DIY stand - is there such a thing as too many shims?

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

As above really, is it an issue if I have had to fill in some small (1-2mm) gaps on most of the the legs with plastic shims? Every time I've built a stand I've had these small gaps from imperfections in the cut, I've usually just left them for smaller tanks but this stand will hold a 112G, a bit heavier than my other efforts so I decided to shim them instead.

shim 1.jpg shim2.jpg stand.jpg

Many thanks
Nick

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Well i hate to say this but all that wood will settle when u put water in the tank on top.
Im nobwood worker though and hopefully someone will chime in here.
What are you using to make ur cuts and measure? I am a machinist by trade so we tend to be a little more picky. Lol.
-d

OP
OP
C

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Well i hate to say this but all that wood will settle when u put water in the tank on top.
Im nobwood worker though and hopefully someone will chime in here.
What are you using to make ur cuts and measure? I am a machinist by trade so we tend to be a little more picky. Lol.
-d
I get the wood cut to length at the lumber mill as I'm pretty lacking in tools apart from hand saws, generally the cuts are pretty close but there might be a slight angle generally just a mm here of there. Definitely don't want this coming back to haunt me though so if needs fixing I'll definitely try!

lelandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smart to use plastic. I wonder if there is some type of filler compound you could use to fill the gaps like epoxy? Lets see if any woodworkers have ideas

missourimud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are "wrapping" the stand with plywood it will not matter. I would try to make sure the entire surface is shimmed, also it would be prudent to use one shim wherever possible.
If it were me, i would trim all legs to the lowest one though:) just f.y.i. you can make that entire stand with a hand saw.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or u can go to the pawn shop and haggle 5-$10 off a crack heads jacked saw. Hit up the hardware store on the way back for a new blade. Prob be under $50.
Mine was a ryobi. It does miters and everything. Lol. 45s. Its just a chop saw. No slide.
Hths. Hack saw.would suck. Lol!
D

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll be just fine. Appears you still have direct contact for load transfer right down to the floor. In addition, that center brace/leg can be eliminated, and still easily support 112 gallons. I would suggest topping the stand with about 3/4" plywood to "smooth out" the imperfections in the dimensional lumber so that the base of the tank sits flush.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll be just fine. Appears you still have direct contact for load transfer right down to the floor. In addition, that center brace/leg can be eliminated, and still easily support 112 gallons. I would suggest topping the stand with about 3/4" plywood to "smooth out" the imperfections in the dimensional lumber so that the base of the tank sits flush.
^^^Exactly this^^^

Those center braces will be in your way for sump access, and are just not needed considering your top frame. I have built quite a number of stands for tanks in the 80-150 range, both 4' and 6' long. I have always used 2x4's, and for larger tanks just double up the top frame. AFAIK, they are all still in service, and some are well over 25 years old.

The shims where you have them won't hurt a thing, but I doubt if they'll do much either.

OP
OP
C

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Awesome, thanks I have some 3/4" ply good to go :)

^^^Exactly this^^^

Those center braces will be in your way for sump access, and are just not needed considering your top frame. I have built quite a number of stands for tanks in the 80-150 range, both 4' and 6' long. I have always used 2x4's, and for larger tanks just double up the top frame. AFAIK, they are all still in service, and some are well over 25 years old.

The shims where you have them won't hurt a thing, but I doubt if they'll do much either.

That's good to know re the centre brace, it will certainly get in the way so looks like I have a few modifications to make!

Thanks for the help

Nick

Back