DIY Screen Lid (what type of screen is used?)

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made mine with a screen kit from Lowe’s and bought a mesh from Michaels (looks kinda like a vail that a mourning lady puts over her face) to screen in the void. image.jpg

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To allow for power head cables without a ridiculous number of corner pieces and way too much trouble fitting the screen, I went the simple route.

Make your tops in 2 sections. The back section is 4" x the width of your tank. That is the minimum needed to use standard window screen corners. The front section will be whatever size it needs to be to cover the remainder of the top. For my standard 120, that means I actually have 4 pieces of screen top - 2ea at 4" x 22 3/4" and 2ea at 22 3/4 x 17.

You can then just cut small slits in the back sections of screen to allow passage of cords. The slits will close up around the cords effectively blocking escape for all but the most determined fish.

The back sections remain in place, the front sections are easily removable for feeding/maintenance/etc

60Htf6tl.jpg

r1twzKEl.jpg

HTH
Now that is brilliant!! Thanks so much! I think the list I made for this project has changed ten times since I first started it. Haha. I can see how using corner parts will work if you don't have a ton of cables and they're all on the same side of the tank but your method is flexible and it doesn't matter the number of cables or where they are for it to work.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made mine with a screen kit from Lowe’s and bought a mesh from Michaels (looks kinda like a vail that a mourning lady puts over her face) to screen in the void. image.jpg
Thanks! That must be the Tulle fabric which I might have to buy if I can't find any of the clear mesh. Have you had to clean it yet? I was wondering if that fabric was difficult to clean if you get salt water on it.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! That must be the Tulle fabric which I might have to buy if I can't find any of the clear mesh. Have you had to clean it yet? I was wondering if that fabric was difficult to clean if you get salt water on it.
The mesh looks like a plastic material. It’s super easy to clean. If I let it go for too long I take it to the sink and just spray it down but I can usually take a damp micro fiber and wipe it down. It was super cheap and I got a lot left over ( had to buy a square yard of it) it’s got one little hole in the corner but I’m sure it’s from one of my niece or nephews tryna stick their little weenie hooks into the tank. It’s really durable minus the finger pokes.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mesh looks like a plastic material. It’s super easy to clean. If I let it go for too long I take it to the sink and just spray it down but I can usually take a damp micro fiber and wipe it down. It was super cheap and I got a lot left over ( had to buy a square yard of it) it’s got one little hole in the corner but I’m sure it’s from one of my niece or nephews tryna stick their little weenie hooks into the tank. It’s really durable minus the finger pokes.
Nice!! That might be a suitable option afterall which is great because finding some of the stuff here in Canada is proving a little difficult.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS definitely ships to Canada
For dealing with cables decide where you want to run them, then use corner pieces to create cutouts

There's lots of threads/images out there if you do some searching.
Here's one example I found ...

This is a great excuse men to go buy a loofah DO NOT cut up the one your other uses ever.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 30 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.6%
Back