DIY Pods trap

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to make a trap that just traps pods, so I can catch them in the refugium and transfer them in the main tan. Any ideas ?

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really a DIY thing but I make a pile of rock rubble and you can move a piece at a time. They really collect on rock work when theres nothing eating them.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following along!

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to put plastic scrub pads like the ones for scrubbing dishes (unscented of course) in the sump and shake them out into a tank I wanted to seed. I'm not sure how many pods came out at a time but there was always a bunch in there. It worked well enough to seed a tank I was setting up but I don't know if it will work for what you're trying to do. It was basically like fake Chaeto.

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a med rock covered with macro algae (hairy/furry looking) that the copes love to hang out on. when i take it out and shake in a small white bucket with water they're falling out!

OP
OP
Young Frankenstein

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This great information, thanks for the many replies, keep em coming.
I am leaning toward Tank2379 a filter insert inside a plastic clear container with some 1/4" holes on top. Any suggestions ?

uall8up

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the filter. I just had some pods delivered to me and they sent a filter pad in the bag with them. I then put 1 covered in pods into my seahorse tank.

OP
OP
Young Frankenstein

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.........ok here we go LETS GO FISHING................. a glass container from coffee 1 cube of fish food and some phyto plankton.
DSCN3689.jpg
DSCN3691.jpg
DSCN3688.jpg

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning a mandarin are we :) I simply shake my chaeto to release the pods, a small filter sponge in your fuge would do. I would not bait any kind of pod trap, or you will be making a bristle worm trap more than anything, lol. I would like to see what happens though.

OP
OP
Young Frankenstein

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 separate refugiums 1 for chaeto and 1 (coral scraper) algae scruber. In the chaeto is a pain to get them ...........i just like the trap thingie lol.

VB68

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I found earlier--- I have a Mandarin Dragonet and I was building some pod piles of live-rock rubble when I was thinking. It would be nice if these piles were easier to move (for cleaning maintenance, etc). Then I decided to make mobile Pod Condos - You can move them around your tank, easily and still provide a sanctuary for pod population to reproduce within. It also allows you to make a couple and rotate them between your display tank, and another pod-rich environment such as a refugium to increase the number of little pod tenants.

They are very simple and cheap to make:

Materials

• Gutter Guard - Sold at Menards/Lowes/HD in about 20' rolls for a few bucks
  • 10 or so zip-ties (smaller are better IMO)
  • Some live rock rubble
IMG_2370.JPG

Step 1 - Make the body
Cut about 1 foot of gutter guard and roll it into a cylinder. You could actually make them any size you like but this size worked well in my tank - adjust as you like. Overlap about 3 squares on the end. Use zip ties and secure the overlapped layers every couple squares using the middle row of full squares for best strength.
IMG_2372.JPG

Step 2 - Put on the bottom
Next cut a smaller piece of gutter guard that is large enough to cover the end of the tube with a couple squares of over hang. Position the bottom on the body so that you get good matching of the full squares of the body edge with the top. It's hard to see in the pics, but you want to zip tie anchor using full, uncut squares. Again, zip tie every couple squares
IMG_2374-0.JPG
IMG_2374-2.JPG

Step 3 - Trim the bottom
Trim the bottom to fit the tube body with a scissors - being careful not to cut the anchor squares so that it compromises the bottom's structural integrity. Here it is pre and post trimmed:
IMG_2374-5.JPG
IMG_2377.JPG

Step 4 - Fill'er Up with rubble
Now you're ready to fill it up with LR rubble, etc. This is the habitat for your pods, so I tried to fill mine up nice and dense so they have more space to run around, hide, lay eggs, etc. You may have to do some puzzle work to maximize the fill, but do it to your liking. Don't fill it completely to the top only go about 80% full - leaving about 1 1/2 inch or so unfilled. This will allow you to pinch the two sides together an close the top to keep the rubble from falling out.
IMG_2379.JPG

Step 5 - Close the top
Now pinch the top together and use a couple zip ties to close it. I found it best to put the body seam perpendicular to the top pinch line so it looks nice and isn't as hard on the side seam.
IMG_2380.JPG
IMG_2382.JPG

That's all there is. As I said, now you have mobile Pod breeding grounds. You could also loan them out to others to plop in their sump/fuge for a couple weeks to cross-populate your tank with pod species from their system, etc.

Pumbooris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would this last idea work by just having something similar in a sumpless tank? maybe behind some rocks out of the way??

Grimey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread.

I like VB68's Idea. Is there a reason not to make the top like you did the bottom?

ether way I think I am going to run home and make myself a rock basket. :)

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 72 42.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Back