DIY All-For-Reef Recipe from Tropic Marin! Thanks Zack!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Vamsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on heating the water before mixing the ingredients. I really don’t want to end up with a sludge at the bottom of the blender under the blades, but I don’t think the time is right to purchase a magnetic stirrer either. I’ll post an update if I decide to use the blender.
Vitamix may be efficient, as there is a considerable amount of heat generated.

fernandodal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you're finding out, it can take quite some time to really get everything fully dissolved. If you don't have a magnetic stirrer, a small powerhead can definitely be used :)

Hi, I am using a small power head to mix everything however, after two days, I can still see a kind of dust at the bottom of the container. Would you suggest adding a bit more water to help dissolve the products entirely?

Many thanks in advance for your answer

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am using a small power head to mix everything however, after two days, I can still see a kind of dust at the bottom of the container. Would you suggest adding a bit more water to help dissolve the products entirely?

Many thanks in advance for your answer

A small amount of undissolved material at the bottom isn't a huge concern, especially with the amount of time that you've been mixing for.

fernandodal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small amount of undissolved material at the bottom isn't a huge concern, especially with the amount of time that you've been mixing for.

Many thanks for your answer.
It was actually a very light dust covering the whole bottom of the container. The mix was completely cloudy when the power head was operating, it was nota similar to yours so I decided to add RODI water until it clears. I have added up 250ml more but now it seems ok. I am going to adjust my previous dosing figures by 1.25 to get the appropriate concentration.

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many thanks for your answer.
It was actually a very light dust covering the whole bottom of the container. The mix was completely cloudy when the power head was operating, it was nota similar to yours so I decided to add RODI water until it clears. I have added up 250ml more but now it seems ok. I am going to adjust my previous dosing figures by 1.25 to get the appropriate concentration.
The dust is very common and Tropic Marin commented here or on a different thread that it's not a big deal and won't affect your results.

kabal2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i dose all for reef, how long it takes to take effect?

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try dissolving each thing individually then mixing it together?
Its not that everything doesn't desolve, its the carbocalcium doesn't completely desolve. Maybe 1/2-1gram doesnt desolve in 750ml of water it does if i increase the water to 800ml though.

Scott peachey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all
hope everyone is keeping well , i have been looking at dosing options and this diy all for reef and found the elements a and k in 5000 ml allowing a 50ish litre batch which works out around £6.50 a litre.

has anyone tried miking this amount ?

Thanks all keep safe

94E0A637-4E4A-4F81-B865-4B95BE32AC67.png

Last edited:

2000se

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ I have not but I can’t think it would be a problem as long as you store it in an airtight container. I just made 10liters a few days ago.

chrishet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for the group...can I dose BRS Soda Ash along with AFR? Assuming it’s fine. My Ca is running high, thought it was my Trident but it’s not, and I can’t get my alk to 9 without really cranking up the AFR, which gets my CA into the mid 500’s. I’m hoping I can slowly bring up my Alk while I bring down my Ca By lowering my AFR. Once stabilized I’ll bring up the AFR again. Right now my Alk is near 8, dips below sometimes, and my Ca is around 525.

Last edited:

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for the group...can I dose BRS Soda Ash along with AFR? Assuming it’s fine. My Ca is running high, thought it was my Trident but it’s not, and I can’t get my alk to 9 without really cranking up the AFR, which gets my CA into the mid 500’s. I’m hoping I can slowly bring up my Alk while I bring down my Ca By lowering my AFR. Once stabilized I’ll bring up the AFR again. Right now my Alk is near 8, dips below sometimes, and my Ca is around 525.
I have to add a teaspoon of baking soda to some DI and put it in the tank occasionaly. I have a 42 gallon tank. My calcium is at 480. So I have about the same issue. Alk is at 8 at the moment.

Beane71884

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my order. The graphic is still the old version on my container, but the wording is very similar and all the instructions are identical between the new and old. I think it's pretty safe to say it's the same formula, just an older container.

U

User1

View Badges
I'm about two months into using AFR and so far love it. I still cannot say one way or another if the tank likes it better than the previous 2 part (ESV) but some corals are clearly taking off. Part of that is the dry rock maturing (little over two years now) while the other I believe is AFR. The only thing that I noticed is that I'm still struggling to maintain a consistent ALK measurement. Over a couple days if I do not dos ALK it will drop from 8.8 to 8.1 or lower so have to slightly adjust ALK dose. I'm at 40 ML AFR / day in my 210. Started at 34 ML. Looks like I'm going to have to increase it.

Oddly enough I really look forward to my Saturday when i get to make this stuff. No idea why I find it fun but I do. Thanks again for the recipe!!!!

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn’t find any AFR so I Just mixed up my first DIY batch the other day. I ended up just making it half strength. I have a nano so I’m not dosing much and figured it would be more accurate with my doser. I was all ready doing that with the pre made stuff and confirmed with Tropic Marin that you could dilute it.

Another thing I did since it’s hot here in the south east right now, I mixed it outside. Only took a couple hours with a magnetic stirrer and it looks good. I also haven’t got any of the orange dust.

B490E7C5-8C99-4F42-A359-5EABD7080855.jpeg

For anyone interested in using the magnetic stirrer this one on amazon works well and is cheap. The flask is from river supply company and is decent quality for a great price. I also picked up a 100ml graduated cylinder to measure the liquid components and used a gram scale I had for the dry ones. Also if you are into CBD, they have great oil at a killer price to meet the $50 for free shipping

Last edited:

pikachux3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone wanting to save a bit of money. You can just get a scale and funnel and empty 1 L bottles. Put the ingredients in the bottle and shake it up. Has worked for me so far.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ive been running this for about 9 months, i mix it in bulk. Im 3/4 of the wY through my second 10 liter batch. I found big crystals on the bottom of the container today, some clogged the doser line and my alk dropped from 9 to low 7s
Anyone else had the crystal formation issue?

U

User1

View Badges
So ive been running this for about 9 months, i mix it in bulk. Im 3/4 of the wY through my second 10 liter batch. I found big crystals on the bottom of the container today, some clogged the doser line and my alk dropped from 9 to low 7s
Anyone else had the crystal formation issue?

No. But then again I mix in smaller batches it sounds like. I double the recipe and store in 1200 ML Voss glass bottles (my dosing containers). I notice a slight residue on the bottom of the bottle as noted here but otherwise my lines haven't clogged.

Only thing I noticed so far with my current batch is that my Calcium seems to be lower and trending down compared to earlier uses. Makes me think maybe I messed up this batch. Usually I'm at 430 - 450 range and now I'm down to 366 looking at my Tridents graphs.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im using this on my current 280g system and plan to use it on my new 1200g system. The first batch was fine, this one went south though.
The pics go in order of bad solution. Crystals strained out, and then a new batch.
I cant see how the mix could have been contaminated, but anything is possible. I had to replace the doser lines and clean out the head line. I saved the crystals so i can send them to tm if they want to study them. They are the size of large rock salt!

20200708_175959.jpg 20200708_180004.jpg 20200708_180111.jpg 20200708_180117.jpg 20200708_180134.jpg 20200708_183938.jpg 20200708_183944.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back