diy ozone reactor idea, opinions welcome

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello again. love this forum. ok I installed ozone several months ago and went with a cheap generator (WEIRPRO ET-200) and installed a DIY port on my skimmer for injection. I also installed a carbon pad on top of the skimmer to reduce ozone gas from getting out. i also run an air dryer in front / upstream of my generator.

132239668_844049299765490_587757770343062502_o.jpg

20210104_095549.jpg

concern 1: lower ORP LEVELS --my orp was around 300-400 in the beginning (an that range always deeps on what's in the water.) over the past month +/- my generator has been running non-stop and the orp is now between 200-270, I have even gone one day without feeding to see if it would climb back to / return to above 300 it has not happened. upside tho the tank looks really Really good. anyway, I have even cleaned my probe a few times. I use a DIGITAL ORP / REDOX CONTROLLER / REGULATOR MILWAUKEE (MC510) to monitor orp. I have also improved my surface agitation with my duel 4k gyres. still no improvement.

concern 2: OZONE GAS ODER, in an effort to raise my orp, one experiment I ran, was to raise the 03 output, not sure how much the gen puts out, it's just a knob to adjust the output. My generator is a WEIRPRO ET-200. doing this increased the odor really bad, i MEAN MAN I could smell it (That clean crisp smell) not good. so the generator is working ( i assume) because the odor means there's more 03 entering and it's not mixing. there was no improvement in the ORP levels after doing this, even with the increased surface movement of the DT water, still no improvement.

after researching this I came across a water purifying process using ozone where the ozone is mixed with the water (thru a venturi) at the top pushing the water down thru media, thereby mixing the O3 with the water (at the to ) an existing the bottom (underwater level) greatly reducing the O3 odor concerns. it seems that most ozone reactors work in this manner.

THE IDEA FOR IMPROVING. oooooh boy. :rolleyes: so here's my plan. I have this bio pellet reactor hanging around.

20210104_094910.jpg

the blue line is my sump water level. so I plan on plumbing in the pump (external) to force water in from the top (red line) installing a venturi port at the top for the ozone to enter (orange line), fill the chamber with plastic bio-balls (purple dots) and the water will exit at the bottom (green line) under the sumps water level,

the odor should be prevented from exiting the top, because of the rubber seal in the top of the reactor.

20210104_095228.jpg

the bio balls, in combination with the v shape bottom, and the offset exit port of the reactor should also greatly reduce the possibility of microbubbles.

20210104_095246.jpg

so that's that the plan for my reactor to improve orp, reduce 03 odor, save the life of my skimmer long term (o3 is hard on plastics).

I do have some orp calibration solution ordered to test my probe, and I also am considering a high-end generator (the Poseidon 200) cause, i don't want to just let it be because the tank looks good, the generator is running nonstop unless I dial it down to say 250. but the ideal range for orp is 350-450 right? I have determined that I like the effects of Ozone on my tank. so your ideas, thought, recommendations are welcome. 20210104_095246.jpg

saltwaterpicaso

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the ozotech 200 and i keep my orp at around 390 anything higher than 400 the tank seems to not be happy. i only run mine for 2 hours and night with no reactor there is no way around the odor thats why i have mine run 4am to 6am while everyone is sleeping. i run mine in the 2 position

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my control or generator has no timer set functions.your timer function is apex driven ?, my control is on or off depending on orp level only

Last edited:

saltwaterpicaso

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use to run mine off my orp probe it used to kick on and off at set values but the living room stunk all the time now i just have it programmed threw my apex for the time values

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The weipro says 200mg/h but likely only puts out half of that or 1/3. So i wouldn't be concerned with cranking it up until you see orp rise.

lelandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the Ozone gas leave through the top of the chamber? If thats the case could you consider adding a airline from the top of the chamber where the ozone exits and run that airline to the outside of the house (if that is an option). The exit ozone air would probably be very wet so somehow you would have to have it where the moisture would fall back in a bit chamber

saltwaterpicaso

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i actually hooked mine back up running at the lowest setting i will say water clarity is way better with the uv over carbon. im going to run it at night when everyone is sleeping at the lowest setting i also noticed there is hardly any smell

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i actually hooked mine back up running at the lowest setting i will say water clarity is way better with the uv over carbon. im going to run it at night when everyone is sleeping at the lowest setting i also noticed there is hardly any smell
Uv can kill organisms that color the water. Just something to think about

saltwaterpicaso

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes thats what i was getting at lol im at work typing and talking to customers at the same time was not focusing. i run uv 24h a day and since i added the ozone back into the system it looks like there is no water in the tank that is at aroung 380 to 390 orp i noticed at 350s you can see a slight haze to the water

charliethetuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello again. love this forum. ok I installed ozone several months ago and went with a cheap generator (WEIRPRO ET-200) and installed a DIY port on my skimmer for injection. I also installed a carbon pad on top of the skimmer to reduce ozone gas from getting out. i also run an air dryer in front / upstream of my generator.

