DIY Sump - To baffle or not to baffle...

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have a 33 long configured as a sump. There are 3 compartments; mechanical filtration, refugium and return chamber.

I'm reconfiguring the sump so that water the layout is optimized for use on a 125 gallon which I am configuring as a peninsula tank.

I'm wondering; is it necessary to even use baffles? Can't I just leave the tank wide open?

I was thinking I would use egg crate to section off an area as a refugium to keep macro algae contained and the rest would be wide open.

Thoughts?

AquaBen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 15 gal DIY sump for my 65 gal DT and asked the same question. I went with no baffles. The sump has a rollermat (I hated filter bags) and the rest is all Refugium with Cheato. The bottom of the sump is covered with tube shaped media. It has a thriving pod population and a few hermit crabs and snails. It has an Inkbird controlled heater and LED lights on a timer (which came with the tank). The 15 gal tank stays about 1/3 full of water. To keep the cheato from clogging the return pump ( which was a problem at first) I placed the return pump in a mesh basket (I think it was originally supposed to be a fry or egg catching basket for a FW tank). It has completely prevented clogging of the pump. I am happy with the set up. The money I saved on doing the DIY sump more than paid for the rollermat, inkbird, and other equipment.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Traditionally baffles served the purpose of forcing water through mechanical filtration and otherwise directing flow, having stable water level compartment for skimmer, and being able to separate refugium(don't want cheato mnext to skimmer pump for example). If none of those factors are relevant to you then probably not needed.

If you use ato you will need to make sure you have an area without turbulent water for the ato sensor to work optimally

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I have done it both ways and my last sump HAD NO Baffles and after two years still NO return bubbles to main tank. I personally forgo baffles now and use the space for extra media reactors. I am sure some will have a fit but 40 years experience with marine fresh and reef tanks have shown me what works and does NOT. Good luck

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back