Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rotifer Culture

C. Jay Hemdal

Brackish water rotifers, (Brachionus plicatilis) are a useful food source for certain invertebrate aquarium animals, have been used as bio-assay animals, and are a virtual necessity when raising larval clownfish (Amphiprion sp.). Many culture methods have been presented, some work well but are either costly to implement, or extremely labor intensive. Other less cumbersome methods may prove unreliable, with culture contamination being a common reason for failure.
After testing various techniques for culturing Brachionus sp. rotifers, this technique was developed to the point where catastrophic culture crashes are virtually non-existent, yet rotifer production is still high enough to raise larval clownfish and supply to filter feeding invertebrates.

Materials:
Micro algae disks (Chlorella, Nannochloropsis, etc.)
Resting rotifer cysts (small size for raising clownfish or dottybacks)
Plankton collector (plankton sieve)
Artificial rotifer food
Modified Guillard's F2 algae nutrient formula
2-liter clear soda bottles with caps (12 - 20)
Air supply and airline tubing
Fluorescent lights
Incandescent lights
Hanging tags to label bottles
Rotifer log sheet

Preparation:
1) Make 10 to 15 hanging tags for around the neck of the soda bottles. Use nylon cord and 2" x 2" white plastic and write a unique code on each one (i.e. the letters of the alphabet, A through Z and then AA to ZZ if more are needed).

2) Select the culture site; install lighting so that it is about 18" above the top of the soda bottles. Two 48" Fluorescent lights and two 100-watt incandescent spotlights are sufficient for a culture area of about 2' by 4'. A photoperiod of 16 hours per day is best.

3) Install an air supply so that there are at least 20 separately controlled airlines, which end in 15" of 3/16" rigid aquarium tubing.

4) Prepare 10 - 15 soda bottles: remove labels, drill 1/4" hole in the caps and install the airlines through the cap holes. An alternative method is to forgo using caps, and plug the necks of the bottles with polyester batting. Either way, the intent is to keep protozoan contaminants from entering the cultures. The soda bottles should either be new, or if previously used for rotifer culture, have been sterilized with a 1:10 bleach and water solution and rinsed very well.

5) Fill 4 bottles with synthetic seawater at a specific gravity of 1.014 (use tap water, not aquarium water to mix the water used to start the bottles with, as it is effectively sterile).

6) Add algae nutrient to the 4 bottles as called for in the instructions. Then, add some water to the surface of one micro algae disk, rub your finger across the agar to suspend the algae cells. Add 1/2 of the resulting green water and 1/4 to each of two other bottles. Log each bottle number with the algae start date.

7) Wait two days and repeat step 6. Within another 3 to 6 days, you will see the original bottles start to turn darker green as the algae culture starts to grow. At this point, if you are interested in only culturing micro algae, just continue in this fashion. If you wish to grow rotifers using this algae as food, then add one vial of resting rotifers to the darkest bottle, and 1/2 a vial to each of the next two darkest bottles. Log each bottle as to the date and amount of resting rotifers added. Adjust the airflow to each bottle as needed - pure algae cultures do well with a high airflow, while maturing rotifer cultures seem to do better if the air supply is turned down a bit.

8) Wait at least two days, and sub-culture two new algae bottles using 100 ml from the second set of bottles from step 7 (the ones that have NOT had rotifers added yet). Watch the bottles to which resting rotifers have been added for signs of clearing. This means that the rotifers are actively reproducing, and eating the algae culture. When a bottle becomes almost clear, either harvest the rotifers by filtering them, or feed them artificial rotifer food until you need the bottle (this keeps them from starving). When a bottle is harvested, either sterilize it, or use a new bottle and set it up as in the first part of step 8, using pure algae culture (no rotifers). Airlines and caps that have been in contact with culture water that has held rotifers must be sterilized prior to re-use as components of the algae-only cultures.

9) Once you have some bottles with newly added algae sub-cultures, some with older algae cultures, and some with active rotifers, you can begin sub-culturing algae cultures with cultures that have living rotifers in them (thus avoiding the need for any additional resting rotifers).

Hints:

Always have at least two bottles at the same stage of the culture process. That way, if a culture becomes contaminated, you can rely on the other bottle to keep things moving along. Knowing what bottles were sub-cultured from what bottle is important in tracking, and isolating any sort of protozoan or bacterial contamination. Use the log sheet to watch for this - a "bad" bottle is scratched from the records.

If you wish to harvest the micro algae for use in feeding filter feeders, you need to separate the algae cells from the culture water. Various techniques have been used to do this from centrifuging the culture to filtering it. The various algae species require different methods depending on their cell size. Micron filtration may be required for small algae such as Chlorella. For Nannochloropsis and larger species, it may be possible to extract a good portion of the culture using doubled up paper coffee filters.

Keep bottles with rotifers in them physically isolated from the pure algae cultures - airborne contamination may occur.

Learning how to "juggle" the bottles takes time, if you aren't careful, the bottles get out of "sync", and you might end up with all algae bottles, or no bottles that don't already have rotifers added to them, making them useless for sub-culturing new algae bottles.

Always work with the pure algae cultures first and then the cultures inoculated with rotifers. This avoids the chance of "back contamination" of the algae cultures with viable rotifers.

It helps to have a few bottles set up with water and nutrients a day or so before inoculating them with the algae - something about letting them aerate tends to "age" them and make it a more hospitable environment for the algae cells.

