DIY (Mini LCD Clock - Feeder MINDER) Feeding Anthias / Lower or Raise your Nutrients (N & P)

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THIS PROBABLY Belongs in this DIY FORUM Section.....

-> Along with some of my other projects that are mentioned in my Tank Thread
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/%E2%98%85-110-gallon-in-wall-office-dream-sps-reef-tank-%E2%98%85-project-genesis-total-automation-diy-more-%E2%98%85.395704/

This idea came up just as I am about to get more Anthias, and they require Frequent, small regular Feeding.

I just lost one Carriberryi Anthias in DT after having a pair (possibly not fed enough, or the Copper Treament in QT finally caught up on organ damage). 3 more Anthias on the way.

Feeding properly could also improved Nutrients, affect your Nitrates, and Phosphates, and coral/fish happiness. (Maybe not much, but every bit helps. if consistent and over time)

Basically I'm a busy Dad, with 3 teens and I work from home, so plenty of distractions. (even thought my fish tank is in the my Wall of Office which I see all day)

Some Days I forget to feed, other days I overfeed (memory lapses due to many distractions, phone calls, txts, doorbell ringing, driving kids everywhere).

I was going to do a white board reminder, or prepare daily portions but that's just messy, or more work.

CAN YOU TRUST YOUR FISH TO TELL YOU when it's Time to FEED Them :)

So this Simple Cheap Clock with Status Animation will do the job.

-----> THE MORE FISH SWIMMING, the Hungrier the Fish Are since it's been a while. Time to FEED (little... More.....a lot)
-----> Only 1 or 2 fish SWIMMING. To early to feed.

((( THE DIY Ardiuno FISH FEEDER MINDER * Gizmo * ))) FEED MATE Prototype V1.0

It's not 100% done, but fully working with current Features.

HERE IS A Preliminary DEMO on YouTube (just hit play)

In the video you can see when I get Distracted (like making this Feeder Minder) that the Tang who I neglected feeding, it really trying to get my attention to Feed him.

Anyone want to build one? (Cheap and Easy to Wire up)
It all can be assembled to be the Size of a LARGE BIC LIGHTER, or bigger in a case.

I can send you code once I an finished testing and all features.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are the parts you will need. (Wiring Diagram coming)

#1] (Mini Ardiuno Nano Computer with USB MIN-B Cable) https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Freeshipping-Nano-3-0-controller-compatible-with-arduino-nano-CH340-USB-driver-with-CABLE-NANO-V3/2035514330.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.120.b2d7580cdFuulF&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_4_10065_10068_10130_10547_319_317_10548_10696_5728811_453_10084_454_10083_10618_10139_10307_537_536_5733215_5733315_328_10059_10884_5731015_10887_5733115_100031_321_5733413_322_10103_5733611_5733512,searchweb201603_55,ppcSwitch_0&algo_expid=565fae09-36d5-4420-85b9-070382381862-16&algo_pvid=565fae09-36d5-4420-85b9-070382381862

#2] (2 Line LCD Display with I2C connector) https://www.aliexpress.com/item/LCD1602-I2C-LCD-1602-module-Blue-screen-IIC-I2C-for-arduino-LCD1602-Adapter-
plate/32829729414.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.5a334c4d9c9nD3

#3] (Clock Module...CR1220 Coin battery Needed) https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs-RTC-real-time-clock-module-DS3231SN-ChronoDot-V2-0-I2C-for-Memory-DS3231-module/32841674127.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.50204c4d3vyotu

#4] (Wires)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/20pcs-20cm-2-54mm-1p-1p-Pin-Female-to-Male-Color-Breadboard-Cable-Jump-Wire-Jumper/32624069036.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4da2nRUX

5) ANY USB POWER ADAPTER kicking around the house

A wired button may be needed to enhance features, but it currently works by just resetting the module (on board reset button)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The concept is basically a REMINDER and it shows A Cute Fish Themed Animated Time Lapsed visual.....
SO I GOING to made a CLONE MOD another one for my SON (Super Mario, PACman, etc.... a Reminder to Get off Chair from Endless Video Game Playing)

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, you're absolutely killing it with these gadgets! Keep up the good work!

Thanks. It's fun to make the hobby more fun than Watching SPS Grow Slowly, or Die Quickly.

BTW.

LOOKING FOR MORE IDEA's to make it better. (let 's get some TEAM REEFER creativity going here)..

The module has a tons of space left for mode code....

.... Thinking, (TANK Anniversary Animation).........(Reminders to clean pumps, etc) (How about A Happy Birthday message for Tank owner...YOU)....etc

Also looking for Artistic Bitmap Character Creativity, That fish took me forever to figure out in a 7x8 bitmap. (I will show you a simple editor)

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HERE IS THE WIRING DIAGRAM V1.0 (Simple Buttonless Reset) (Parts are listed above)

First here is the Audiuno micro-computer user manual
https://www.arduino.cc/en/uploads/Main/ArduinoNanoManual23.pdf

All the Parts have LABELS (like GND, 5V, SDA, SCL, A4, A5)....Some Nano Versions have pins in different order so look closely.

