Do any of your fish do this nasty thing? DISGUSTING!

Do any of your fish eat the other fish's poop?

• Yes

Votes: 320 70.8%
  • No

Votes: 53 11.7%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 74 16.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 1.1%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well this is kinda gross today but a thread from yesterday "inspired" me to ask you this question today. So blame it on @G Santana if you want to blame someone! :p As gross as it may be it did make me wonder how many of your fish might be doing the same thing. So what are fish doing? They are eating poop. More specifically other fishes poop! If it were a snail eating poop it would be perfectly acceptable but seeing a fish eat it takes to another level, or does it? Anyway let's talk about it today!

1. Do any of your fish eat the other fish's poop?

2. How do you feel about it? Grossed out, doesn't bother you, what?

yellow tang tastes like chicken.jpg

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of them, but especially the larger ones. This is natural. Each time a fish eats the stuff, 1/3 or so of the energy and nutrients gets absorbed. The value of the food is basically cut in 1/3 each time.

I don't care if they eat it. I think that the look out the glass at me and wonder why I don't eat poop.

Edit:
Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 9.50.46 AM.png

Last edited:

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is kinda gross today but a thread from yesterday "inspired" me to ask you this question today. So blame it on @G Santana if you want to blame someone! :p As gross as it may be it did make me wonder how many of your fish might be doing the same thing. So what are fish doing? They are eating poop. More specifically other fishes poop! If it were a snail eating poop it would be perfectly acceptable but seeing a fish eat it takes to another level, or does it? Anyway let's talk about it today!

1. Do any of your fish eat the other fish's poop?

2. How do you feel about it? Grossed out, doesn't bother you, what?

yellow tang tastes like chicken.jpg
all the time, dosent faze me anymore

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I do know a couple of my tangs will scatter poop when I feed to truck the others it’s food while they steal it all

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish must be shy poopers, because I have only seen one of my fish poop one time. No one ate it, because it was breakfast time and I was offering something more enticing than fish dookie.

I might have to eat my words. I just glanced up and think I saw a chromis pooping while making a mad dash around the corner. He was alone, his waste eliminated in private, uneaten, as it should be. ;Hilarious

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you might be surprised at how much fecal matter you’ve consumed in your life. The only way to avoid it is to not eat anything (and probably keep your mouth closed and not breath, either). It’s like all the micro fauna that live on our bodies and all the insect particles in our food, it’s just a fact of life, one that’s best not to think about if you’re bothered by such things.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not nasty - it is like this

This is natural. Each time a fish eats the stuff, 1/3 or so of the energy and nutrients gets absorbed. The value of the food is basically cut in 1/3 each time.

Sincerely Lasse

daileyo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see my fish do it once in awhile. Most of the time it is more like they are tasting it and then spitting it back out.

It doesn't bug me. It bugged me me much more when my dogs would do it. ;Vomit
It may be a double standard, but then again; my fish don't lick my face whenever they have the opportunity. (maybe because they don't ever have the opportunity?...)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back