DIY KZ Coral Snow (with >97% purity)

cichlidtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using this mix for a couple month's. It clears the water nicely. I used the 5 Tbsp to 250ml of RODI and mix in a water bottle. I usually add about once a week or when I remember. It seems to work well with no issues that I have noticed. I bought the powder from Amazon. As a side note, you can also use it to make chalk paint.

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there additional benefit from KZ's addition of Mag in their product?

Have they added something else to create a secret formula?

If calcium carbonate is basically the same as the KZ product, my first thought, edited for the forum is, What a bunch of jerks, selling an inexpensive product for high price!!! :mad:

I suspect many of theirs and other companies products are purely slick marketing!

OP
OP
jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there additional benefit from KZ's addition of Mag in their product?

Have they added something else to create a secret formula?

If calcium carbonate is basically the same as the KZ product, my first thought, edited for the forum is, What a bunch of jerks, selling an inexpensive product for high price!!! :mad:

I suspect many of theirs and other companies products are purely slick marketing!
Magnesium carbonate is simply an impurity in the limestone that is pulverized to make the KZ product, but its addition doesn't do anything differently than pure calcium carbonate.

You think that this product has the slick marketing? People buy ZeoSpur and it is just complexed copper dosed in low amounts to force bleaching in corals :p

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love Coral Snow clears up many issues in my reef over the years. I have used it with cynao clean to get rid of a cyanobacterial issue caused by dosing this past week. Good tool to have in the old aquarium bottle box.:)

Hawain_Rob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make my own aswell. Bought some of chaulk power stuff on amazon can remember what's it called.. @twilliard would this effect the h202 dosing I'm doing?

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this simply a highly concentrated two-parts calcium mix? I'm assuming I could use the bulk dry calcium from BRS or DFS?

Never mind I realized this is calcium carbonate and not chloride!

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think that this product has the slick marketing? People buy ZeoSpur and it is just complexed copper dosed in low amounts to force bleaching in corals :p[/QUOTE said:
You are freaking kidding!!!!!

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to BUMP this thread! Is no one else upset about this? Zerospur to lighten coral color, get the "pastel," look is copper!!!!! No one is aghast? We strive for healthy fish and invertebrates often spending large amts of money and bubbling gets 1000 posts but this gets little attention?? Maybe some of you are thinking, but I don't buy KZ, well I guarantee other companies are doing the same thing!! Look at aminos, yes I know some will say they're getting results, but I've read the science and it doesn't support dosing aminos, simply coral uptake/use them. They come from food! It's just parts of protein (simplified)!

I know this is a rant! I'm just upset that companies charge so much for chemicals or elements that can be purchased much cheaper!

OP
OP
jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happens all the time in the hobby because the general hobbyist doesn't care to do the research on the hows and whys of what they put in their tanks, and that 99% of the 'reef companies just take a generic bulk product and repackage it. This is fine, IMHO, as long as the mark-up is modest, but some just really ream their customers, or even worse don't even put what is inside the supplement on the bottle or available anywhere.

OP
OP
jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be very unlikely to properly show before and after photos, cell phones (which the majority of reefers posting use) cannot capture the difference, even with a DSLR it is very difficult to get a clear shot showing the difference, the results are generally subtle.

This is an 'after' photo. A 'before' photo would have been unable to show the small particulates in the water column that I typically see.
24492404023_04846ebca4_o.jpg

FranklinDattein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the DIY recipe for 3 months and I couldn't really see an improvement in water clarity or sedimentation of small particles. The good thing is that there weren't any side effects, either. (mixed reef, with SPS, LPS, anemones and clams)

It is worth saying my tank's water is already very clear due to high absorption GAC.

Back