DIY All-For-Reef Recipe from Tropic Marin! Thanks Zack!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Nurse.Reef.Reapeat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing is what I plan to do, I already have the Magnesium from tropic Marin. I just don’t know how much. i have hard time understanding the tropic Marin magnesium calculator

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started doing this on all-for-reef powder on my Reefer Nano with few corals in it. So far so good, but I’ve noticed that my magnesium level is low, at 1194, and my CA reading slightly higher. How would you address this @Lou Ekus ? Would appreciate your feedback. But the way, I’m using Tropic Marin Bio-Actif.
You are exactly on the right track. Just do a few doses of the Bio Magnesium and you should see that Mg concentration rise. I'm sorry that the calculator seems confusing. Since the concentration of Mg is so high, it generally takes quite a bit to raise it. So don't worry too much about the calculation. Ad a recommended dose of the Bio Magnesium, then check your Mg level the next day. You will then know if you need more. Then, after a few doses, you will probably be where you want to be. You may find that once you get to your desired concentration, the the AFR will maintain it there. If not, a periodic dose of the Bio Magnesium usually does the trick. Most of the time, it does not need to be on a dosing pump for daily dosing. But you can certainly do that, if you find that to be the case.

Nurse.Reef.Reapeat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are exactly on the right track. Just do a few doses of the Bio Magnesium and you should see that Mg concentration rise. I'm sorry that the calculator seems confusing. Since the concentration of Mg is so high, it generally takes quite a bit to raise it. So don't worry too much about the calculation. Ad a recommended dose of the Bio Magnesium, then check your Mg level the next day. You will then know if you need more. Then, after a few doses, you will probably be where you want to be. You may find that once you get to your desired concentration, the the AFR will maintain it there. If not, a periodic dose of the Bio Magnesium usually does the trick. Most of the time, it does not need to be on a dosing pump for daily dosing. But you can certainly do that, if you find that to be the case.
Thanks @Lou Ekus . Now, where can I find the dose?

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing is what I plan to do, I already have the Magnesium from tropic Marin. I just don’t know how much. i have hard time understanding the tropic Marin magnesium calculator
I would mix 6-12 scoops per gallon of rodi, then dose it , keep increasing the dose until you reach your desired level. Then as long as you mix the same amount of scoops, to the same amount of water, you essentially have made your own calculator.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey bud, is there a large container of biomass available? Say 3-5lb containers? Having a 1200gal system I need to buy in larger containers then the coke can size brs carries. Also is the 33lb afr powder now available state side? I'm the guy who has been ordering 5 of the large afr powder containers direct from germany over the past year.
I ended up adding kalk to the mix to help lessen my afr use until the powder became available in the U.S.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey bud, is there a large container of biomass available? Say 3-5lb containers? Having a 1200gal system I need to buy in larger containers then the coke can size brs carries. Also is the 33lb afr powder now available state side? I'm the guy who has been ordering 5 of the large afr powder containers direct from germany over the past year.
I ended up adding kalk to the mix to help lessen my afr use until the powder became available in the U.S.
The Bio Magnesium comes in a 3.3 pound size. And the AFR Powder is available in the US now. But the large 33 pound size is a special order. Any of the Tropic Marin Preferred Dealers can order that in for you. Here is a link to the Preferred Dealer Store Locator:
https://tropicmarin-usa.com/preferred-dealers.html
I hope that helps.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Lou Ekus . Now, where can I find the dose?
On the website everything is listed. The website states:
Calculate the total System water volume, taking care to take into account the volume of live rock, external filters and sump tanks present. The addition of 1/2 fl. oz./15 ml will raise the magnesium level of 10 US-gal./38 I by approximately 21 ppm. Maximum recommended dose is ½ fl. oz./15 ml per 10 US-gal./38 I of aquarium water per day.

Quantity declaration: 0.26 US-gal./1 liter BIO-MAGNESIUM Liquid contains 54,000 mg magnesium.

To refill BIO-MAGNESIUM Liquid you can fill up 16 oz./450 g powdered BIO-MAGNESIUM with reverse osmosis water to 0.24 US-gal./ 720 ml solution and follow the instructions above.

Nurse.Reef.Reapeat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the website everything is listed. The website states:
Calculate the total System water volume, taking care to take into account the volume of live rock, external filters and sump tanks present. The addition of 1/2 fl. oz./15 ml will raise the magnesium level of 10 US-gal./38 I by approximately 21 ppm. Maximum recommended dose is ½ fl. oz./15 ml per 10 US-gal./38 I of aquarium water per day.

Quantity declaration: 0.26 US-gal./1 liter BIO-MAGNESIUM Liquid contains 54,000 mg magnesium.

To refill BIO-MAGNESIUM Liquid you can fill up 16 oz./450 g powdered BIO-MAGNESIUM with reverse osmosis water to 0.24 US-gal./ 720 ml solution and follow the instructions above.
Thank you so much! Will do That

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello how is your Ph guys with the all for reef , I struggle a bit with mine since using it?

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it on both of my display tanks as the only source of Alk/Cal/Mag. It does change depending on weather conditions with windows open or closed. But right now looking at my Apex, see below. You can see it runs a little higher in the basement with less human or dog activity.

150 gallon mixed reef off living room = 8.15 day and 8 at night.
220 gallon mixed reef in basement = 8.3 day and 8.15 at night.

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could someone tell me how much calcium , magnesium, kh I'm dosing with 86ml a day?

pochaxoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello how is your Ph guys with the all for reef , I struggle a bit with mine since using it?
Not having any affect that I can detect. I get up to 8.5 and as low as 8.1. I have always had Chaeto in my Refugium so that may account for a lot of the positive PH and I added a CO2 absorption media reactor on the air input line to my skimmer

FlyPenFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone what the shelf life is for the dry powder in powder form? Can I stock up on it and hold on to it for a year?

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All-For-Reef Powder has no limited shelf life.

If All-For-Reef Powder looks a bit damp and sticky this is normal and caused by the mixing of different salts. The powder will remain soluble and stable, just like sugar or table salt.

rmcrom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a formula to calculate how much all-for-reef is needed per day based on water volume and daily alk drop?

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a formula to calculate how much all-for-reef is needed per day based on water volume and daily alk drop?
When I used AFR, I dosed according to the bottle instructions:

Dosing Instructions:
Start with a daily dose of 5 ml of All-For-Reef per 100 liters (26 US-gal) of aquarium system volume. Increase the daily dosage – by continuous control of the alkalinity – weekly by 2.5 ml per 100 liters (26 US-gal) of aquarium system volume, until a constant carbonate hardness of 7° to 9° dH is reached.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding, no; you are supposed to dose based on calcium levels not alk levels. You want the alk levels to be in an acceptable range but not to dose based on it.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding, no; you are supposed to dose based on calcium levels not alk levels. You want the alk levels to be in an acceptable range but not to dose based on it.
I dose by alk, since that is the one that is most important to keep as stable as possible.
My previous system an sps dominant 270g system. I dosed almost 200ml a day spread across 24 hourly doses.
Current 700g system mostly frags for now im dosing 4gal of kalkwasser a day and 50ml of afr at 2-3ml per hour.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose by alk, since that is the one that is most important to keep as stable as possible.
My previous system an sps dominant 270g system. I dosed almost 200ml a day spread across 24 hourly doses.
Current 700g system mostly frags for now im dosing 4gal of kalkwasser a day and 50ml of afr at 2-3ml per hour.
I dose kalk by alkalinity (when I used it basically replacing all evap with kalk) but AFR doesn't change alk the way kalk does (directly) which is why I dosed them differently

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back