DIY Custom Lid for Square Glass Tank. Can Acrylic be Siliconed to Glass?

Jimmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m asking for suggestions for a DIY aquarium top.

I recently bought a used 90-gallon square aquarium. The dimensions are 30” L x 30” D x 25” H. The glass thickness appears to be 10mm. Is it okay to silicone acrylic to glass? I’m considering using a 6” piece of acrylic in the middle of the tank, then attach two, 12” pieces of acrylic with hinges to each side of the center acrylic. If I went with glass, I could not be as creative.

Ideas?
Thank you.

90-Gallon.jpg 90-Gallon1.jpg 90-Gallon2.jpg

OP
OP
Jimmi

Jimmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can, but don't expect this connection to have any strengh. Silicone adhers very badly to acrylic.
Any other substances besides silicone to join acrylic to glass? Maybe I should re-think a glass top.

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other substances
I am sure there are some, but they also need to be reef safe, resistant to high ph salt water and create flexible long lasting bonds... maybe some stuff made by NASA;)

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It makes a decent bond as long as you don’t need it to be really strong, like the walls of a large tank. In fact, a lot of AIO tanks use acrylic for the AIO divider with glass walls and it performs fine on smaller tanks. For your application, it should be fine. Not to mention, the risk of loss or damage with your application were it to fail is minimal. I wouldn’t worry about it.

OP
OP
Jimmi

Jimmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It makes a decent bond as long as you don’t need it to be really strong, like the walls of a large tank. In fact, a lot of AIO tanks use acrylic for the AIO divider with glass walls and it performs fine on smaller tanks. For your application, it should be fine. Not to mention, the risk of loss or damage with your application were it to fail is minimal. I wouldn’t worry about it.
Just before I read this, I realized the plastic overflow is attached to the glass. Looks like silicone to me.

Attachments

• Aquarium-overflow.jpg
    Aquarium-overflow.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 37

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
plastic overflow
Probably ABS. You can glue ABS and PVC with silicone but not Acrylic, PP, PE or PET. I wanted to make a small sump out of Acrylic and only had silicone at home. At the beginning the bond was decent, but i ended up never using the tank and left it in my garage. After two years i picked up the tank while cleaning and it fell apart in my hands.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I can't speak to the adhesion properties of acrylic and silicone, I personally wouldn't cover the top of the tank with glass or acrylic. Traps too much heat and will get covered with a film of water and salt creep, obstructing your light.
Have you considered a mesh/screen top ?

OP
OP
Jimmi

Jimmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know of companies that could make a custom lid? Would probably be very expensive.

OP
OP
Jimmi

Jimmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I can't speak to the adhesion properties of acrylic and silicone, I personally wouldn't cover the top of the tank with glass or acrylic. Traps too much heat and will get covered with a film of water and salt creep, obstructing your light.
Have you considered a mesh/screen top ?
I don't like the evaporation factor for a tank with no lid. Also, this adds humidity in my living space. I admit I'm being rather fussy here. (-:

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get the rim clips to rest the acrylic on. You’ll want to keep the width to 12-18” to avoid sagging of the acrylic (depending on thickness of acrylic). Also keep in mind it will affect your lighting as well. Like these:
16pcs Aquarium Fish Tank Glass Cover Clip Support Holder,Clear Color Acrylic Fish Tanks Glass Cover Clip for Rimless Aquariums(6mm) https://a.co/d/3agVFbl

OP
OP
Jimmi

Jimmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get the rim clips to rest the acrylic on. You’ll want to keep the width to 12-18” to avoid sagging of the acrylic (depending on thickness of acrylic). Also keep in mind it will affect your lighting as well. Like these:
16pcs Aquarium Fish Tank Glass Cover Clip Support Holder,Clear Color Acrylic Fish Tanks Glass Cover Clip for Rimless Aquariums(6mm) https://a.co/d/3agVFbl
OMG. These rim clips look like they will work fantastically. I'm placing an order now.
Thanks so much.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicone bonds acrylic to glass just fine. All you need to do is prep the surfaces and make sure they are clean and oil free. The clips are a good way to go. Stay away from acrylic though. It will eventually bow. Use polycarbonate (lexan) it won't bow. We could have made your lid for you. Very reasonable price too. >>> https://www.tenecoraquariums.com/collections/glass-tank-lids-unbreakable-lexan®

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 60.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back