45734288972_611664f4d7_c.jpg

To hook this up you will need (all the 3 modules [Nano,Clock,Display] ) and :

-> The 8 Jumper Wires (or can solder wires directly)
-> The USB Adapter
-> The USB Micro Cable
-> 1 Battery

The code and method to install will come soon....

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
V1.0 Code Complete (Working on V1.b)

So I fine tuned all the code for a complete working "Fish Mate".
...Now with Selectable "Per Fish" value in MINS. (ie 15mins,30mins, 1 hr)

I'm actually watching my minder and I can tell, my instinct to feed fish was TOO OFTEN.

Next step is to make 1.B version (MOD) for my SON, to give him some feedback his Video Game playing time. (He thinks he doesn't spend too much time)

Simple Change ( Replace FISH with a different Character, animated character, or even multiple characters)

Working on a few Ideas with the CHARACTER MAP editor

45786441201_050dd18ce3_n.jpg

This would be even better, but bitmaps too large. Must be reduced to 5x7 pixels. (isn't easy)

45736602852_caeb77b6b8_m.jpg

You get the Idea where I am going here (on the LCD display)

Last edited:

IgnatiusRath

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sir, just made a Tamagotchi (TankAgotchi ;)) with a purpose! I tend to have Wunderlist remind me of big to-do tasks, but I love this idea for little things you don't want to keep track of in a calendar or notes that you might miss or ignore too easily. Things like tank anniversary I might have a calendar note saved for on my phone, but it would likely pop while I'm at work and I'd forget it. And more important than my own birthday, my Girlfriend and Mothers birthday!!! I can use all the reminders I can find to not forget those days.

What bitmap editor are you using for the chars?

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sir, just made a Tamagotchi (TankAgotchi ;)) with a purpose! I tend to have Wunderlist remind me of big to-do tasks, but I love this idea for little things you don't want to keep track of in a calendar or notes that you might miss or ignore too easily. Things like tank anniversary I might have a calendar note saved for on my phone, but it would likely pop while I'm at work and I'd forget it. And more important than my own birthday, my Girlfriend and Mothers birthday!!! I can use all the reminders I can find to not forget those days.

What bitmap editor are you using for the chars?
The Character editor I use for editing and then previewing is PRIVATE CHACTER EDITOR (comes with Windows)
But since the # of bits are small I just mapped it out manually for 1 IMAGE.

Here is what the ARDIUNO CODE looks like for the MAP (of the Fish Going right).
1=PIXEL ON, 0=Pixel OFF

// FISH Right CHAR
byte fishR[8] = {
B00000,
B00100,
B00110,
B10101,
B11111,
B10110,
B00100,
};

But this is a Gizmo/Toy as you say isn't your Life Sustaining reminder. Keep your important reminders in Calendars, Phones.
There is no fancy Keyboard....But a One Time config Date set would last forever.
The "Anniversary" or "your Birthday" message would just scroll all day, and if you see it....Special.....If Not. Next year.

Clean Skimmer reminder could Display (few time a day) till manually cleared. (with Soft beep)....Again.....to complicated to edit....Would have to be a Certain Period (preset) and when you hit reset counter re-starts. (Not critical, but when used would work)

I also have some $0.02 pizzo buzzers that I can add on, that will play beeps, sounds, and even crappy voice messages.

Last edited:

IgnatiusRath

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, I'll see if I can get some time to play with characters in between builds tomorrow.

A small buzzer or tone would be really nice. Hehe, possibly as reminder to get up and stop staring at the fish tank and get back to work. I'm sure I'm not alone in having gotten stuck watching my tank instead of doing things around the house.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, I'll see if I can get some time to play with characters in between builds tomorrow.

A small buzzer or tone would be really nice. Hehe, possibly as reminder to get up and stop staring at the fish tank and get back to work. I'm sure I'm not alone in having gotten stuck watching my tank instead of doing things around the house.
Cool. Any fun Characters would help. (remember the Single Character LCD limit is 5 pixels wide, and 7 Tall). Two characters can be side by side, but there will be a gap. Same for characters stacked.

The sky's the limit. Creativity is all it takes.
Fooling around with some improvements, since tough to count the moving fish.

How is this. Flashes (over Date line) once Every a few Fish Passes......

44874709875_2a9cca1335.jpg

LF=Last Feed
Feeds is # of Feeds on today's Date.

