Do any of you reefers know how to smoke elk tri-tip?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I figure some of you awesome Reef2Reefers probably know how to smoke some good game! I'm not new to smoking meat, but this one is a first for me.

I've got a 2.6 lb. elk tri-tip that I'm planning to smoke. This will be my first time smoking elk or tri-tip, and to complicate matters even further my family won't eat meat if it's still red/pink (I know...I know...). But...I have a plan...

From what I'm seeing elk isn't too complicated to smoke, so as long as it's done low and slow, I think I'll be fine? I'm also thinking that if I use a good marinade, maybe I can get it close to well done without drying it out.

My plan:

1) Marinate with a beer marinade overnight (I read that going 2 days will lose the gamey flavor, but that's actually part of what I like about game, so I'm thinking 1 day is good?).

2) smoke at 225 in my MES until internal is at 150.

3) pull and sear in cast iron skillet (with some butter) to IT of 160.

4) rest for a few minutes then serve

Does this sound like a good plan?

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a pretty small hunk for a long smoke. I would only take it to 160 internal, let it rest for five minutes and dig in

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For cooking Tri-Tip, use Lump Coal, don't have a raging fire but simmering coals put Red Oak Chips in there, use Susie Q's seasoning with Worchester sauce, you could use Montreal Steak not traditional though. Take a picture of the Tri-Tip prior to cooking so you know which way the grain is, it changes on the roast. Always cut the Tri-Tip across the grain. Buy a large piece and with the leftovers cut it cold, very thinly, and make sandwiches with it, put some BBQ sauce on it. When you are cooking the Tri-Tip over the coals, when you drop it on the grill it will bounce when it is done. aka Tri-Tip bounce. Enjoy that is what I am making right now. PS since you are in So Cal drive up to Santa Marie and Pismo Beach and enjoy some Tri-Tip, just drive down the street you will smell it, the street vendors cooking it in random parking lots.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little secret I learned is that yellow mustard in a marinade will help to turn meat brown. A santa maria marinade is a great choice. It will allow you to serve beef at a lower temp but the color will be what they expect.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figure some of you awesome Reef2Reefers probably know how to smoke some good game! I'm not new to smoking meat, but this one is a first for me.

I've got a 2.6 lb. elk tri-tip that I'm planning to smoke. This will be my first time smoking elk or tri-tip, and to complicate matters even further my family won't eat meat if it's still red/pink (I know...I know...). But...I have a plan...

From what I'm seeing elk isn't too complicated to smoke, so as long as it's done low and slow, I think I'll be fine? I'm also thinking that if I use a good marinade, maybe I can get it close to well done without drying it out.

My plan:

1) Marinate with a beer marinade overnight (I read that going 2 days will lose the gamey flavor, but that's actually part of what I like about game, so I'm thinking 1 day is good?).

2) smoke at 225 in my MES until internal is at 150.

3) pull and sear in cast iron skillet (with some butter) to IT of 160.

4) rest for a few minutes then serve

Does this sound like a good plan?
Boy brings back memories smoking, I used to marinate with herbs and rice vinegar. Vinegar had to be right consistency so you don't taste it, but the meat would fall off the bone type effect. In other Words very tender. We would build smokers out of huge terracotta pots, big ones like for small trees. The base of the huge planters would be the lid, we would install an electric heater at the bottom inside, controlled by device similar to the Ranco temperature controller. 180 degrees all day long with soaked wood chips.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That meat should not be gamey if it was taken care of after the harvest. Most of the time that taste is from being spoiled.
"gamey"
adjective
definition: doesn't taste like pork, beef or chicken.

check Hank Shaw's website and or FB page.
:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Followed the plan (except I pulled from smoker at 145). Turned out amazing!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow I'm surprised it wasn't dry and tough as a bone. I never take my game past 135
I marinated and then injected, but it was super tender! Definitely something I'd do again!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back