DIY Overflows for my 1600 Gallon system. How to video included

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I finally finished editing the video late last night. I wanted to show everyone how I created the overflows for my 1600 gallon system. I decided I could save some money by building the overflows on my own. The video goes through all the steps needed to build these overflows. I hope you find it valuable. The overflow used 1.5" drains and can handle around 1200 GPH. The cover plate for the overflow also acts as an emergency drain in the event that the entire strainer gets clogged. I added the videos of the overflow test and emergency drain test which proved the concept before I made all of the overflows needed for my build. My camera skills are not the best but I think I managed to capture the process pretty well. If you have any questions or comments please let me know.
20170128_232753.jpg

DIY How to Video

Overflow Bucket Test

Overflow emergency drain cover test

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enjoying all the vids! After using these for a while would you change anything?
Thanks @Muttley000 . So far I have been happy with these overflows. The spacing on the weir does not allow fish or inverts to get down the drain. With the algae issues I have run into with this being a new tank the emergency drains on the top covers have proven useful as the weirs have clogged enough to cause the cover to be used as a drain on a few occasions. I could also see possibly trying to give the overflows a coat of black plastic paint but I am still debating if I want to attempt that as I am always a little paranoid about using paints or coatings on objects that will be near or in my displays.

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like what you did for the over flows. since I have to redo my overflows I think I might do something similar. instead of round go rectangle due to my space

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious to know if that’s enough flow for your 1600g? mainly because I am using a modular marine overflow with 1 1/4 drains for 120g tank.
I am still debating if I want to attempt that as I am always a little paranoid about using paints or coatings on objects that will be near or in my displays.
Acrylic based paints like Fusion by Krylon. Krylon makes few kinds.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious to know if that’s enough flow for your 1600g? mainly because I am using a modular marine overflow with 1 1/4 drains for 120g tank.

Acrylic based paints like Fusion by Krylon. Krylon makes few kinds.
This is an old post. I ran my 1600 gallon system for 3 years and had 6x of these overflows 3x in the720 and 3x in the 480. This was plenty of flow for the return pump and filtration system. I used supplemental flow pumps for primary water flow in each tank. I never did paint these overflows when they were in use and with all the coralline algae that was growing on them paint would have never made a difference in their look.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an old post. I ran my 1600 gallon system for 3 years and had 6x of these overflows 3x in the720 and 3x in the 480. This was plenty of flow for the return pump and filtration system. I used supplemental flow pumps for primary water flow in each tank. I never did paint these overflows when they were in use and with all the coralline algae that was growing on them paint would have never made a difference in their look.
2017! Haa I spaced it on that one. Did you get a different tank?

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2017! Haa I spaced it on that one. Did you get a different tank?

In 2020 my wife and I decided to buy a new home so I tore down the 1600 gallon system. I am upgrading to a 4200 gallon DIY display. Since I moved into my new house in December 2020 I have built out my fish room and have it running with ~2100 gallons. Once I get my display tank built and tested it will be integrated into the fish room system.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/a...-gallon-fish-room-new-house-new-build.785536/

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back