DIY All-For-Reef Recipe from Tropic Marin! Thanks Zack!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

U

User1

View Badges
Can't believe I'm just discovering this today. Just read all 9 pages. I'll be ordering the ready-to-use stuff this week and probably will try to use the DIY version next.

I think as noted above as it was originally released it was a bit cost prohibited for mature large tanks. Smaller tanks it was great. I do not recall when but Zack created the video I posted and it was a hidden gem of a find. The DIY side of things is around 110 bucks or so. Depending on dosing it could last a bit.

I think above all what I found interesting about it all was that TM could have not said anything or supported it and focus on the higher cost for consumers of the pre-made. Several threads and videos on the web with interviews of Lou and they always put it out there. Now the TM AFR powder is out (EMEA first) and we should see it after the first. I'm sure it will be a good seller if priced right.

BillFish Coral Lover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NotASpammerDude If you were only to buy the small container of A & K, it's true that you would not be able to fully realize the savings of making your own, but keep in mind that the main component is carbocalcium, and the smaller container will make 5 liters of solution. The larger container will make 10 liters of solution. If you buy the 1400g container of Carbocalcium, the small container of Bio-Mag, and the 1000mL bottles of A&K, you can make 10 liters for a total cost of $120, which works out to $12/liter, and you'd still have Bio-Mag left over. The Bio-Mag will be enough for 37 liters of solution, so that will not be a cost next time you buy ingredients, and if you take the actual cost of materials for each liter into account, it's actually more like $10/liter.
Ladies and gentlemen, we have a WINNER! Ding ding ding ding!!!!
Wait! Where do I store all the ingredients in my little apartment...?
Oh, nuts.

BillFish Coral Lover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok i need to pull out my scale and check, unless you dont mind verifying the scoop to scale accuracy. My mixture after 24 hrs had a 1/16th inch layer on the bottom of a large container. As i said i used a little return pump as a mixer.
There is no way to accurately translate mass to volume in this type of scenario. You can be close but not accurate. I would go with weight. Same thing with making food in large amounts - each ingredient is weighed.

duffstanton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than some of the dilution and mixing issues has anyone had any other drawbacks from using AFR or the DIY version. Thinking this is going to be my new best friend :)

Vwluv10338

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than some of the dilution and mixing issues has anyone had any other drawbacks from using AFR or the DIY version. Thinking this is going to be my new best friend :)

If you run ULN there can be a carbon dosing effect so watch your nutrient levels

U

User1

View Badges

I can't speak for everyone but I will say that I've had no negative effects. In fact I would almost say that my corals started to grow a bit better after the third week or so of using this. It could just be timing, could be something else, or it could be the TM AFR. I really don't know but overall I would say:

1. It works has advertized
2. Fun as h3ll to make using the DIY recipe
3. Easy to dose
4. Takes about 2 - 4 weeks to balance out ALK, Ca, and MG (at least for me it did. I had to dose ALK a bit more until it held steady)
5. Saved a dosing head - although not sure what I need it for now

About the only negative thing that may or may not be related is that I have a steady stream of cyanobacteria that I didn't have before. Is it related I know not. Tank is coming up on 3 years old but the fact I used all dry rock and it being pukani is a bit suspect. Previously I was dosing ESV 2 part.

Looking at my tank I would say TM AFR is great but there is this cyano thing going on and I'm thinking it is somewhat related or closer to low nitrate / nutrients. I also switched over to TM bio actif salt which I know lowers Nitrates after some further reading. dang fine salt mix though. Anyway - may or may not be related but about the only thing I've noticed.

Great stuff though and fun to make. Seriously. It is fun as dumb as it sounds.

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question how can a 1 part dosing work,how can you dose separately Kh and calcium? With this solution, we still need to do water changes ?

GMay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once dialed in you don’t need to add calcium or alkalinity. Plus magnesium and trace elements are included. I would still do water changes to export some bad products. I reduced my water change to 5% per week and have no problems.