As each bottle is moved through the process, it is physically moved from left to right across the culture table. In some cases, a bottle may not "mature" at the proper rate, and it is "held back" until it shows the proper response for it to go on to the next stage. Any bottle that shows unusual response, i.e., early clearing after live rotifers are added, failure to produce a dense algae culture, etc., are scrapped and taken out of the loop, and a back-up bottle is brought into play.

With a bit of experience, one can predict the need for rotifers at the facility while avoiding the odd bottle that "fails to perform". If a higher level of rotifers is predicted, one can, with about a week's time, meet this need by doubling or trebling the number of bottles established at an earlier stage.

Supplies: http://floridaaquafarms.com/shop/

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Awesome information. How long do brackish rotifers stay alive when adding to a reef tank.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Jay Hemdal
If I saw an article like this back when I was trying to culture phyto and pods, it would've really shortened the learning curve and saved me a lot of time and money.

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome information. How long do brackish rotifers stay alive when adding to a reef tank.
IDK - they do close up when exposed to an environmental change, but they are still alive.
Jay

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Willing to share any pictures of your set up?

Sorry - that was from the pre-2000 (grin). I looked through my old digital images and found nothing. that means, if I have it, it is on 35 mm slides. This drawing is all I've got:

rotifer.jpg

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jay,

I have a pair of clownfish that spawn about every 12 days. I've transferred the eggs to a dedicated tank and successfully hatched them twice in the past 6 weeks. The first batch died after 1 day. The second batch died after 2 days.

I think my problem is food. I have a bottle of rotifers from ReefNutrition.com that I keep refrigerated and use to feed the newly hatched larva. I'm not sure if that approach is working although under the microscope they seem to be alive.

I assume your write-up is for an ongoing breeding program, but perhaps I should try it?

If I only intend to use it for one brood, will I really need 10 or 15 bottles?

Any other suggestions for a novice?

Thanks,
David

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jay,

I have a pair of clownfish that spawn about every 12 days. I've transferred the eggs to a dedicated tank and successfully hatched them twice in the past 6 weeks. The first batch died after 1 day. The second batch died after 2 days.

I think my problem is food. I have a bottle of rotifers from ReefNutrition.com that I keep refrigerated and use to feed the newly hatched larva. I'm not sure if that approach is working although under the microscope they seem to be alive.

I assume your write-up is for an ongoing breeding program, but perhaps I should try it?

If I only intend to use it for one brood, will I really need 10 or 15 bottles?

Any other suggestions for a novice?

Thanks,
David

Hi David,

I'll say right up front that I haven't raised clownfish for 15+ years, and then, I mostly managed the people who did raise them (grin). I think you might be best served by posting a new thread in the fish breeding forum here. that said, here are my thoughts:

When larval clown die in the first 24 hours or so, it is usually due to poor quality eggs (due to poor parental nutrition) OR due to damage to the eggs from trying to artificially hatching them. I used to use air bubbles to keep the eggs agitated, and I found if I didn't get it just right, the eggs would have a poor hatch. Food issues usually start to show up at day 3 (improper food) and then again, around 10 to 12 days (post flexion, when the conversion to baby brine takes place).

The number of bottles we used seemed to work best for one or two breeder pairs. There is some redundancy built in, to try and account for any bottles that crashed. At the minimum, I think you would need six bottles, and hope that there were no crashes.

Jay

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi David,

I'll say right up front that I haven't raised clownfish for 15+ years, and then, I mostly managed the people who did raise them (grin). I think you might be best served by posting a new thread in the fish breeding forum here. that said, here are my thoughts:

When larval clown die in the first 24 hours or so, it is usually due to poor quality eggs (due to poor parental nutrition) OR due to damage to the eggs from trying to artificially hatching them. I used to use air bubbles to keep the eggs agitated, and I found if I didn't get it just right, the eggs would have a poor hatch. Food issues usually start to show up at day 3 (improper food) and then again, around 10 to 12 days (post flexion, when the conversion to baby brine takes place).

The number of bottles we used seemed to work best for one or two breeder pairs. There is some redundancy built in, to try and account for any bottles that crashed. At the minimum, I think you would need six bottles, and hope that there were no crashes.

Jay
Thanks Jay.

The pair lay eggs inside a small clay pot. After about 6 days, I trade the pot with another and place the pot with the eggs in a 20 gallon tank. Then I use air bubbles for the last couple of days until hatch to keep the eggs aggitated. So that could be my problem. I had what looks to be a high percentage hatch. But they only lived 48 hours. I will start a new thread and see what advice pops up.

Thanks again.

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay.

The pair lay eggs inside a small clay pot. After about 6 days, I trade the pot with another and place the pot with the eggs in a 20 gallon tank. Then I use air bubbles for the last couple of days until hatch to keep the eggs aggitated. So that could be my problem. I had what looks to be a high percentage hatch. But they only lived 48 hours. I will start a new thread and see what advice pops up.

Thanks again.

One more thing - I would often leave the eggs to hatch with the parents, and then carefully dip out the larva at night with a tiny penlight to see them. This gave better results, but was very time consuming. Also, if the light is too bright, the eggs stop hatching. I've found that if that happens, the remaining eggs will not hatch properly the next night.

Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 43.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back