DIY Glass Tank Kits. Anyone interested in building your with pre-cut panels?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The glass tank kits would not be built to order. We would simply bring a couple container loads of popular sizes and option them with the innards. As I posted earlier, most of the well-known Chinese glass tanks are made by one company. Bringing these in flat saves big bucks. One problem is the cost of a container has gotten crazy high. Fact: the cost of the containers got so high that a fully laden ship sailing from China to the West Coast generated enough profit to pay for the ship! It's like buying a car and paying for it with one Uber ride.

Well dang. Sounds like we should all be building ships instead of messing around with this reef stuff ;)

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco?? We don't compete in that space. Those tanks are based on the razor blade model. They essentially give it away so you can buy other higher profit "stuff". We worked with that other larger chain back in the day and learned a lot about the chain store business. BTW, I am the guy that designed those store systems. Look familiar?

9BE49E8E-D9A8-4C02-8AE4-B9DD17DB2052.JPG

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The glass tank kits would not be built to order. We would simply bring a couple container loads of popular sizes and option them with the innards. As I posted earlier, most of the well-known Chinese glass tanks are made by one company. Bringing these in flat saves big bucks. One problem is the cost of a container has gotten crazy high. Fact: the cost of the containers got so high that a fully laden ship sailing from China to the West Coast generated enough profit to pay for the ship! It's like buying a car and paying for it with one Uber ride.
Oh dang! Crazy about container costs! And that sounds like a very good idea on paper. Just run into the issues of accessibility with the wholes for drilling it. But Personally I know at least 3 people who would love to build their own tank, and the bits for drilling are not expensive. So I don’t believe accessibility of overflows to be the debilitating issue. Overall I think this is a great idea and can’t wait to see it progress

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh dang! Crazy about container costs! And that sounds like a very good idea on paper. Just run into the issues of accessibility with the wholes for drilling it. But Personally I know at least 3 people who would love to build their own tank, and the bits for drilling are not expensive. So I don’t believe accessibility of overflows to be the debilitating issue. Overall I think this is a great idea and can’t wait to see it progress
That's where the PVC bottoms come in. Simple hole saw. We like to move fast on stuff.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this would be a really cool idea, and I’d be particularly interested in tryin to make a smaller 10-20g AIO tank. I think focusing on the smaller tanks has some benefit to both parties. For customers they might be more willing to give it a shot on a smaller tank in case they (I) mess it up. And as the size of a tank goes up, so too does the disaster from any missteps in constructing it. Basically, maybe the smaller side of things (e.g. less than 100g) offer a nice middle ground on the risk to reward of diy for people like me that have always been curious but never jumped in.

The old pros who don’t blink an eye at constructing and sealing their own tank or even huge tanks might be a smaller market than people that would be thinking “if I’m going to screw up, I’m going to screw up small.”

A couple of other things:

1. Using Starfire/low iron/“ultra clear” glass is great, but there is no need to use starfire glass on the bottom, and depending on a person’s individual preference, anything but the front viewing panel. It’s possible that the savings come from ordering in bulk from the glass supplier, but if the same supplier also has “regular” glass, perhaps having a flat pack with a star fire viewing panel and sides but regular glass on the bottom and back could save some money.

2. PVC bottoms would be great, but the concerns mentioned above about pvc/glass bonds are real.

3. Including strips/materials needed for reinforced seams, internal braces, and similar things would just be next level.

Fun fact for everyone: prior to the chaos, a fully loaded shipping container would normally run about $3500-$4500 shipping cost. These days the absolute lowest rates are $26,000 per container *minimum*

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this would be a really cool idea, and I’d be particularly interested in tryin to make a smaller 10-20g AIO tank. I think focusing on the smaller tanks has some benefit to both parties. For customers they might be more willing to give it a shot on a smaller tank in case they (I) mess it up. And as the size of a tank goes up, so too does the disaster from any missteps in constructing it. Basically, maybe the smaller side of things (e.g. less than 100g) offer a nice middle ground on the risk to reward of diy for people like me that have always been curious but never jumped in.

The old pros who don’t blink an eye at constructing and sealing their own tank or even huge tanks might be a smaller market than people that would be thinking “if I’m going to screw up, I’m going to screw up small.”

A couple of other things:

1. Using Starfire/low iron/“ultra clear” glass is great, but there is no need to use starfire glass on the bottom, and depending on a person’s individual preference, anything but the front viewing panel. It’s possible that the savings come from ordering in bulk from the glass supplier, but if the same supplier also has “regular” glass, perhaps having a flat pack with a star fire viewing panel and sides but regular glass on the bottom and back could save some money.

2. PVC bottoms would be great, but the concerns mentioned above about pvc/glass bonds are real.

3. Including strips/materials needed for reinforced seams, internal braces, and similar things would just be next level.

Fun fact for everyone: prior to the chaos, a fully loaded shipping container would normally run about $3500-$4500 shipping cost. These days the absolute lowest rates are $26,000 per container *minimum*

+2 for the reinforced seams!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea for nanos.

As far as warranty goes... people buy tanks and drill them which you can't expect to get warranty on if you mess it up. I see this as the same idea.

Also it is wayyyyy easier to ship/replace a single glass panel or such.

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like this idea...

What about DIY acrylic sumps?? I know you guys do acrylic already, and sumps, but what about laser cut/ pre cut acrylic kit for people that want a cheaper diy option? I attempted to make my own sump, it was supper easy and obviously allows one to customize everything.... even the acrylic color! The hardest part for any diy'er was getting clean cuts! Unless you have a laser cnc machine to use id imagine that's a large market. There are alot of custom sump acrylic builders out there but the wait times are a deal breaker for many too.

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A quick off topic note:

Next you can start planning some t-slot aluminum stand kits and blow everyone’s mind ;)
Not sure if this was an inside joke I'm not aware off

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha they beat you to that already!

Woah no way!!! Cool!

I seriously just discovered this company a few days ago when I stumbled across a recent thread in their new small AIO tanks. I went to their website and browsed around a bit, but never saw those! That’s sweet!

Not sure if this was an inside joke I'm not aware off

Nope… I just had no idea what I was talking about lol

I just learned of these guys a few days ago, and happened to be talking to my neighbor today about trying to build our own t-slot alluminum stands, so it was on the top of my mind. :)

Gonna have to check their stuff out!

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a diy SUMP option would be neat. Esp if your able to do 40g breeder. I know there are some baffle kit sellers (small guys)out there. Maybe they might be interested in teaming up?

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this idea...

What about DIY acrylic sumps?? I know you guys do acrylic already, and sumps, but what about laser cut/ pre cut acrylic kit for people that want a cheaper diy option? I attempted to make my own sump, it was supper easy and obviously allows one to customize everything.... even the acrylic color! The hardest part for any diy'er was getting clean cuts! Unless you have a laser cnc machine to use id imagine that's a large market. There are alot of custom sump acrylic builders out there but the wait times are a deal breaker for many too.

I think a diy SUMP option would be neat. Esp if your able to do 40g breeder. I know there are some baffle kit sellers (small guys)out there. Maybe they might be interested in teaming up?

Not exactly an acrylic sump, but they have these

https://tenecoraquariums.com/produc...or-aqueon®-glass-tanks?variant=40897982922913

5G Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be overkill but I’d love to have a small like 2 gallon sump below my nano reef tank is it possible you could do a small sump for the nano all in one line of tanks you guys have? Cause especially with a reef tank the filtration is key and an all in one doesn’t provide enough room for filter rollers or even all the media I want. Could you guys do this?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back