Diy pod/phyto culture jars….look-a-likes

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did this option work for you? I assume everyone else can see the links?
Not entirely sure what "dark mode" is...went to setting on my account and saw something in preferences called "style" which had "dark mode". set it to "user default style: Reef2Reef" which changed the forum to a white color vs. a dark grey. Closed then reopened browser...loaded forum...still can't see the links. I see the very last one on the second post only.

OP
OP
Derrick0580

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not entirely sure what "dark mode" is...went to setting on my account and saw something in preferences called "style" which had "dark mode". set it to "user default style: Reef2Reef" which changed the forum to a white color vs. a dark grey. Closed then reopened browser...loaded forum...still can't see the links. I see the very last one on the second post only.
Have you tried using a different browser to view it? Or maybe a computer?

FishPham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Been thinking about picking up the Poseidon jars just cause they look good, but this has influenced me to build my own. Thanks for posting the links for everything! How do your DIY jars compare? About the same results?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been thinking about picking up the Poseidon jars just cause they look good, but this has influenced me to build my own. Thanks for posting the links for everything! How do your DIY jars compare? About the same results?
Was literally thinking about this yesterday and wanted to post a follow up for the jar that I made but couldn’t remember the thread it was in. What I have noticed is that the jars that I have made produce more algae inside than the Poseidon tanks. This is not a good thing because I’m having to clean them way more often. Obviously it’s due to the difference in light being used

FishPham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Was literally thinking about this yesterday and wanted to post a follow up for the jar that I made but couldn’t remember the thread it was in. What I have noticed is that the jars that I have made produce more algae inside than the Poseidon tanks. This is not a good thing because I’m having to clean them way more often. Obviously it’s due to the difference in light being used
Since you're gonna do a follow up post, If you don't mind, can you add to your post with lessons learned and things you would do differently? That would be very helpful. Thanks for the response!

OP
OP
Derrick0580

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see a difference in phyto production. As far as copepods I can’t seem to keep any alive any longer even in the poseiden jars, but I’m starting to think it is because I switched to amazon purchased bag liners. I’m going to restart a culture using no liners and see how it goes. But with pods I have dimmer switches on them.

FishPham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Makes sense. Bags may be leaking something into the water column. Gonna order my stuff tonight and make this a project for next weekend

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see a difference in phyto production. As far as copepods I can’t seem to keep any alive any longer even in the poseiden jars, but I’m starting to think it is because I switched to amazon purchased bag liners. I’m going to restart a culture using no liners and see how it goes. But with pods I have dimmer switches on them.
I very much doubt it’s going to be an Amazon fish bag because don’t you think that if they’re being sold to put fish in the fish would also have a problem during shipment

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yes I’m not having any issues with the Fido cultures due to I’m sure the fact they are at full intensity for brightness but as far as the pod cultures even at 20% intensity the algae is going crazy only after a few days. I believe it has something to do with the spectrum

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you're gonna do a follow up post, If you don't mind, can you add to your post with lessons learned and things you would do differently? That would be very helpful. Thanks for the response!
If I was you I would add 3M tape double sided to the list to run along the edge of the rubber before you put it on the jar along the top in the bottom so it acts as a seal for any water that may drip down the side of the jar and work its way to the LEDs

OP
OP
Derrick0580

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yes I’m not having any issues with the Fido cultures due to I’m sure the fact they are at full intensity for brightness but as far as the pod cultures even at 20% intensity the algae is going crazy only after a few days. I believe it has something to do with the spectrum
Could always try and find the flexible strips of blue that are used in the led fixtures. Not exactly sure if it would make any difference. I see a lot of how to posts saying just use ambient lighting from the room as well

FishPham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I very much doubt it’s going to be an Amazon fish bag because don’t you think that if they’re being sold to put fish in the fish would also have a problem during shipment
Yeah, but those bags are in a box and insulated and not getting direct heat/lighting. Just didn't want to rule anything out.

@Derrick0580 do you see and distortion in the bags when removing them?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could always try and find the flexible strips of blue that are used in the led fixtures. Not exactly sure if it would make any difference. I see a lot of how to posts saying just use ambient lighting from the room as well
As far as the pods with Ambient lighting yes that may work I have actually turned my Demer all the way down as low as it will go which is barely on and I’m gonna reevaluate and see how this goes. With that being said I do know that pods do not need light

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, but those bags are in a box and insulated and not getting direct heat/lighting. Just didn't want to rule anything out.

@Derrick0580 do you see and distortion in the bags when removing them?
Wow now thinking about this I also bought Amazon bags that I used a few times and my cultures crashed so I put them to the side not even thinking about it and continue to use my original Poseidon reef bags till I run out Still have a few left have not gone back to the Amazon bags but OMG this could be a thing

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow now thinking about this I also bought Amazon bags that I used a few times and my cultures crashed so I put them to the side not even thinking about it and continue to use my original Poseidon reef bags till I run out Still have a few left have not gone back to the Amazon bags but OMG this could be a thing
I've been using these with no problems

Danikay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided I needed more vessels for expanding my pod and phyto cultures. I had already purchased the posieden reef system so I wanted everything to match as closely as possible so I set out to build look-a-like vessels. To buy extra tanks from them it is $85.95 and I was able to put mine together for $49.15 a piece. I could have saved a little money on lights as they only use two wraps around their jars and I have 6. This will bump my jar count to 6 total. My plan is for 2 phytoplankton and 4 copepod cultures. Gonna get the water made up tomorrow and hopefully have all 6 going by sunday!

07E10395-8D5C-4064-97BD-49B75595482A.jpeg C77990C4-8FF6-48E1-BDA4-619F5D52FD64.jpeg 89128216-AEF5-4743-82AD-2419D9E1169E.jpeg
who needs jars, when you have a 90 gallon display tank of it

Attachments

• A0764A9A-FB3D-40B7-A498-40C780008EE9.jpeg
    A0764A9A-FB3D-40B7-A498-40C780008EE9.jpeg
    63.7 KB · Views: 29

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back