diy rimless 50 breeder lagoon. (kiss build)

oceans garden aquaculture

Oceans garden aquaculture
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
250w halide/T5 vs 165w black box. One of these is going up today. I've been on the fence for some days and need the community to help me decide. Plan is mixed shallow reef and mangroves. Thanks for looking!
20200722_100910.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Black Box!!!!

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re going mangroves, I would lean towards the t5/ halide combo, but I also do not like changing bulbs or managing heat.

Im looking forward to seeing more of the build!
I was thinking the same about the mangroves. Then again, I've got a 20k hqi bulb and the BB actually may actually hit the 4k spectrum with the red leds. That's definitely something I was considering.

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the same about the mangroves. Then again, I've got a 20k hqi bulb and the BB actually may actually hit the 4k spectrum with the red leds. That's definitely something I was considering.

I think that thatblack boxes can hit that spectrum, but I question with how much intensity. The other thing that makes me think the T5/ halide is that you will get more IR as well as other specific wavelengths that the LEDs tend to miss.

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shout out to saltwaterfish for sending me this awesome ecorock to use in a couple of these builds. So far I'm happy with it. Lots of surface area per lb. Looks great and shapes are very nice to scape with.

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty happy with the scaping. About 100 holes drilled. Ecorock looks like swiss cheese! Also added the other bb because (awesome) lol

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. The tank is running great. I ditched the 10 gallon internal filter and replaced with a coralife skimmer filter. I'm pretty impressed with the thing. Skims super well, especially for a $40 piece of kit. Here's a video of it in action.

Back