OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY skimmers work just as good if not better than store bought skimmers. Iagree that DIY skimmers can also save you some major $$$. I saved several thousand dollars by going with a DIY skimmer. Mine has been running great for a few months now after some tweaks and modifications it is delivering some great performance. The best part about DIY skimmers is that there are so many proven designs out there that its not hard to find something that will work for your system. I am looking forward to seeking your skimmer up and running @joekool. Here are a couple of pictures of my DIY skimmer.

20180116_125249.jpg

20180115_130545.jpg
Nice looking skimmer.
Mine is actually been Running for 6 years solid minus taken it apart to clean in a few times throughout the years I just recently took mine apart to modify it to improve it

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have been testing out different venturi configurations and I have one more to do today.
20180119_164547.jpg

There are many factors to consider when using a venturi to power your skimmer. Height, width, net water to skim, flow rate to achive optimal skim.

In my case my skimmer is 5.5 feet tall. The diy venturi works best when it is above the water level in the skimmer. This being the case I wanted to test out multiple configurations pushing water down that far.
The non DIY venturi's (store bought) seem to do fine when below water level but the style i build works best above.

I setup a 90 gallon tank as a test tank and made a video. Not the best or fanciest video I have made and I hope you don't get sick from me moving the phone around. Guess I should use a video camera on a tripod. But I think you'll get the idea. I have one more configuration to do and will make a video of that.

Also while searching the web I came across a few different ideas I want to test out for fun.

I will get to the building of a skimmer next, which I suppose should have cam before the venturi but you need to figure out both so hopefully you'll get an idea about what you want.

You can subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don' don't miss any of my videos when posted. JoeKooL Reefvid

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the DIY's coming.Protein Skimmers are so overpriced it's ridiculous. It's plastic and a hobby water pump. Manufacturers justify the cost by saying,But it's good plastic.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's glass.16.7 x 8in.The galvanized steel is siliconed on.I was thinking remove bottom and use plastic base for holes for plumbing/ gate valve,pump and return.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent hours testing and have some interesting conclusions. Question is do you want all the videos or a rapped up conclusion which I can sum it all up quickly.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have to use needle wheel. I'm out working so I get back to you later today.

How wide was your floor space?

The space I have to work with is 11 1/4"x16 1/2" and 25" high but I have to be able to get the collection cup off. As you can see I have most of my stand space filled. The space on the end is for the skimmer.

IMG_4044.JPG

IMG_4045.JPG

Last edited:

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer I'm thinking of buying is 11"x15" and 23" high. It can handle a heavy bio load of 190gal.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok your wish is my command. I'm starting out from the beginning. so here we start with two parts Jet style venturi and then injector style venturi.
I will do a conclusion a video as a final part after all the testing videos are compiled into one. Enjoy and don't forget to subscribe to my youtube channel. be the first to watch them before I post to R2R.

part two

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody today I'm working on a video on making the skimmer body. There are so many possibilities and the skimmer does not have to be made out of PVC.
So stay tuned and I'll have it for you shortly

Back