132239668_844049299765490_587757770343062502_o.jpg

20210104_095549.jpg

concern 1: lower ORP LEVELS --my orp was around 300-400 in the beginning (an that range always deeps on what's in the water.) over the past month +/- my generator has been running non-stop and the orp is now between 200-270, I have even gone one day without feeding to see if it would climb back to / return to above 300 it has not happened. upside tho the tank looks really Really good. anyway, I have even cleaned my probe a few times. I use a DIGITAL ORP / REDOX CONTROLLER / REGULATOR MILWAUKEE (MC510) to monitor orp. I have also improved my surface agitation with my duel 4k gyres. still no improvement.

concern 2: OZONE GAS ODER, in an effort to raise my orp, one experiment I ran, was to raise the 03 output, not sure how much the gen puts out, it's just a knob to adjust the output. My generator is a WEIRPRO ET-200. doing this increased the odor really bad, i MEAN MAN I could smell it (That clean crisp smell) not good. so the generator is working ( i assume) because the odor means there's more 03 entering and it's not mixing. there was no improvement in the ORP levels after doing this, even with the increased surface movement of the DT water, still no improvement.

after researching this I came across a water purifying process using ozone where the ozone is mixed with the water (thru a venturi) at the top pushing the water down thru media, thereby mixing the O3 with the water (at the to ) an existing the bottom (underwater level) greatly reducing the O3 odor concerns. it seems that most ozone reactors work in this manner.

THE IDEA FOR IMPROVING. oooooh boy. :rolleyes: so here's my plan. I have this bio pellet reactor hanging around.

20210104_094910.jpg

the blue line is my sump water level. so I plan on plumbing in the pump (external) to force water in from the top (red line) installing a venturi port at the top for the ozone to enter (orange line), fill the chamber with plastic bio-balls (purple dots) and the water will exit at the bottom (green line) under the sumps water level,

the odor should be prevented from exiting the top, because of the rubber seal in the top of the reactor.

20210104_095228.jpg

the bio balls, in combination with the v shape bottom, and the offset exit port of the reactor should also greatly reduce the possibility of microbubbles.

20210104_095246.jpg

so that's that the plan for my reactor to improve orp, reduce 03 odor, save the life of my skimmer long term (o3 is hard on plastics).

I do have some orp calibration solution ordered to test my probe, and I also am considering a high-end generator (the Poseidon 200) cause, i don't want to just let it be because the tank looks good, the generator is running nonstop unless I dial it down to say 250. but the ideal range for orp is 350-450 right? I have determined that I like the effects of Ozone on my tank. so your ideas, thought, recommendations are welcome. 20210104_095246.jpg
how is the reactor you made working out ?I run ozone I. my system also water clarity is amazing ..I run it threw my protein skimmer .I have been contemplating getting a reactor or better yet making one like u did .

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have not made it yet. I upgraded to a Poseidon 200-o3 gen and my levels have risen to 350-380 and the order seems to have gone or is not as strong. so this project has been put on the back burner. i love my water clarity, I run it, with carbon and sometimes i just say dang the water looks good. lol

charliethetuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have not made it yet. I upgraded to a Poseidon 200-o3 gen and my levels have risen to 350-380 and the order seems to have gone or is not as strong. so this project has been put on the back burner. i love my water clarity, I run it, with carbon and sometimes i just say dang the water looks good. lol
how long do u run the ozone for i have mine on 5 minutes ever hr ..I have 575 gallons .I dont have the apex tune it one and off just on a timer

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i run mine based off my orp probe on my apex, the air pump and gen come on off the reading falls below 350 and off if it hits 180.

Jposch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wiepro is trash. They leak at the unit. Ha. They also clog with nitric acid fast if no air dryer is used. The ozone smell is also gross compared to an ozotech. Sourish vs. The sweet, but punch you in the nose smell from the ozotech. So, the smell was likely coming from that cheapo generator, rather than the reactor/skimmer.

Back