Do AIOs strip nitrate out of the water too much?

jacalhou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how an AIO can inherently “strip” anything. It’s just a box with the filtration in the walled off back. They by default allow for limited filtration methods, which if anything, would tend to allow for *more* nitrates to accumulate.

in my AIO, both overflows begin with floss in cups for mechanical filtration. One compartment next to the left overflow has a carbon bag and my probes for the Trident. The compartment on the right side has an Eshopps nano skimmer in it and a heater probe. The main return chamber has a return pump, pump for a tunze macro algae reactor and another pump for an external sicce whale canister filter that runs occasionally just for extra water polishing. That’s where the return tube goes from the MAR and also the sample tube for the Trident as well. I’ve crammed a decent amount of stuff in there, but there’s no reason at all to believe that AIOs are capable of stripping anything on their own just because of their design.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are saying all you feed is nutrition flakes ?!?!? Well that’s your problem……
On occasion, I feed PE Mysis pellets but I feed the flakes 95% of the time. Only reason why I don't mix it up often is because my fish have an easier time grabbing it and digesting it. May start mixing it up. They'll probably start to learn how to eat it overtime.

jacalhou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On occasion, I feed PE Mysis pellets but I feed the flakes 95% of the time. Only reason why I don't mix it up often is because my fish have an easier time grabbing it and digesting it. May start mixing it up. They'll probably start to learn how to eat it overtime.
One of the neatest things I’ve read in a bit was the advice to “feed your reef”, not necessarily just your fish. I use a wide variety of foods on days I feed “heavily”. I love @Reef Nutrition products, so I use their Phyto Feast, Mysis Feast, Arctipods and Tigger Pods a lot. Tiggers I throw in as often as I can afford, to sustain my Mandarin. I dose Arctipods daily and the wrasse and Mandarin have a field day. I also use Piscene PE flakes and pellets daily and alternate the two. LRS Reef Frenzy is awesome too, just requires thawing. Bottom line is for me, between everything I feed, ideally *everything* gets fed, from the fish, to the corals, to the inverts and other bio critters too minuscule to see. Believe it or not, running chaeto, I still have to dose Brightwell’s Neophos and Neonitro occasionally to keep a healthy nutrient level. But again, the AIO doesn’t effect the nutrient levels, the chaeto, how much I feed, and the established bio filter does. I think if you try a variety of feeds, you’ll likely notice a better overall response in your entire system.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the neatest things I’ve read in a bit was the advice to “feed your reef”, not necessarily just your fish. I use a wide variety of foods on days I feed “heavily”. I love @Reef Nutrition products, so I use their Phyto Feast, Mysis Feast, Arctipods and Tigger Pods a lot. Tiggers I throw in as often as I can afford, to sustain my Mandarin. I dose Arctipods daily and the wrasse and Mandarin have a field day. I also use Piscene PE flakes and pellets daily and alternate the two. LRS Reef Frenzy is awesome too, just requires thawing. Bottom line is for me, between everything I feed, ideally *everything* gets fed, from the fish, to the corals, to the inverts and other bio critters too minuscule to see. Believe it or not, running chaeto, I still have to dose Brightwell’s Neophos and Neonitro occasionally to keep a healthy nutrient level. But again, the AIO doesn’t effect the nutrient levels, the chaeto, how much I feed, and the established bio filter does. I think if you try a variety of feeds, you’ll likely notice a better overall response in your entire system.
Will definitely give it a shot. I’ll see if I can find some of those foods next time I go to the store

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will definitely give it a shot. I’ll see if I can find some of those foods next time I go to the store
I feed my fish literally 7 different things thru the week at least 3 different a day at the least every day my fish get nori, Neptune’s pellets, new life spectrum pellets , frozen mysis , phyto , and at least 1 other frozen cube. And I do this 3x a day. Nitrates 15 and phosphates .15

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my LFS owner told me today that AIOs tend to strip nitrates out of the water to the point where it’s too much even. I have been having a nitrate issue since forever (been 9 months since day 1) and it has never gone above 0 except after the cycle. Im skeptical that it’s the AIO that gets rid of these nitrates too efficiently and more of a filtration thing but it makes sense. Do a lot of you AIO owners agree with this too?
You are right to be skeptical, that is a load of rubbish, if anything they are harder to keep nitrates down.

Last edited:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back