that tank. If you don't mind the "industrial" look its a win win! The 2x4s would be a lot stronger if you had them laid on their short side, but with the amount of support you get from the cinder blocks and your piece of plywood, I wouldn't worry about that at all. How level is it? Also I made the mistake of putting tank over hardwood. You will have a flood at some point so your hardwood will suffer a lot under the stand where you cannot reach it. Plan on a big ugly spot if you ever remove the tank.

OP
OP
ericdirabalo1

ericdirabalo1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its consideably level, but my whole room is on a slope, so its a little off. Just ordered all my bulkheads and acrylic repair kit. I also think i will be swtiching the postion of the two 6x8x8 cinderblock supports so i will have access to my sump.

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you lay the 2x4s on their short side, you do not need the center cinder block supports at all.

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think so but check with someone else. If it were glass you could no problem. I know of people with 240 gallon tanks with a 2x6 frame and just end supports over a 72" span.

OP
OP
ericdirabalo1

ericdirabalo1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be great so I could have more space in the bottom. Do you think If I had four 2x4's it would be good?

Breakin Newz

WINNING!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put both the middle supports towards the back, should be OK...

I had my 5foot acyrlic tank with no middle support upfront but it did have back middle support..

Last edited:
OP
OP
ericdirabalo1

ericdirabalo1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i added two more 5ft 2x4 and i also noticed that the smaller cinder blocks are not as tall as the 8x8x16's so they dont even touch the bottom plywood.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back