Do ACRO lovers still HATE us? Poor little Zoanthiniaria.....

How much do you like zoanthids?

• LOVE them

Votes: 449 44.3%
  • Like them

Votes: 276 27.2%
  • They're "ok"

Votes: 196 19.3%
  • Don't like them

Votes: 51 5.0%
  • Hate them

Votes: 28 2.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 14 1.4%

• Total voters

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A long while ago I got this fantastic Art Poster of a 100 Zoa's and Palys

https://bigshowfrags.com/100-zoas-palys-poster/

That Post became my wish list.

It was my goal to get as many I could. I kept hunting and buying and adding Various Zoa's to my tank.

Some would fade away almost instanltly, other took off and then slowly vanished.
After many attempts I had no luck keeping any happy.... so I gave up.

My favorites were the Blue Hornets and Rasta Zonathids.

The Pinwheel Zoa Patch I had was also nice.

2019-02-14_PinWHeelZoa.jpg

The biggest mistake I made decades ago was getting One Green Paly.

2019-12-02-GreenPalyComeback.jpg

They do look nice......
But....I can't get rid of them and they are slowly taking over every spare space in the tank (even the Glass bottom)

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer sps but see the beauty in zoas. My favorites are utter chaos and rastas. I seem to struggle to make them happy even though I have them in lower lit areas of my tank. (I run pretty high lighting for my sps).

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A long while ago I got this fantastic Art Poster of a 100 Zoa's and Palys

https://bigshowfrags.com/100-zoas-palys-poster/

That Post became my wish list.

It was my goal to get as many I could. I kept hunting and buying and adding Various Zoa's to my tank.

Some would fade away almost instanltly, other took off and then slowly vanished.
After many attempts I had no luck keeping any happy.... so I gave up.

My favorites were the Blue Hornets and Rasta Zonathids.

The Pinwheel Zoa Patch I had was also nice.

2019-02-14_PinWHeelZoa.jpg

The biggest mistake I made decades ago was getting One Green Paly.

2019-12-02-GreenPalyComeback.jpg

They do look nice......
But....I can't get rid of them and they are slowly taking over every spare space in the tank (even the Glass bottom)
I love the green palys! Gorgeous!

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like zoas but they don’t reproduce fast in my tank. Probably like higher nutrients than I have. Only have a couple varieties, here’s my favorite- LFS didn’t know the name when I bought it.

Edit- oh yeah and if we’re counting palys... I do have a fair few of those...
I have no contingency plan I’m just letting them slowly ruin my life.

ECD56C33-B2B3-4050-AE43-523FFA1B7FB2.jpeg image.jpg

Last edited:

Revnobody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my first year of reefing I was terrified of zoanthids. Stories of palytoxin made them a hard no for my tank. And that might not have been a bad thing. I fought my first tank regularly, having to pull rocks several times to scrub bryopsis and other invasive things. Kenya trees and xenia were really a better idea.

Nearly two years in and with a new tank I've learned a lot and had a change of heart! I now have four different zoas in my tank. I love the pop of color, the relative hardiness, and the way they grow. They've turned into one of the most eye catching features in my tank.

Right now I have JF Mango Coolers, King Midas, Purple Hearted Emeralds, and WWC Superstars. My favorite by a landslide are the JF Mango Coolers. I can see those things from across the room under blues but they look beautiful in all kinds of light. Not just my favorite zoa but possibly one of my favorite corals in my tank.

Wish the picture really did the color justice.

zoa.jpg
Mango Coolers are one of my favorites as well. Photos just don't do them justice, they are truly blaze orange!

BuBBlyFish&Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prices of Zoanthids have gotten out of control. They grow fast and easy yet the prices seem to keep going up and the new names for a previously named zoanthid, in order to fetch more money, has gotten even worse. Zoanthids are fast and easy to grow so until people stop buying into the hype prices and names will continue to grow and go up.

cassilyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had any zoas, but I'd love to have some in my seahorse tank. I think the color and variety are beautiful! They are on my list to add when I have the time and $$.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love em camaro, you have the sickest stuff. Just getting into some higher end zoas, have speckled kraks on the way to test the waters before i buy the predators though, but man yours look gorgeous
Can’t forget the newest and hottest high end zoa. Predator’s!! Now available and on sale for $200pp $100 off!
C0500AB2-23D0-410E-A809-FB2ABF5DA6D3.jpeg

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love em camaro, you have the sickest stuff. Just getting into some higher end zoas, have speckled kraks on the way to test the waters before i buy the predators though, but man yours look gorgeous
Thank you so much! I definitely have a collection. Please hit me up on the predators they are really hardy and honestly speckled Kraks can be a little finicky in my experiences

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! I definitely have a collection. Please hit me up on the predators they are really hardy and honestly speckled Kraks can be a little finicky in my experiences
ugh really, i hope they do fine. not concerned too much i got em at a steal but wanted to get them as there isnt much information on zoas and species and how hard each species specifically may be. Could be like acros too where some tenuis are just way easier than others, this IMO though. Just thought they had the same look as gmk and predator so took the shot on em

MarkyMark_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm debating adding zoas to my first ever tank (WB Cube 20) but I am apprehensive about having potentially toxic coral in my tank (and home)

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm debating adding zoas to my first ever tank (WB Cube 20) but I am apprehensive about having potentially toxic coral in my tank (and home)
this would be helpful in my new thread as well, which certain species are more deadly than the others. Obviously palys seem to be worse but what about the exact species.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are other ways to die by zoa, you could buy a colony of Grand master krak and have your wife shoot you

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had zoas in my first reef tank and loved them. I also had SPS...you can guess what happened. BUT, I still love zoas. When I rebooted my 90-gallon tank awhile back, I intended to have a zoa rock where I could keep the zoas from overrunning the tank. I ended up adding a 16 BioCube, which is about 95% zoas (other than 2 duncans). It still has a ways to go, but I love what I'm seeing so far! This is just a quick cell phone picture.

As far as favorites, that's hard to say. SOME of my favorites are pink zippers, miami vice, goblins on fire, blondie, and spitfire. I also have a hornet rock with blue hornets, red hornets, and rainbow hornets. I can't wait to see how this tank looks a year from now!

05.10.2021 A.jpg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 11 84.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back