DIY All-For-Reef Recipe from Tropic Marin! Thanks Zack!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

dhof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm removing this post where I previously wondered if another alternate Trace element solution could be used instead of the TM trace to save cost. After doing some more math on that concept, it appears the TM trace is already a more economical solution when compared to other vendors offerings in the trace element area.

Last edited:

Keenan

TCMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use this method? I'm trying to figure out how much A- and K+ to add to my Part B and Part A respectively.

My consumption will differ from yours most likely. I would say start with a quarter of the recommended dose per liter of solution (so 25ml of each K+ and A-) and work your way up. Maybe the next time you refill parts a and b add 50ml and so on. Ultimately it’s up to you and also how the corals look.

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My consumption will differ from yours most likely. I would say start with a quarter of the recommended dose per liter of solution (so 25ml of each K+ and A-) and work your way up. Maybe the next time you refill parts a and b add 50ml and so on. Ultimately it’s up to you and also how the corals look.
I meant for mixing the two. I use 1L containers so wondering how much trace to mix to the trek part. I use BRS 3 part with Acropower on my 4 head doser.

Keenan

TCMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant for mixing the two. I use 1L containers so wondering how much trace to mix to the trek part. I use BRS 3 part with Acropower on my 4 head doser.

Correct, that’s what I was referring to as well. Start with a quarter of the recommended dose per liter for K+ (In part A) and A- (In part B) each. This would be 25ml. Then work your way up to the recommended dose over time (100ml of each)

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome.

After talking with Lou at RAP-NY for about an hour regarding these two products, he gave me a bottle to try. (Unfortunately I can't find it).
I've been really struggling with dialing in ATI two part and had to give up, finding it very inconsistent and gunking up the lines quickly.

I just ordered a bottle of All-for-reef from BRS a couple days ago, in hopes of obtaining a bit more stability in my dosing regiment. I love TM salt and products, so we will see how tank reacts.

I saw a video while I was doing research on this product, & he talked about mixing it, intrigued me. Glad you guys did the leg work.... thanks for the info.

dhof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very excited to try this recipe on my tank. I have everything delivered to mix it, except for the TM K+ elements. Both Aquacave and BRS are sold out of that. Seems like they are the only sellers in the U.S. I really hope sourcing the various parts of this recipe are not this tough to get going forward.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently using Tropic Marin balling but have ordered all the components to make this. Is there a dosing calculation to switch over other than the recommended starting doses?

dhof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got my hands on some of the Pro-Coral K+ elements and made my first batch of this DIY recipe for All-For-Reef. Just thought I'd share my experiences here.

I made a double batch (1500mL RODI, 280g CarboCalcium, 24g BioMagnesium, 200mL Trace A, 200mL Trace K).
  1. I used a 12 qt container with very hot tap water to create a hot bath for a 2L Erlenmeyer flask. I was able to put a small aquarium heater in the bath section to keep the bath warmed to 92F but the initial water temp was well over 100F from the tap. The bath and the flask were on a magnetic stirrer that amazingly stirred through both of the bottoms.
  2. I filled the Erlenmeyer flask with the 1500mL RODI and waited 20 min for the bath to warm up the RODI.
  3. I then added the 280g of CarboCalcium (incredibly slowly) and let it stir for about 30 minutes. Even after 30 minutes, quite a bit was not dissolved as I could see quite a few small crystals still being circulated in there.
  4. I added the Biomagnesium and let it stir for another 30 minutes. There was still quite a bit of not-dissolved crystals in the solution even now 60-75 minutes after I started the process.
  5. I added the Trace A and Trace K and checked back 60 minutes later. There was still quite a bit of not-dissolved things whirling around in the solution.
  6. I left it circulate with the magnetic stirrer overnight, and by the next morning, everything appeared to be fully dissolved, so I turned off the magnetic stirrer and turned off the heater and allowed it to come to room temperature while I was at work.
  7. When I returned home it was at room temp and I did not notice any crystals, it appeared fully dissolved.
  8. Since I left the solution on the magnetic plate with the stir bar in it, I did notice what appeared to be liquid iron (or some very thin layer of reddish/orange looking fluid_ laying at the bottom of the flask. I removed the magnet and shook the flask a bit and it does not appear to be settling out. Not sure if the magnet was pulling iron out of the solution? My Trace K bottles have a bit of red/orange liquid that settles at the bottom, so I assume this is just the same stuff as that. I did use the premixed All 4 Reef and I never noticed anything rust colored, but both bottles of Trace K that I bought have orange/red stuff that seems to settle to the bottom of the mixture.
  9. In the end, I measured the final amount made was 2050mL.

