DIY KZ Coral Snow (with >97% purity)

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using it for a while now ,once a week and it hasn’t affected anything.
Mixed reef with a bunch of sps lps and softies

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello DIY'ers, I'm testing this for myself now. Total water volume is 135 gallons. I dosed 1/2 tablespoon into a cup of water, mixed up the slurry and poured it all into my sump at once.

For filtration I'm using a large skimmer and a set of seven 10 micron filter socks. It's been less than an hour and the cloudiness is subsiding quite a bit but its still too soon to tell. One thing I do notice is that the particles that were in the water column in the first place show signs of the calcium carbonate adhering to them. They are now all white looking and easier to see. Hoping for good results as others have reported and will my own report results tomorrow.

Last nights test gave overall positive results. Tank looked clearer this morning and there is nothing negative to report. In examining the socks, there is more gunk in them than usual. One nights dose isn't going to change anyone's life but I can see why others have touted its possible long term benefits. I'm going to continue to dose a small amount every couple of nights using an automated doser/controller.

Last edited:

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last nights test gave overall positive results. Tank looked clearer this morning and there is nothing negative to report. In examining the socks, there is more gunk in them than usual. One nights dose isn't going to change anyone's life but I can see why others have touted its possible long term benefits. I'm going to continue to dose a small amount every couple of nights using an automated doser/controller.

Problem with the doser is , you’ll need to shake it before dosing every time. It settles out in the container you have it in

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem with the doser is , you’ll need to shake it before dosing every time. It settles out in the container you have it in

That makes sense. Thanks for the reminder. I could always order a magnetic stirrer from GHL since that is the brand of controller I use. They run around $40 but it might be worth it.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone dosing this without first making a stock solution? To me it seems simpler to put a scoop into a bottle of tank water, shake it up and pour the whole thing in the sump. As opposed to making up a solution, storing it, and then measuring out mL each time. But I'm trying to get a ballpark idea of how much to use when doing this method.

My tank is 180 display with 300-350g total volume (depending on if the water change barrel is inline). I bought some from Amazon and added 1/4 tsp shortly after lights out but from what I could tell the tank didn't cloud up that bad.

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 2 x the dose I can still see in it
I think it comes out to 5.75grams for your volume dry.

|FATHOM|

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh not hurt at all I have both versions but after buying the kz coral snow I realized that it's not the same stuff and there's no way to tell without getting specific ingredients that KZ uses. Btw they have another version of coral snow now which is called coral snow plus.

Sure comes off that way. You sound like a complete ********* in every single post in this thread. Jedi is a stand up dude for not sinking down to your level and just contributing knowledge. Not me fanboy, I'm petty.

October Sky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything else out there that is DIY on the cheap but I'm paying $Texas for?

Nirethell

Typical Wannabe Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know if a lower % would hurt anything? I ordered the same one as everyone else the 97% and they sent me 94%... Just wondering if that would have an adverse effects.. if it would or if no one knows ill just request a refund and try to order it again.

OP
OP
jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just means it is less pure. Should not really change anything, but you don't know what the few percent less will be. I personally would not worry about it, though, even if it were something toxic you're using so little of it along with a protein skimmer that it won't affect anything.

Nirethell

Typical Wannabe Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just means it is less pure. Should not really change anything, but you don't know what the few percent less will be. I personally would not worry about it, though, even if it were something toxic you're using so little of it along with a protein skimmer that it won't affect anything.

Thanks much, I didn't want to use it without at least checking first. I plan on mixing a little up tonight and giving it a go. Thanks for this @jedimasterben

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back