DIY KZ Coral Snow (with >97% purity)

DiZASTiX

Spikeasaurus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will settle though in the bottle, after not too long. I always make sure to shake it up before using, so each time the concentration in the bottle is about the same. When you draw out the solution, it should have the opacity of milk, not of .. dirty water.

I use pretty much the whole line of KZ products, on both systems. I do hand dose ZEOlife. I'd imagine there'd be a synergistic effect with the combination of:
  • Ozone -- not recommended by KZ, but has always worked for me. I use this for clarity only. I think this produces the most obvious effect.
  • ROX carbon -- dosed in accordance to KZ's ZEOvit System recommendations.
  • Some sort of carbon dosing (I use self-manufactured NO3:pO4-x with vinegar and vodka)
  • ZEObac -- not recommended by @Randy Holmes-Farley , but it's part of the ZEOvit System. I would be inclined to agree with Randy I'd think, but at 2 drops System A and 2 drops System B, it's not a huge monetary investment either. Randy has incredible subject matter expertise on chemistry and biochem.
  • ZEOzym -- increases skimmate substantially and helps improve clarity and bacterial function. I did notice anecdotally that System B cycled extremely quickly with this product.
  • Neptune DōS Auto Water Changes -- I think this would have an effect too. Averaged out, it'd be around a 25% water change weekly, continuously, for both System A and System B.
I dose all of these, sometimes at the same time, but usually at least on a daily basis, except when I'm on travel.

OP
OP
jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, yes, for some reason I thought it didn’t matter and in this instance I assume I was ok as there is nothing to precipitate out, although, whose yo say I don’t have a massive clump at the bottom of the bottle as it’s not a clear bottle. Either way, should be ok this time.
FYI the calcium carbonate powder will never dissolve and will settle back at the bottom of the bottle after an hour or so of shaking it up. That's why you should shake vigorously before dosing so that it will resuspend into the bottle.

EDIT: Didn't see the reply above until it loaded the next page, it's covered there. :p

OP
OP
jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so how many people are using this?

giphy.gif

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I do as I hate using any form of carbon with my acro dominated tank .

This is what I was afraid of, everytime I tried to use actual carbon my acros did not like it but I also want clear water without the yellow tinge I have so I was thinking about using this. You use this in your acro dominated tank and it works great?

DiZASTiX

Spikeasaurus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EDIT: Didn't see the reply above until it loaded the next page, it's covered there. :p

Nothing wrong with a second opinion.

I think it's hard to say how many, as it's not like "who uses skimmers?" (most people), "who uses calcium reactors vs dosing?" (harder to say, but I'd venture by volume, more on calcium reactors, but by aquarists, on the dosing side) .. this starts venturing off into the land of optional things.

I'd assume it's less common than activated carbon but more common than ozone.

I'm over at KZ forums too for KZ-specific discussions, and if you look at KZ Reef Snow, you'll get an idea. Of course, you'll want to consider that it's basically the same product as any "snow" product by other manufacturers.

For me, for all reef systems, I use all three of ozone, BRS ROX activated carbon, and KZ Reef Snow (manufactured by myself). Reef systems are mixed reef, evenly split between every type of coral ;Playful

Reefdom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I know it will never dissolve, probably badly explained by myself, never mind.

Regarding the zeobak not being recommended by Randy, why?

And when I asked about dosing eith I meant mixed either with the snow before adding to the tank, or at the same time as it. Does it even matter.

DiZASTiX

Spikeasaurus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I know it will never dissolve, probably badly explained by myself, never mind.

Regarding the zeobak not being recommended by Randy, why?

And when I asked about dosing eith I meant mixed either with the snow before adding to the tank, or at the same time as it. Does it even matter.

I don't want to put words in Randy's mouth, but the gist was that (1) the water already contains bacteria capable of denitrification simply by dosing a carbon source (e.g., certain alcohols such as vodka, vinegar, sugar) and (2) to be imprecise, my words: I'd assume a large portion of people don't dose denitrification bacteria in conjunction with carbon dosing, and there isn't a documented difference.

Perhaps I can achieve denitrification faster in response to an increased load (e.g., added new fish).

Randy is very good about saving people money, but producing products that are sometimes even better than what you might purchase otherwise (provided you are accurate and precise and follow the instructions).

As for order of operations, I don't believe it matters.

When in doubt, follow KZ ZEOvit's methodology:
  1. Ignore the bottle instructions.
  2. Read the latest instructions from KZ's website or forums.
  3. Dose accordingly, and then increase or decrease, while keeping watch on changes.
I will say for KZ Snow, a good swig in each REEF system is all it takes. I don't measure on this product. Someone will misinterpret this, so I'll clarify: I don't use this in my planted system. It might be fine but I've never tried it.

@codydemmel4 -- You may want to try using KZ ZEOvit's dosing regime for activated carbon. I use that with my systems with good results. I do measure carefully:

0.5L / 1000L; exchange every 2 weeks
Source: KZ (2018)

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I was afraid of, everytime I tried to use actual carbon my acros did not like it but I also want clear water without the yellow tinge I have so I was thinking about using this. You use this in your acro dominated tank and it works great?

Yes . Actually my tank is almost 90-95% acroporas and I never had any ill effect .
It’s just economical compared to KZ coral snow and I have even dosed in triple - 4 times of the recommended dosage by KZ without any
ill effects

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes . Actually my tank is almost 90-95% acroporas and I never had any ill effect .
It’s just economical compared to KZ coral snow and I have even dosed in triple - 4 times of the recommended dosage by KZ without any
ill effects

Thank you! How often are you dosing it?

TheDashCave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump*

I can only seem to find 94% in the powder.

Checking in to see if anyone is still doing this, and if there have been any ill effects using the 94% purity.

Thanks guys.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loudwolf is my go to chemical company, their calcium carbonate is 97.55%. Available on Amazon and other places.

TheDashCave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased the 94%+ dosed it three times now over the course of a few weeks. Everything is healthy and def got the water cleaner. I don't run carbon and it made a noticeable difference. Skimmer skimmed better as well.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys think about the "Plus" side of the the Coral Snow Plus? Anybody just adding lanthanum chloride directly to the tank when doing the DIY? I am find mixed feelings about adding the LC directly to the tank.

The question I have is that if Coral Snow Plus and the others are just LC mixed in, couldn't we just do the same in similar dosage with the DIY?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back