NEXT:
  1. Next time, I think I'm going to try 725mL of RODI per 1000mL (instead of 750mL as described by BRS) so that the concentration is more exact compared to the pre-made solution.
  2. Next time, I'm going to remove the Flask so there are no magnets in or around it while it cools to see if that prevents thee reddish/orange stuff from settling at the bottom.
DIY A4R Setup.jpg

(The Erlenmyer flask shows the volume way past the 2000mL mark, but when I measured it at the end it was truly 2050mL, the flask markings are just inaccurate)

br88dy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I left the solution on the magnetic plate with the stir bar in it, I did notice what appeared to be liquid iron (or some very thin layer of reddish/orange looking fluid_ laying at the bottom of the flask. I removed the magnet and shook the flask a bit and it does not appear to be settling out. Not sure if the magnet was pulling iron out of the solution? My Trace K bottles have a bit of red/orange liquid that settles at the bottom, so I assume this is just the same stuff as that. I did use the premixed All 4 Reef and I never noticed anything rust colored, but both bottles of Trace K that I bought have orange/red stuff that seems to settle to the bottom of the mixture.

This is interesting, I read a thread earlier tonight on nano-reef by a guy that documented his All For Reef (AFR) usage over some months and he noticed some gunk at the bottom of the container. He assumed it was mold, but I wonder if he might've seen the same gunk you're seeing in yours.

You should start your own thread documenting your experience using the recipe in your tank :) My 1L premixed AFR arrives tomorrow and I'll probably start my own thread as well, which will likely include the DIY recipe in the future.

dhof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is interesting, I read a thread earlier tonight on nano-reef by a guy that documented his All For Reef (AFR) usage over some months and he noticed some gunk at the bottom of the container. He assumed it was mold, but I wonder if he might've seen the same gunk you're seeing in yours.

You should start your own thread documenting your experience using the recipe in your tank :) My 1L premixed AFR arrives tomorrow and I'll probably start my own thread as well, which will likely include the DIY recipe in the future.
To me it looks like iron settling at the bottom. In the DIY A4R batch I just made, I initially noticed it near the magnetic stirrer bar, but I do have the orange/red settling at the bottom even now that I have transferred it to another container.

It's really a liquid orange/red at the bottom, and doesn't appear to be solid. It appears to be the same stuff that settles in my Pro K trace bottles. I'm including a few pictures below of my Pro K bottles showing the settling, does anyone else have this or do I maybe have a bad stock of Pro K?
Pro K settled orange red stuff2.jpg

Pro K settled orange red stuff.jpg

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have we received any info on why the diy mix is a blue/green color and the factory version is clear?

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it okay to use a blender to mix the ingredients?

I assume so but you may be running it for a long time. I used a magnetic stirrer and let it run overnight to get everything dissolved. I did it in the garage though, the lower water temp probably made things take longer.

br88dy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume so but you may be running it for a long time. I used a magnetic stirrer and let it run overnight to get everything dissolved. I did it in the garage though, the lower water temp probably made things take longer.
I was planning on heating the water before mixing the ingredients. I really don’t want to end up with a sludge at the bottom of the blender under the blades, but I don’t think the time is right to purchase a magnetic stirrer either. I’ll post an update if I decide to use the blender.

Keenan

TCMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on heating the water before mixing the ingredients. I really don’t want to end up with a sludge at the bottom of the blender under the blades, but I don’t think the time is right to purchase a magnetic stirrer either. I’ll post an update if I decide to use the blender.

You can buy stirrers for less than $30 from Amazon that still work great:

INTLLAB Magnetic Stirrer Stainless Steel Magnetic Mixer with stir bar (No Heating) Max Stirring Capacity: 3000ml

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is weird. The batch I made a while back is still clear. I didn't do anything special when I mixed it up. Made a 2-liter batch.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Check post #71, they heated the water and it still took hours of mixing. I have no idea how long it's ok to leave a blender running for.

Back