Do any of your fish do this nasty thing? DISGUSTING!

Do any of your fish eat the other fish's poop?

• Yes

Votes: 320 70.8%
  • No

Votes: 53 11.7%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 74 16.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 1.1%

• Total voters

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have never seen it in my tank - fishes will mouth the poop and spit it out. But it is quite common in the wild - Some of the big tangs in Hawaii are poop generating wonders, and their poop rarely makes it to the bottom. The technical term is coprophagy.
All organisms are a little bit gross if you think too hard.

People are about 70% efficient in digesting food and fish are 40% or so by design. They are wonders at feeding corals half dead bacteria.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, all the time. Personally, I don't see the appeal, but it doesn't bother me one bit. Less nutrients to export I suppose.

Now when my yellow lab tries to eat his poop, that bothers me a great deal...

BryanJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to call it ABC (Already Been Chewed) food. I can only imagine some of the foods we feed don't fully digest and then they pass it. Some of the pieces of shrimp they eat are huge and they eat more than that one piece. Its gotta go somewhere.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is kinda gross today but a thread from yesterday "inspired" me to ask you this question today. So blame it on @G Santana if you want to blame someone! :p As gross as it may be it did make me wonder how many of your fish might be doing the same thing. So what are fish doing? They are eating poop. More specifically other fishes poop! If it were a snail eating poop it would be perfectly acceptable but seeing a fish eat it takes to another level, or does it? Anyway let's talk about it today!

1. Do any of your fish eat the other fish's poop?

2. How do you feel about it? Grossed out, doesn't bother you, what?

yellow tang tastes like chicken.jpg
It is only natural. Fisk is not alone with this habit therefore nor disgusted or surprised

Magic City Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't necessarily say they eat the poop as much as they suck it in and then spit it out. On some occasions, I've even seen them come around for a second taste. ;Vomit

StewL6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my fish from time to time. My blue sided fairy Wrasse and lawnmower blenny never spit anything out. Don’t mind though just gives them bad breath

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see my fish take in stuff floating in the water column and sometimes spitting it back out. It’s how they determine if something unknown is food I would guess.

I haven’t witnessed any of them taking in poop as it floats by AND NOT spit it out.

It wouldn’t surprise me if they didn’t and it wouldn’t gross me out if they actively sought it out.

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't gross me out.. better then settling on the bottom of the tank.my fish all eat it and so do my corals especially my flower anemones . They grab it right away. Its nutrition for them.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tomini who poops in the same front corner multiple times a day. Always hermits hanging out there.

GradientHurdle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is kinda gross today but a thread from yesterday "inspired" me to ask you this question today. So blame it on @G Santana if you want to blame someone! :p As gross as it may be it did make me wonder how many of your fish might be doing the same thing. So what are fish doing? They are eating poop. More specifically other fishes poop! If it were a snail eating poop it would be perfectly acceptable but seeing a fish eat it takes to another level, or does it? Anyway let's talk about it today!

1. Do any of your fish eat the other fish's poop?

2. How do you feel about it? Grossed out, doesn't bother you, what?

yellow tang tastes like chicken.jpg
Yes, but only the tangs, not other species.

beardog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I think 2 out of the 4 tangs and lunate wrasse are poop eaters which has never bothered me. Now when my dog eats cat poop that is definitely disgusting.

Timetowaste

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive seen my clowns grab a pc here or there but they always spit it out. Doesn't bother me I just laugh. I like to imagine they dont realize until its to late and immediately spit it out once they know. "Dang thats s***".

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back