DIY plans for Stand - need 6ft x 2ft x 35”H

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks awesome. I started mine today and it is square as square can be. Took my time through everything and glued the joints and then screwed them togethr. Currently I have no back support but may add one yet. I went with 2x6 upper base.

I was going to wrap with plywood and then cut out the cabinet openings but I think I maybe wrap it with trim pieces to accommodate the doors that I will have in the front and both sides, with 2x4’s all around, I am going to use the open areas on the sides for door access. Do you see any issue with this plan?
None at all. If plywood is touching the ground that is support too but I really like and use my side doors quite a bit so I say go for the wrapped trim.

Just check level on your floors it can surprise you.

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None at all. If plywood is touching the ground that is support too but I really like and use my side doors quite a bit so I say go for the wrapped trim.

Just check level on your floors it can surprise you.
Thanks for the advice..so I attached a couple pictures...going to add the trim moldings tomorrow...another question though...the 2x6 braces in the picture on the top ..I was thinking about drilling 1 or 2 1 inch diameter holes in them to run cords or atom,ines or whatever might be needed..it is basically 5 1/2” of wasted space..would that weaken the braces?..other option is I can mount a shelf up the there for an auto or other needs...just wondering your thoughts on the holes

Attachments

• E6758C02-3A35-424C-AB5B-B19A62E932AE.jpeg
    E6758C02-3A35-424C-AB5B-B19A62E932AE.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 4493AB56-86E3-40CF-B880-5D1C62539855.jpeg
    4493AB56-86E3-40CF-B880-5D1C62539855.jpeg
    155.8 KB · Views: 69

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they say a hole shouldn't be greater than 25% of the height and it shouldn't be in the top or bottom 25% so basically a 1.5" hole in the center should be fine if you think you'll use it. Looking good though and with the three 2x4's in each corner you should be in good shape for rigidity.

What style of tank is going on here?

Only reason I mention is because if its rimless you might want to consider an extra support or 2 just for piece of mind.

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they say a hole shouldn't be greater than 25% of the height and it shouldn't be in the top or bottom 25% so basically a 1.5" hole in the center should be fine if you think you'll use it. Looking good though and with the three 2x4's in each corner you should be in good shape for rigidity.

What style of tank is going on here?

Only reason I mention is because if its rimless you might want to consider an extra support or 2 just for piece of mind.
It is going to be a 150 SCA rimless tank. I will be adding a 3/4” plywood top. Just added the trim around the top and bottom and corners. Wanted to wait to add top until I had the trim. I assume with the top plywood I don’t need a back brace or front, correct since I used a 2x6” upper build....or do I?

Attachments

• 19D66F5D-45ED-4104-8BB3-77D87D535174.jpeg
    19D66F5D-45ED-4104-8BB3-77D87D535174.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 50
  • DC9A8BB2-2D2D-4FC0-AA5B-34BC8FC782AF.jpeg
    DC9A8BB2-2D2D-4FC0-AA5B-34BC8FC782AF.jpeg
    152.3 KB · Views: 64

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank (eurobraced though) and love it! I would still do one. It won't be in the way of anything will it? Unless you had something like a granite top it will still bow slightly in the middle which puts additional pressure on the edges. Honestly though where you are at in the process (looking good by the way) I might fill the tank with water on top of leveling mat and see how well the foam compresses (even all around) and make the call after doing that.

Did you borrow the cabinet doors or make them yourself? Wondering what you are going to do in the middle...

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank (eurobraced though) and love it! I would still do one. It won't be in the way of anything will it? Unless you had something like a granite top it will still bow slightly in the middle which puts additional pressure on the edges. Honestly though where you are at in the process (looking good by the way) I might fill the tank with water on top of leveling mat and see how well the foam compresses (even all around) and make the call after doing that.

Did you borrow the cabinet doors or make them yourself? Wondering what you are going to do in the middle...
Hi Nabbernate

I added the middle door today and filled in the nail and screw holes with putty and started sanding . Just waiting on the doors for each end. I was able to buy damaged Lowe’s cabinets and pulled the doors. I think I am going to paint it two tone ..need to still decide that. Tank is on order. I may add 2 back braces yet. Other than that I am close. I do need to waterproof it with some product yet to be chosen.

