Do Any Of These Fish Look Sick?

Which have a Disease?

• Sailfin Tang (Brown)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sleeper Banded Goby (Grey, Black, Blue dots on face)

• Clownfish (Light Peach Color) (Female)

• Clownfish (Orange) (Male)

• Total voters

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I start, I have no Quarantine yet, however I do want one. And also I had a wrasse for about 2 weeks, had to remove it because it was killing my clowns...and then replaced it with other fish (read below). You can also read my build thread that I posted yesterday for more info.

So, I've had the 2 Clownfish since I started the tank. The Tanks been running for about 2 months. The Clowns had ich from the pet store, I thought I looked hard enough but I don't think there immune system reacted to the ich until they were put into my tank. So on July 16th I decided to add a checkerboard wrasse to the tank from LiveAquaria(not thrilled with them btw). The wrasse was hiding for a few days until he tried to own the tank. On about July 21st I noticed the hostility. By July 30th I was sure the clowns wouldn't survive if it continues. The wrasse grabbed my female clownfish's gills and swam with him in his mouth. That was the last straw. On Aug 1st I had to remove him from my tank. He was given to a Petco. :( There went $100 but at least my clowns could heal and it would probably save me money in the future.

Wrasse is not with me anymore :(
IMG_20210728_094414338.jpg

Clownfish
IMG_20210805_170443915.jpg

IMG_20210805_170922894.jpg

IMG_20210805_171329051_BURST037~2.jpg

So, after that Scenario...I decided on August 2nd to buy a Sailfin Tang and a Sleeper Banded Goby from another Petco and at around 9pm they were added into the tank. (Don't worry we're almost there...) Btw Tuesdays readings were...
Ammonia 0-0.15ppm Hard to tell
Nitrate 6 or 7ppm
Ph 8.2
Alk 7.7dkh (raised alk to 8.5 later that night)
Magnesium 1350ppm
Calcium 425ppm
Salinity 1.026 S.G.

Yesterday's (Wednesday Aug 4th) Alk was reading 8.3 DKH so I am assuming it's around 8 today.

So yesterday I saw the tang scrape against a rock 1 or 2 times, thought it could be from the stress and maybe it would go away, thought of ich immediately. I didn't notice anything with the Goby. They both are eating, especially the tang. Nobody is fighting in the tank.

Today, I see the Goby scraping on the rocks and sand quite a bit. So I keep watching and he keeps doing it, I looked at him before and couldn't tell if there were any ich spots.

IMG_20210805_180754634.jpg

I haven't seen the tang scrape today, but the best way I can describe it is him looking like he has dry patches on his skin or kinda milky waterish blotches on him and his color looks faded. However the tang is eating alot more than the Goby. But the Goby does sift through the sand and I spot fed him brine shrimp and Hikari Marine S pellets and saw him eat some.

IMG_20210805_160955672.jpg

Currently just put a dose of herbtana Microbe Lift for the disease/s. Removed carbon, Turned off protein skimmer and uv sterilizer.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures are not always sufficient to ID fish diseases. All I see in these are that the clownfish have droopy dorsal fins...they should be held "proud". This isn't a symptom of any specific disease, only that they aren't happy. A good clown will swim with all fins extended, and wiggle like a happy puppy. Yours are just hanging, with fins clamped....

Jay

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures are not always sufficient to ID fish diseases. All I see in these are that the clownfish have droopy dorsal fins...they should be held "proud". This isn't a symptom of any specific disease, only that they aren't happy. A good clown will swim with all fins extended, and wiggle like a happy puppy. Yours are just hanging, with fins clamped....

Jay
Interesting, They had just eaten and was 30 mins before lights out, could this have anything to do with it? What are some things that make clowns unhappy? Maybe ammonia is rising? From the new fish? Maybe they are over eating? I feed them 2x a day. Should I switch to 1x a day?

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, They had just eaten and was 30 mins before lights out, could this have anything to do with it? What are some things that make clowns unhappy? Maybe ammonia is rising? From the new fish? Maybe they are over eating? I feed them 2x a day. Should I switch to 1x a day?
No, don’t cut back on food. I can’t say why the clowns are droopy, just that it means they could be happier….
Jay

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back