DIY All-For-Reef Recipe from Tropic Marin! Thanks Zack!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

U

User1

View Badges
I ran All-For-Reef (standard stuff, not the DIY version) on my 75 gallon tank for roughly 3 months last year. Towards the end, I submitted an ICP test via the CoralVue kit. Nothing really noteworthy. Iodine was the only thing that was a tad low, but not too far off. Full disclosure, I do weekly 20% water changes on that particular tank, so that could be helping keep everything on track too.

1595601388444.png

Thanks. They do not test for Bromine or it isn't listed I guess.

Good point on the water change bit. I am not that disciplined with weekly water changes sadly and that raises an interesting point. One that Randy was talking about in one of the threads in the chemistry sub forum with TM AFR. I'll post in that thread since Lou was responding to questions.

I have another ICP test kit from ATI but I usually send them out every 3 months. To test the weekly water change vs value I would probably have to run more frequent water tests for it to be a reasonable test. I'll look at that. I was also going to swap salts but that would be two changes at the same time and not a good idea if I'm looking at this specific thing.

I don't even know if the value of Bromine is a big concern or just outside of ATI's range so they flag it.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heads up theres an all powder all for reef on the way. 1-2 months until its supposed to hit the u.s. market, but when it does its a gMe changer. 1 canister mixed to 10liter of rodi. And your done!

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

U

User1

View Badges

I wonder how it will compare price wise. Maybe a moot point.

However, I must say that I really enjoy making it using the DIY recipe. Sounds silly I'm sure but it is fun in a odd way. It is usually the first thing I do after taking the dog out, feeding her, then grab the water, heat it up over the stove, and then make some coffee. While the water warms I'll grab the components, mixer, lay it out and start measuring setting aside on paper plates. Then I just let the auto mixer do its thing as I add the stuff in order and let it stir for 3 or 4 hours while I put everything away :)

I think it is a great product the way we have it now. I'm guessing the all in the container will be a nice addition. I'll check it out for sure. Thanks - I heard about this but don't recall reading about it so ty for posting.

Edit: Forgot to ask folks here who are using it TM AFR. Are you dosing anything else? I was just wondering as originally I was using ESV 2 part which required 2 pumps. Now I'm down to one so have the spare. Spare is good but was curious what others are doing if in similar boats.

Last edited by a moderator:

vartan320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried leaving the Carbocalcium out of the mix and just adding Mg and trace into one solution?

Im wondering if there is a way to supplement Kalkwasser with a single solution. (Mg & Trace A & Trace K).

I mixed a small batch yesterday ( Magnesium chloride hexahydrate + Magnesium sulfate + Trace A- and Trace K+) it was like in the video, with a blueish tint, but after a few hours the blue color went pale, almost gone and there is either bacterial growth or some precipitation on the sidewalls of the container.

PeterLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody know how this compares to the All-For-Reef Powder now?
In the EU I can get:
5000ml liquid for £69.35 = £13.87/l
1.6kg of powder to make 10l of solution for £41.90 = £ 4.19/l

The powder is now almost 1/3rd of the price of liquid. Is this now more economical than the DIY?

Last edited:

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody know how this compares to the All-For-Reef Powder now?
In the EU I can get:
5000ml liquid for £69.35 = £13.87/l
1.6kg of powder to make 10l of solution for £41.90 = £ 4.19/l

The powder is now almost 1/3rd of the price of liquid. Is this now more economical than the DIY?
Definitely the most economical way.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest that we've heard is that is will be available in the US. Most likely early 2021, but no firm date that I'm aware of. Things could always change between now and then.
Hopefully the off the shelf powder product will dissolve better than the diy

bcarl77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mixed two batches following this recipe one with traces and one without. The one without I replaced the volume with RODI. Both times I get a white cloud at the bottom of the containers and my corals have started to look really bad. Still measuring good levels on Alk and Ca. Is this precipitation?
750ECC1A-2D78-4949-9E64-B813ACFF390A.jpeg

U

User1

View Badges
Just wondering if anyone else had this happen to them - I hope not anyway...

I was running empty on the DIY TM AFR so earlier in the week decided to mix up another batch. Noticed I did not have enough of the carbo calcium. Since I was almost bingo AFR I decided to order quicker from a seller on Amazon. Couldn't get the larger container so said no big deal will order the smaller one to get me through then place the order as I would normally. All good. Said it would arrive today.

It arrived today. Got out the supplies, beaker, and proceeded to play mad scientist.

Auto mixer, check.
Beaker, check.
Warm RODI water, check.
Ingredients, check.
Scale, check.
Open new container of Carbo Calcium, measure out, check.
Pour carefully into beaker full of RODI water, check.
Turn on magnetic stirrer, check.
Hear daughter laugh then say you goofball, you created a volcano. Check.

I guess the seller mixed up the Carbo Calcium with the Bio Calcium Supplement and it proceeded to create a crazy reaction foaming like crazy. Spilled everywhere over counter, floor, and wrecked the beaker with a white film. Never once dawned on me to check the label as I swore I ordered it. I checked, and I did. They just grabbed the wrong one I guess. No idea what the difference is but whatever it is it did not mix well with RODI water or being stirred. Total bust.

Oh well - out of AFR until next week provided I can find someone who can ship the right stuff 2 day :D

U

User1

View Badges
Just wondering if anyone else had this happen to them - I hope not anyway...

I was running empty on the DIY TM AFR so earlier in the week decided to mix up another batch. Noticed I did not have enough of the carbo calcium. Since I was almost bingo AFR I decided to order quicker from a seller on Amazon. Couldn't get the larger container so said no big deal will order the smaller one to get me through then place the order as I would normally. All good. Said it would arrive today.

It arrived today. Got out the supplies, beaker, and proceeded to play mad scientist.

Auto mixer, check.
Beaker, check.
Warm RODI water, check.
Ingredients, check.
Scale, check.
Open new container of Carbo Calcium, measure out, check.
Pour carefully into beaker full of RODI water, check.
Turn on magnetic stirrer, check.
Hear daughter laugh then say you goofball, you created a volcano. Check.

I guess the seller mixed up the Carbo Calcium with the Bio Calcium Supplement and it proceeded to create a crazy reaction foaming like crazy. Spilled everywhere over counter, floor, and wrecked the beaker with a white film. Never once dawned on me to check the label as I swore I ordered it. I checked, and I did. They just grabbed the wrong one I guess. No idea what the difference is but whatever it is it did not mix well with RODI water or being stirred. Total bust.

Oh well - out of AFR until next week provided I can find someone who can ship the right stuff 2 day :D

Not sure why I can't edit my post above but I think I found out what caused the eruption.

I had a little bit of the Carbo Calcium left. Maybe 2 scoops. I took the smaller container which I thought was Carbo Calcium but was really Bio Calcium and poured it into the larger container. While measuring to mix I probably got a little bit of the Carbo Calcium which then mixed with the Bio Calcium, then poured into the water, then stirred. Precipitation maybe or some other reaction and thus the mess.

I think that is what happened now that I've gone back through my memory and did an assessment. I'm going to send a note to TM and see what they say because that is the only thing I can think of. That and order the product again but use a different vendor :)

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you're finding out, it can take quite some time to really get everything fully dissolved. If you don't have a magnetic stirrer, a small powerhead can definitely be used :)

If one uses a powerhead, should one expect some fouling chemical precipitation on the pump, that would require periodic soaking in citric acid?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can't believe I'm just discovering this today. Just read all 9 pages. I'll be ordering the ready-to-use stuff this week and probably will try to use the DIY version next.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back