Attachments

• C41FBAD7-8F87-47D7-B573-D5229D6F8FEF.jpeg
    C41FBAD7-8F87-47D7-B573-D5229D6F8FEF.jpeg
    155.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 4CA27E3E-0C6F-4053-8CF0-A8A14A9B4362.jpeg
    4CA27E3E-0C6F-4053-8CF0-A8A14A9B4362.jpeg
    122.2 KB · Views: 65

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question. I'm not sure how much waterproofing paint provides and it probably depends on what paint you use but it's you need some sort of water proofing. You'll evaporate probably 2 gallons a day of water friendship on your sump. Great idea about the damaged doors. I'm not thrilled with mine since it was my first time making them so I'll probably redo at some point.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inside waterproofing, or the entire thing?

For the inside I used an an enamel paint that makes a nice thick waterporoof coating.

Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy paint. You can buy it in a quart, and it's stark white which makes the interior much easier to see in.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks awesome. I started mine today and it is square as square can be. Took my time through everything and glued the joints and then screwed them togethr. Currently I have no back support but may add one yet. I went with 2x6 upper base.

I was going to wrap with plywood and then cut out the cabinet openings but I think I maybe wrap it with trim pieces to accommodate the doors that I will have in the front and both sides, with 2x4’s all around, I am going to use the open areas on the sides for door access. Do you see any issue with this plan?
Think about racking on the frame. They are tall and top heavy. So long as your stand is triangulated in a way that there will be No racking whatsoever under full load,your plan works.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inside waterproofing, or the entire thing?

For the inside I used an an enamel paint that makes a nice thick waterporoof coating.

Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy paint. You can buy it in a quart, and it's stark white which makes the interior much easier to see in.
Paint does a lot to stop moisture from entering the wood. I would waterproof (paint) as much as you can inside and out.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paint does a lot to stop moisture from entering the wood. I would waterproof (paint) as much as you can inside and out.
Made my stand out of 3/4 and 31/32 plywood. I will paint the entire thing with an enamel paint(rustoleum enamel in satin black, and the appliance epoxy paint for the interior), a couple coats to ensure water proofness. Along with painters caulking all screw/nail heads, and every interior seam.

I did the same on my old melamine stand(appliance epoxy paint on the interior), and it has held up very well over the last 6 years. Only reason I built a new stand, where I didn't paint the melamine, and they used that cheap edge banding, water leaked out the door and destroyed the melamine(bought with tank and I had no idea it was melamine lol).

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made my stand out of 3/4 and 31/32 plywood. I will paint the entire thing with an enamel paint(rustoleum enamel in satin black, and the appliance epoxy paint for the interior), a couple coats to ensure water proofness. Along with painters caulking all screw/nail heads, and every interior seam.

I did the same on my old melamine stand(appliance epoxy paint on the interior), and it has held up very well over the last 6 years. Only reason I built a new stand, where I didn't paint the melamine, and they used that cheap edge banding, water leaked out the door and destroyed the melamine(bought with tank and I had no idea it was melamine lol).
I have a love hate relationship with Melamine. I love how easy it is to clean up, hate working with it and that it is useless once it wicks up water.

mrsgnik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at building a double stacker for 2 x 6 foot tanks.
Each tank is 1.83m long x 360mm wide x 460mm high
need to have a 350mm gap between the top of the bottom tank and the underside of the frame supporting the top tank.

the bottom tank will be sitting so the top is approx. 800mm off the ground (with shelves underneath it).

I can't seem to find any double stacker plans

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at building a double stacker for 2 x 6 foot tanks.
Each tank is 1.83m long x 360mm wide x 460mm high
need to have a 350mm gap between the top of the bottom tank and the underside of the frame supporting the top tank.

the bottom tank will be sitting so the top is approx. 800mm off the ground (with shelves underneath it).

I can't seem to find any double stacker plans

You would be better off starting your own thread vs hijacking someone else’s.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I am looking for where I can find standard plans for a stand made out of 2x4 lumber. I see examples within the posts but am looking for the plans with dimensions. Is there is a specific website or link where prebuilt plans exist? Any help would be appreciated to point be in the right direction.

Also, I after reading the forums, I plan to use the 2x4 and glue and screw them together as needed. Is there a specific quality of 2x4 that I should use in terms of grade?

thanks in advance for any advice..

thanks

I pulled my hair out (it has since grown back) when I was planning my stand for my 6ft tank.

I planned on using dimensional lumber, but had become satisfied that cutting, gluing and clamping several pieces of 3/4 ply to make my pieces would be stronger.

Indecision delayed the build by 2 weeks.

In the end, I used dimensional lumber as I didn't have the room to cut, glue and clamp 3/4 ply.

If I understand correctly from you post, you are something pre-cut that you can assemble yourself?

Back