Do Berghia Nudibranches cause Aptasia to reproduce??

JasonC.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I have always been told that if you stress out or try to kill aiptasia myself they will multiply like crazy because they can "for lack of a better word,"spawn" off new apatasia.
So my question is, do aiptasia also do that when a Berghia Nudibranche is eating them? It seems like they would in a self preservation response. I am considering adding some Nudibranches, but I dont want to spend a bunch of money on them if the end results will be the same as trying to kill them myself. Would a File fish be a better choice?? Any input on this will be greatly appreciated.

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Berghia twice and they got the job done for me. After eradicating the Aiptasia, they will starve if you do not remove them (trade them in to your LFS or pass them along to a fellow reefer in need). I have been fortunate in a couple of my tanks to have a Copperband Butterfly that had a taste for the pests and kept them at bay. I've never had a File fish but would expect them to keep Aiptasia away like a CBB.

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried kalk paste, superglue, and most recently majano wand to rid my tank of aiptasia. Paste and superglue seemed to be about 50% effective. The majano wand made them spread like crazy (works well on majanos though). The berghias were by far the most effective for me. 6 of them ridding well over a dozen aiptasia in my 150.

No experience with a filefish or copperband, but from alot of reading they seem to be hit or miss. I would go with the berghias, all they eat is aiptasia.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back