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once dialed in you don’t need to add calcium or alkalinity. Plus magnesium and trace elements are included. I would still do water changes to export some bad products. I reduced my water change to 5% per week and have no problems.
iI'm a bit sceptical if this work for all tanks? Normally it is a different ration in different tanks depending on your type of corals... you have? No?

tomkun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I get away with monthly water changes if I’m already having to dose for nitrate and po4, I have chaeto growing as well as a skimmer.

GMay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My system, including a refugium, and skimmer, also runs low nitrate (< 1 ppm) and phosphate (< 0.03 ppm) and depending on your bio load you might be able do smaller less frequent water changes. I am a firm believer in that water changes also remove metabolic biproducts that are not dealt with by either the refugium or skimmer..

Your mileage may very. Happy Reefing!

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How all for reef is vs balling light from fauna marin? Did someone did the switch?

GMay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How all for reef is vs balling light from fauna marin? Did someone did the switch?
This is not like the Balling method or any of it's variants. This is a complete one part method that will not lead to a build up of NaCl over time as happens with all two part systems.

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not like the Balling method or any of it's variants. This is a complete one part method that will not lead to a build up of NaCl over time as happens with all two part systems.
Yes but wich methods give the best results for the tank?

GMay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Define best. I think you can be successful using any number of methods to maintain calcium, alkalinity and other elements. I have used AFR going on two plus years and am happy I only have to keep track of one additive that does it all with minimal intervention. I only have to do something to fix the balance when there are significant changes in growth or number of corals in my system. This is my tank today
image.jpg

Last edited:

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has someone tried the new powder? How it mix? Is the liquid form still not superior to the powder mixed at home? I think about this because of for exemple the liquid salt for aquarium that are better than the powder mix as in powder mix,you may not have on all parts the same quantity?

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well after reading multiple threads about the all for reef, and the laziness of mixing up 3 solutions, I took the leap and ordered the 10L kit! ordered a magnetic stirrer (because i'm pretty sure my ADD wont let me sit there and hand stir it)
pretty excited about using this stuff!

I do have a question:
if my mag levels are a little high right now, should I wait before using this and bring it down? if so how would I bring it down?

I just don't want the already high levels to increase higher while dosing the AFR. or will that even happen with any elevated parameter on the tank and dosing AFR?

thanks!

Barnabie

pwilliaml

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well after reading multiple threads about the all for reef, and the laziness of mixing up 3 solutions, I took the leap and ordered the 10L kit! ordered a magnetic stirrer (because i'm pretty sure my ADD wont let me sit there and hand stir it)
pretty excited about using this stuff!

I do have a question:
if my mag levels are a little high right now, should I wait before using this and bring it down? if so how would I bring it down?

I just don't want the already high levels to increase higher while dosing the AFR. or will that even happen with any elevated parameter on the tank and dosing AFR?

thanks!

Barnabie
So from experience when I mixed this up I just put a power head into a pail and let it mix it as it does take a while. In regards to your magnesium issue, the beauty of this method is you can adjust how much you add of the elements and the magnesium to the main solution which has calcium and alkalinity. If you don't need magnesium right now, you can leave it out and mix in some powder later as needed or add magnesium completely separate when needed. Also, BRS does some videos talking about how if you don't need as much minor and trace elements, you can mix slightly less into the main solution and add more as your corals get larger. Very versatile. I hope that helps.

GMay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So from experience when I mixed this up I just put a power head into a pail and let it mix it as it does take a while. In regards to your magnesium issue, the beauty of this method is you can adjust how much you add of the elements and the magnesium to the main solution which has calcium and alkalinity. If you don't need magnesium right now, you can leave it out and mix in some powder later as needed or add magnesium completely separate when needed. Also, BRS does some videos talking about how if you don't need as much minor and trace elements, you can mix slightly less into the main solution and add more as your corals get larger. Very versatile. I hope that helps.
Plus 1. Just leave the magnesium out of the mixture and you should be fine. You can add it to the solution when you need it. For a while there I was just dosing Carbocalcium and trace elements separately, until the GOY mix was described.

mvbrandt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Month 4 of using this, extremely stable All and Ca from the start, hefty coral and corralline growth throughout. Two thumbs way up. Also, the DIY recipe is extremely easy to work with and vastly cheaper - don't be afraid.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back