DIY Overflow. Need Help!

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I need help. Does anyone know of a way to make an overflow for a tank that is only 3/4 full? I want to make one for my turtle tank but the tank is not full. It is an old oceanic. The tank is thick but I am afraid to drill it because I don't have the money to replace it. Anyone know of a way to accomplish this task?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing to fancy just something like this you can prime the overflow with the open tee on top...
33f9ee2a.jpg

OP
OP
BlazinNano

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I put a U on the part in the tank to keep it from loosing siphon if the water gets to lower in the tank or if the part in the tank went near the bottom and the top of the U on the outside of the tank was high enough would it cause the sump to overflow.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you would have to play with it.... i don't have much experience with them just know a couple of people who used them and said they have had them for years and they work great.... i drill all my tanks there acrylic so no worries there..... i would just make one and try every known possible thing that can go wrong and make sure it don't flood.... one like the picture above is pretty much fool proof but i guess you could make it cleaner looking imho....hth...

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 diy overflows kinda like troylee showed pictures of. Mine has worked great for many years. My rear stand pipe is taller than the highest elbow (the elbow over the tank rim). This prevents the overflow from overflowing. Also, any height you want the drain to start at is up to you. Just getting the original siphon to get going may require effort (but not much). At the highest elbow prior to the drop to the sump, I used flow valves to pull all the air from within and start the siphon. Seal the flow valve and it will always work.

OP
OP
BlazinNano

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 diy overflows kinda like troylee showed pictures of. Mine has worked great for many years. My rear stand pipe is taller than the highest elbow (the elbow over the tank rim). This prevents the overflow from overflowing. Also, any height you want the drain to start at is up to you. Just getting the original siphon to get going may require effort (but not much). At the highest elbow prior to the drop to the sump, I used flow valves to pull all the air from within and start the siphon. Seal the flow valve and it will always work.

So cap the top of the T once you get the siphon going? Got any pics?

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMAG0090.jpg
IMAG0106.jpg
IMAG0104.jpg
IMAG0105.jpg
IMAG0107.jpg

Here is a couple pics, yes not the best ( taken with my evo and I'm not a good pic taker lol). Pictures are in the following order: 3,1,2,4 (uploading pics are not always easy). Hope this helps. Sorry but the naso wanted to be in the pic so I had to add him.

Back