Do all pistol shrimp grow long antennas?

Parsely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fairly new to this hobby and am considering getting a goby/pistol shrimp pair for my 13.5g tank.

My one concern is when I have seen some fully grown shrimp in aquariums their antennas are really long. I saw one video in a tank my size and the antenna pretty much was able to touch wall to wall. If that is the case I’ll look at other stocking options because I wouldn’t want it to take up such a large presence in the tank.

So basically my question is will all pistol shrimps grow such long antennas?

I read that Randall’s pistol shrimps are the smallest but I couldn’t tell how big their antennas will actually get.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fairly new to this hobby and am considering getting a goby/pistol shrimp pair for my 13.5g tank.

My one concern is when I have seen some fully grown shrimp in aquariums their antennas are really long. I saw one video in a tank my size and the antenna pretty much was able to touch wall to wall. If that is the case I’ll look at other stocking options because I wouldn’t want it to take up such a large presence in the tank.

I read that Randall’s pistol shrimps are the smallest but I couldn’t tell how big their antennas will actually get.
Randall’s are the smallest and I don’t imagine them to get quite as big antennae. The Tiger is one of the larger pistols in captivity and even then I don’t believe one of them would get quite as long antennae.

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I have a pretty large Tiger Pistol in my Evo and his antennas are definitely not that long. He does like to do laps when the pump gets turned off for feeding time. His antennas are not any longer than his body. I wonder what type of pistol was in that video!

Attachments

• 5FA14056-E463-41D2-BE64-1A4ADA3138A5.jpeg
    5FA14056-E463-41D2-BE64-1A4ADA3138A5.jpeg
    221.5 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
P

Parsely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm o, maybe I was mistaken but if they don’t get that big that’s good to know! Thanks for the input!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back