DIY fish food with fresh caught fish questions

juniorrocketdad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title suggests I am curious about what parts of the fish would be the most nutritional in a diy fish food. My other favorite hobby is fishing and I could see catching fish fresh from the ocean to make my own fish food with.

As humans we mostly only eat the filets of the fish and are taught to stay away from the guts for risk of parasites(mostly tape worms), but i am wondering if this part is good to give our fish since i would think it probably is loaded with nutrients. and to kill the parasites i wonder if it would be beneficial to barely cook the fish just to kill any parasites than may be there.

This also brings the question of have people every gotten there fish sick with diseases such as ich and velvet from the food they feed, i wonder how long the ich could survive on a fish that is say in the refrigerator or freezer and if that should be standard protocol for diy foods to "quarantine the food out of water for a few days-weeks.

I am from New Jersey so the fish i would likely use would be things like sea robins and blue fish since they are a typical bi-catch with no size or number limit. These are considered trash fish to most people but i'm sure they have good nutritional value for fish. Also if the typically trash parts of the fish are safe to feed than it would be easy to diversify the menu with an immense variety of other fish.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear where your coming from.

FWIW:
I just feed LRS Reef Frenzy / and Sallies Seaweed Salad (Nori) when it comes to keeping my fish healthy.
The LRS Fish Frenzy is great too.

http://www.larrysreefservices.com/faq.html

:)

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sub in you local fish fillets. Last batch I made was two years ago, and I am using up the last vacuumed sealed portion now;)
Reef food recipe.png

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont feed mine as a primary diet.
So this isnt designed to be 100% nutrition. Chopped squid and mussels with measured amount of reef chili thrown in. Then frozen into cubes. Fed as a snack for corals and fish once a week.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello , This is what I as a supplement. Your coastal so fish markets are doable . I feed clam,oyster, shrimp heads .If I bring a fish home to eat ,I'll freeze any roe, heart, liver & anything except intestine parts . I also use whole chopped Glass minnow also head to tail 1 Just freeze it 1st. Hopefully freezing will help kill parasites etc &make it a lot easier the work with.. After all in the wild your fish were eating just about anything they could get their choppers on . I personally think it's a great idea.

OP
OP
juniorrocketdad

juniorrocketdad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello , This is what I as a supplement. Your coastal so fish markets are doable . I feed clam,oyster, shrimp heads .If I bring a fish home to eat ,I'll freeze any roe, heart, liver & anything except intestine parts . I also use whole chopped Glass minnow also head to tail 1 Just freeze it 1st. Hopefully freezing will help kill parasites etc &make it a lot easier the work with.. After all in the wild your fish were eating just about anything they could get their choppers on . I personally think it's a great idea.

That’s where my head was at thanks for the confirmation, next time I catch some fish I’ll try to freeze all the his except for the stomach since that’s where most of the parasites are from what I’ve read. But I’m the end you’re absolutely right than in the old they are eaten whole, bones guts and all

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When feeding I toss in reef nutrition products oyster feast, roti feast, and R.O.E. and vitamins with some extra mysis. The kids love it:)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back