DIY frag tank. Question about Silicone tinting

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there friends!
So I'm building a small custom size 37 gallon (30x24x12) frag tank. I had this cool idea to make the seams glow but I'm not sure if it is a safe one or not. My plan was to use a 100% silicone adhesive to bond the glass together using the injection method and using 1 oz per tube of glowing acrylic paint to tint the silicone. I was going to mix the paint into the silicone put it back into the tube and bond away. Do you think the acrylic will weaken the joints or make them prone to cracking over time? The product is called Art 'N Glow glow paint.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there friends!
So I'm building a small custom size 37 gallon (30x24x12) frag tank. I had this cool idea to make the seams glow but I'm not sure if it is a safe one or not. My plan was to use a 100% silicone adhesive to bond the glass together using the injection method and using 1 oz per tube of glowing acrylic paint to tint the silicone. I was going to mix the paint into the silicone put it back into the tube and bond away. Do you think the acrylic will weaken the joints or make them prone to cracking over time? The product is called Art 'N Glow glow paint.
Hey atleast it was an idea......

I think this is a recipe for disaster myself...

If it was me and i was dead set on doing this, i would cut thick florescent acrylic sheets to a square size appropriate and then diagonal cut them and try to use them as armoring when building the tank.....

Food for thought...they glow under actinics

Screenshot_20220619-145404_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to say if it will weaken the bond. I guess it's possible if the paint breaks down over time in saltwater and you have sections that might not have mixed thoroughly you could be left with gaps in the silicone. Also, is it even safe in water/saltwater meaning could it leach toxins into the water? I would contact the company to find out. Only they can tell you. Having said that if it has any poison symbols on the packaging or the fine print says to not get on the skin or ingest then that might speak to toxins in it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back