Last edited:

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This might be a fun gadget for my son's pico he's getting for Christmas.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be a fun gadget for my son's pico he's getting for Christmas.
I hope he doesn't ready your posts or you just spoiled the Christmas Gift Surprise about the "pico"

But it could be good for kids to not overfeed and pollute tanks.
Two years ago I asked my neighbour to feed my fish while away for a week...He brought his kids, and all 3 of them took Turns Feeding. :( DAILY :( :(
My fish were happy :) .... I was not when I got back to Skimmer overflowing, and algae starting strong.

I have enough parts to build 4 more TANK MATES right now. If interest is there for a few more....Why not (if I have time). You would just pay for shipping.
Or you can built it yourself. It's only a few wires ,and all clip on. Glue gun to hold them strong.
Nothing here but low power Phone Charger Power. Nobody will be getting killed or house burning down.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SOME CASE IDEAS ( Looking for suggestions)

Bit too early to talk cases, till it's complete.....but I like to tackle projects on all fronts

There are some on amazon, but then the cost to make goes up (almost more than the parts), and not all ideal.
Here are some examples. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=ardiuno+cases

A Cardboard or Jewelry box might be more cost effective.

I was also thinking would look really nice encased in CLEAR CASTING resin for like making paperweight.
https://www.amazon.ca/Clear-Casting...ocphy=9000799&hvtargid=pla-314762851325&psc=1
Not cheap and not safe to use indoors due to fumes. (but would look great, if I learned to do the resin casting)

So here is a thought. I only found one, but we must have a box of old Music Tape Cases.

31917529878_82eece57c1_z.jpg

Shorten the wires, and cram everything in nice and tidy.
A little bit of drilling for the USB power cord, some Hot gun glue...might do the trick.

Any other ideas. You kind of get the idea on the size of the TANK-MATE Minder.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to give you an IDEA of HOUSEHOLD Junk you can turn into GOLD.

This was my Last Project. I made an Advanced Auto Top UP controller for Fish Tank.

45738970372_e86d95b7bc_c.jpg

The Body Case is from A Clear Packinf for Car light bulbs elements.

The Upright Front Panel is an IPOD packing Clear packing box that IPODs come in.

My wife and I always struggle why I never want to throw anything out. This is why.

Last edited:

IgnatiusRath

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is a thought. I only found one, but we must have a box of old Music Tape Cases.

LOL, I think you're dating some of us here. Although sadly I do have a few of those in a tote somewhere along with a stack of old camcorder tapes.

What about a travel box for soap?

Those little clam shells for soap could work perfect for a project like this I bet. And they're super cheap and durable too. I just wonder how brittle they'd be to cut or drill, but I would have the same concern with cassette cases too.

I would probably 3d print a case for something like this, but I really like the idea of re-purposing household stuff to make one. I've got a few old supplement pill containers that seal well lying around that might work for something like this.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, I think you're dating some of us here. Although sadly I do have a few of those in a tote somewhere along with a stack of old camcorder tapes.

Those little clam shells for soap could work perfect for a project like this I bet. And they're super cheap and durable too. I just wonder how brittle they'd be to cut or drill, but I would have the same concern with cassette cases too.

I would probably 3d print a case for something like this, but I really like the idea of re-purposing household stuff to make one. I've got a few old supplement pill containers that seal well lying around that might work for something like this.
Yup...I'm a bit older (but not over the hill).....So I have been lucky to see tapes. Not 8 Track but these kinds.
I actually have a Vinyl Turntable stored away somewhere. Vinyl for true music buffs is making comeback since people that never heard true analog, and only digital don't really know what music really sounds like. (True harmonics). Ever notice that the best Guitar amps are Ancient TUBES, not Digital.

3D printing sounds cool. No time to learn, but I did take a brief intro course at library. Not sure how one would make a hollow case. Maybe a Stand for this unit.

But this case has to be Clear for the Display to show thru. There will only be one Tiny hole for the usb cable. The rest will just be glued, or hot glue gunned inside.
It all inside then it also become water proof after I seat the USB cord hole.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the Topic of Age....Here is a photo of me during my Tank Upgrade this last Jan 2018.

43980932460_d3f007c5b5_z.jpg

The story behind this, is I had to cut thru that Corner STEEL Stud, to go from 3ft IN WALL office Tank to 4 Foot.
Dangerous shrapnel work to cut thru steel.
Couldn't find my Eye Protective Googles, so this halloween mask did the job.
Son took the photo since he though it was hilarious.
Not funny when you loose an eye.

IgnatiusRath

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There truly is a big difference in sound between analog and digital, especially for music made during on all analog gear. I'm still kicking myself for getting rid of a really nice turntable and speaker system I used to have in high school.

I'm just starting to learn how to 3d print really. My roommate is much better than I am and he's been teaching me, but already have a few things on my tank printed that are handy. I don't think it would be too hard to print a case or stand with a hole for the screen to stick out of. Bit harder to do though if it has to be fully water proof with the screen covered by something clear.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back