OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't recall how much it cost. I had a lot of stuff laying around. Excluding the air pump, less than $20.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I should consider myself lucky that mine works so well and never overflows.....a lot of people seem to be having issues. To the guy asking about price, I think I spent 60-100 on mine but that is because I went with big 4" pvc pipe and fittings for the tower. Cheaper at 3"

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet people that have overflowing problems is because their ro is a high volume veesion. My ro is only 50 gpd. I doubt ill have overfill problems with this?

ctyler85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as cost goes with the initial build I think I was around $40 starting from scratch. I added a sight glass and some pumps which have increased the price.

As far as overflowing, I don't think it has anything to do with RO/di production rate or flow amount. It doesn't seem to matter how much flow I have, I can't seem to maintain flow through the DI cansiter, the water either gets air locked in the down turn, or the DI is too tightly packed to promote free flow. I honestly have no idea, I ended up just running a booster pump to push the water through the DI resin. It might be the fact that I can't mount the degassing chamber high enough, who knows. It works great for some people and not for others.
db7e2732b6c367c0a32a0c82d0205973.jpg

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as cost goes with the initial build I think I was around $40 starting from scratch. I added a sight glass and some pumps which have increased the price.

As far as overflowing, I don't think it has anything to do with RO/di production rate or flow amount. It doesn't seem to matter how much flow I have, I can't seem to maintain flow through the DI cansiter, the water either gets air locked in the down turn, or the DI is too tightly packed to promote free flow. I honestly have no idea, I ended up just running a booster pump to push the water through the DI resin. It might be the fact that I can't mount the degassing chamber high enough, who knows. It works great for some people and not for others.
db7e2732b6c367c0a32a0c82d0205973.jpg

My tower is definitely set up higher and goes straight down into the DI using ro tubing. Going down under then back up and into your DI like that (if that's how it was set up before the booster pump) may have been your issue, but can't say for sure.

08cffb2a3a04cf2704b45066715fa99e.jpg

ctyler85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tower is definitely set up higher and goes straight down into the DI using ro tubing. Going down under then back up and into your DI like that (if that's how it was set up before the booster pump) may have been your issue, but can't say for sure.

08cffb2a3a04cf2704b45066715fa99e.jpg
It fed strait down into the DI before the pump. I just don't really have the room to set the degasser any higher then the DI, I had the DI set lower but it was then lower then the inlet of the storage cans and the degasser is already hitting the ceiling. But it's working well with the pump so far

Sent from my XT1650 using REEF2REEF mobile app

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It fed strait down into the DI before the pump. I just don't really have the room to set the degasser any higher then the DI, I had the DI set lower but it was then lower then the inlet of the storage cans and the degasser is already hitting the ceiling. But it's working well with the pump so far

Sent from my XT1650 using REEF2REEF mobile app
As long as its working that's what matters, enjoy

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread, but any updates on how to get that balance of water flow as to not overflow the degassing chamber? Also by chance has anyone tested the co2 level in the water and know the aeration time to get it to an acceptable level?

I tested my source water and I’m at about 61ppm of co2. I was told by spectrapure under 10ppm is good, under 5ppm is great.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I'm aware of. I'm not expecting anything as the DIY version is so simple and inexpensive it would be hard to compete with.

Russ

Jeff Jarry reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question I'm wondering if this could work somehow with gassing off co2 for calcium reactors. I'm sure it would have to be reconfigured. Just thinking out loud thanks.

brick-brothers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, is the RO tube that's feeding the the degassing pvc going all the way down in the tube. Or is it just on top? Does it make a difference?

brick-brothers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just Piggybacking on this post. I just build my degassing tower. I wanted to know did anybody run a booster pump before the tower? If so did the degassing tower overflow? I'm trying to avoid any floods, lol

20200928_165509.jpg

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been testing to see if it helps, which it has drastically, now I need to build a permanent chamber.

4373C794-F3B5-48C8-B9FE-DE8F1A5D9066.jpeg

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm guess I am heading in the right direction

yes mine is very simple and cheap as it was a trial to make sure it could resolve the issue...which it has. My Di resin has more than tripled before depleted. I am now almost 500 gallons of product water before my Di canisters need to be replaced. I was around 170 gallons for two canisters.

yman182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bringing this back to life...how are people doing these degassers with an auto shutoff. Since the degasser is not pressurized won’t the RO auto shutoff never kick in?

geologeek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you not simply degas your well water before pump feeding through your RODI unit?

Just have a storage tank of well water that is well aerated, then have your rodi unit pump fed?

yman182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you not simply degas your well water before pump feeding through your RODI unit?

Just have a storage tank of well water that is well aerated, then have your rodi unit pump fed?

yes that is possible, but I’m trying to avoid another storage tank. Between the well tank, softeners tanks (3x), RO drinking water tank, rodi storage tank and the saltwater storage tank, I’m trying to avoid more tanks in the basement!

Back