DIY External/HOB PVC Filter

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if this would work. I really don't have much room by my tank. Plus I have an AIO tank that I believe it all tempered glass so I can not drill it. I want to build a HOB Canister filter that I can fill with either filter floss, cheato w/ light, or whatever you guys think would help. I am going to use a maxijet and put it in the back of the tank. It will be conected to a PVC pipe going out of the tank that will be connected to the lower end of a 4" diameter PVC pipe. The the water would rise of the pipe to another PVC pipe the will dump in to the tank again. WIll this work?

It is a crappy siagram but you get the idea.
untitled.jpg

OP
OP
BlazinNano

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think one of those LED puck lights from Home Depot would be strong enough? If I make it a refuge I should use a smaller pump so the water does don't blast through it right?

Yellowtang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won't be able to run water to fast and you'll have to keep the chaeto cliped so it will tumble, you could also use a 6 or 8 inch pvc also that would give you a little more room. I wouldn't expect it to help a lot but every little bit helps some times.
There isn't a Home Depot here so I know nothing about the light.

JR,

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any light will work. I think this is a good idea! I love it when people come up with good ideas! I would do a nice 3 inch sand bed some rubble rock and top off with cheato and any light will work really.

OP
OP
BlazinNano

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never thought about sand. That is where the water would come in so the sand would filter out a lot and the rock and cheato would each everything. I am going to have to try it.

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make the intake higher up on the tube and put a 90 degree elbow in the side of the pvc so it forces water into the sand and will also creat a slow flow thru rate which is what you want!

Back