DIY all for reef not mixing together

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Final product for the most part, needs a little more mixing, but pretty close and pretty fast for hand mix no heat.

16208533382371262930269068806916.jpg

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Measured everything perfectly in grams and im still getting a slurry
What happens if you let it sit still with no mixing for 30 minutes or so?

My magnetic stirrer has a max of 1000rpm... I run about half that speed. Just enough to keep the particles swirling but not fast enough to suck air down the vortex at the center. I also heat the water to about 110-120 or so.

Does your carbo ca look like fine particles of sand? I guess it's possible something is wrong with it but based on your previous photo it looks like a super fine suspension of air to me.

OP
OP
P

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happens if you let it sit still with no mixing for 30 minutes or so?

My magnetic stirrer has a max of 1000rpm... I run about half that speed. Just enough to keep the particles swirling but not fast enough to suck air down the vortex at the center. I also heat the water to about 110-120 or so.

Does your carbo ca look like fine particles of sand? I guess it's possible something is wrong with it but based on your previous photo it looks like a super fine suspension of air to me.
It turns into a viscous clump that can't be stirred at all and I have heated the water before aswell with no mixing. The carbo calcium also had little tiny rocks of carbo, I would say 99% is sand like particles but not fine particles

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@PegasisR I've read through this thread and I'm sorry to say that I can't see anything you are doing wrong from what you have said. That being said, the result you are getting is absolutely not correct. We have a LOT of Carbocalcium out in the field, and a LOT of people using the DIY AFR method, and I have to say, I have not seen this issue come up before. I also don't believe that we have ever had a "bad batch" of Carbocalcium or AFR. So I am at a loss for what is going on in your process. As a first step, can you send me in email ([email protected]) or post here, the lot number of your Carbocalcium? I want to see when it was made. The only other thing I can think to do, is to have you send me a small sample of the Carbocalcium, so I can check its solubility here in our office.

I assume there is some "variable" that has not come up in this thread, that we are missing. But I can't think what that might be. As I said, with all the product we have out there, I have not seen this issue come up before. So chances are we are missing something! I just don't know what that is yet.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@PegasisR I've read through this thread and I'm sorry to say that I can't see anything you are doing wrong from what you have said. That being said, the result you are getting is absolutely not correct. We have a LOT of Carbocalcium out in the field, and a LOT of people using the DIY AFR method, and I have to say, I have not seen this issue come up before. I also don't believe that we have ever had a "bad batch" of Carbocalcium or AFR. So I am at a loss for what is going on in your process. As a first step, can you send me in email ([email protected]) or post here, the lot number of your Carbocalcium? I want to see when it was made. The only other thing I can think to do, is to have you send me a small sample of the Carbocalcium, so I can check its solubility here in our office.

I assume there is some "variable" that has not come up in this thread, that we are missing. But I can't think what that might be. As I said, with all the product we have out there, I have not seen this issue come up before. So chances are we are missing something! I just don't know what that is yet.
Thanks for helping out Lou! really strange for sure.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible it's the bio calcium? Only other thing I can think of..
Maybe the OP was sent bio calcium by mistake and didn't catch the error? The containers look kinda similar.

Last edited:

Lsuhunter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my thought as well.

When I mixed mine, I use a 1.5 liter bottle and shake it versus stir. I also heated up a pot of hot water and would put the bottle in there to warm the solution every once in awhile.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the OP was sent bio calcium by mistake and didn't catch the error? The containers look kinda similar.
Haha....I thought that too! It is the only thing I can think of that could actually react like this. I figured I would find that out directly from @PegasisR when we touched base on this. But great observation @Shirak . Maybe you need to get a job in the office here with TM!?!?!?!?! :)

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha....I thought that too! It is the only thing I can think of that could actually react like this. I figured I would find that out directly from @PegasisR when we touched base on this. But great observation @Shirak . Maybe you need to get a job in the office here with TM!?!?!?!?! :)
OOO well if my wife ever kicks me and all my reef tanks out of the house I know where I can go!! :))

OP
OP
P

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was so confident in having carbo and buying carbo calcium that I blindly mixed the ingredients together... and didn't even realize it was the wrong ingredient XD

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 32 84.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.9%
Back