DIY plywood stand material choice?

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong. And well... I'm wrong, and I apologize.

After reading what you wrote, I was adamant I was right, so I went and grabbed the can to read it. Just an enamel paint designed to put on metal.

Well either way I already have it, and I'm using it. Worked great on my last stand.

Sorry if I sounded like a "you know what", but dang I was sure I was right. lol
no need for sorry ; all good!!,, marketing tricks you into wanting to be right without knowing you how they manipulate words. Im an avid DIY guy, I work with this stuff daily and make cool things using my CNC machine... This forum is awesome, I love the people out here!!!

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would just post an update here.....

Got to work yesterday, and got the rough stand done.

The top is not screwed on in this photo, but I have it done now. Painters caulked all the interior seams, and any screw heads. Will get to painting by next week.

20210506_125825.jpg

Only had one mistep, but I don't think it's a huge deal. The "middle" panel should have been at 32 inches to support the end of the tank. My friend misunderstood me and the inside is 32 inches. So the middle support is an inch over too far. Don't think it will be an issue.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good.
¾” plywood will be plenty strong. You could hold up a car with ¾” ply, assuming it’s built properly. My 120 gallon Marineland ‘factory’ stand was made 1/2” particleboard and never had an issue. The biggest problem with plywood is most of what you find at Home Despot is lower quality and not flat.

Are you planning on some sort of faceframe or cross brace across the top front?

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top and bottom is 31/32", and the sides are all 3/4"(how did you do the 3/4 in small like that?).

No front brace or cross brace. My current stand doesn't have one other then the 2 pieces across the front between the 3 panels. Just a 3 inch x 1 inch piece(pretty sure they are there just to stop it from racking, and as a door stop.(I'll go grab a couple more pics).

The front will be 3 doors.

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see the front "brace" in this pic:
20210509_125821.jpg

And just for clarification, exactly what the front "braces" are:
20210509_125832.jpg

Again the front will just be 3 doors. This is built exactly like my current melamine stand, with the exception of the added space on the one side as an electronics cabinet.

Now if it ever gets above 50 and not raining here, I might get to paint it.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thought I would just post an update here.....

Got to work yesterday, and got the rough stand done.

The top is not screwed on in this photo, but I have it done now. Painters caulked all the interior seams, and any screw heads. Will get to painting by next week.

20210506_125825.jpg

Only had one mistep, but I don't think it's a huge deal. The "middle" panel should have been at 32 inches to support the end of the tank. My friend misunderstood me and the inside is 32 inches. So the middle support is an inch over too far. Don't think it will be an issue.
You can still stain birch and have it come out really nice,, the trick is to use Minwax wood conditioner prior to staining to prevent blotching, giving you a nice even coat on the stain..

Back