Do BioCubes really fail and leak as much as I’m reading in reviews?

AEN1MA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to get back into reefing and I really like the BioCube but I’m worried about all the reviews I’ve read about how many of them leak from the rounded edges. Is this really a problem with a majority of them and if so does anyone know what is a comparable tank that is more reliable?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like anything people post problems more than not.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was once skeptical of the claims. Have seen about eight examples stated so far, cringe. Number of leaking vase reefs in the world, literally zero so the standard does exist.

OP
OP
A

AEN1MA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was once skeptical of the claims. Have seen about eight examples stated so far, cringe. Number of leaking vase reefs in the world, literally zero so the standard does exist.
I’m just getting back into the hobby and this is the first I’ve seen about Vase Reefs and they look so interesting. Thank you for bringing this to my attention I’m definitely going to read up on them some more.

Elegance Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have sold many biocubes over the years and continue to do so. I have never had one leak. Anything man made can fail, but I don't believe these tanks have a real problem with leaking. I did have the LED light go out in one that I recently sold. I called them up and they sent out a new one. No questions asked. Didn't have to send in the old one, none of that stuff......... I'm picky about what I sell, and will continue to sell these tanks because I believe they are good reliable products with great customer service.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leak proof + tightest salinity control on the entire board. Not one reef here including 350+ gallons can beat that tiny little vase on salinity stability, irony
20210622_150538.jpg

AEN1MAN
now for the bad news= no fish allowed lol

No nerf allowed in home or devastation. Look at that base it wants to tip over from just looking at it roughly. the heater takes up a third of the space unfortunately

yes that’s a paper shim admit that’s funny. Wal mart wasn’t selling totally flat base vases in 06

precarious teetering, really. corals aren’t bought for the tank, the tank produces corals slowly outbound for the lfs as magnet mount trades.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

is that the same tank we are talking about here

OP
OP
A

AEN1MA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have sold many biocubes over the years and continue to do so. I have never had one leak. Anything man made can fail, but I don't believe these tanks have a real problem with leaking. I did have the LED light go out in one that I recently sold. I called them up and they sent out a new one. No questions asked. Didn't have to send in the old one, none of that stuff......... I'm picky about what I sell, and will continue to sell these tanks because I believe they are good reliable products with great customer service.
Thank you that’s definitely good to hear

OP
OP
A

AEN1MA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don’t think so Biocubes are 14/16 gal and 29/32 gal and that one sounds like a 24 gal cube

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok nice that's why I didnt pounce in the thread, wasn't sure of the shared ID of cubes lol. maybe we should add his name brand to the concern list though lol, pattern entry #1 above.

i got eyes on them cubes now

OP
OP
A

AEN1MA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leak proof + tightest salinity control on the entire board. Not one reef here including 350+ gallons can beat that tiny little vase on salinity stability, irony
20210622_150538.jpg

AEN1MAN
now for the bad news= no fish allowed lol

No nerf allowed in home or devastation. Look at that base it wants to tip over from just looking at it roughly. the heater takes up a third of the space unfortunately

yes that’s a paper shim admit that’s funny. Wal mart wasn’t selling totally flat base vases in 06

precarious teetering, really. corals aren’t bought for the tank, the tank produces corals slowly outbound for the lfs as magnet mount trades.
Wow that vase looks really cool! I have a lot to learn I never knew any of these things back in ‘05-‘06 when I had my last reef. I had fish and a few corals but I’m looking now to focus more on coral and just a few or no fish depending on the setup. I’d like to try a vase that’s interesting.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a biocube from like 2007 that’s still in great shape (though it’s been empty for 2 years, but it ran great for over a decade).

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure we could find that many examples of any popular tank. Don’t forget that the biocube is probably the most sold reef-ready tank in the world, obviously there are going to be some failures. But, from what I’ve heard, Coralife is pretty great with their warranties and I’ve even heard of them paying for damages to peoples’ homes from tanks cracking.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is an ancient JBJ Nanocube in a homemade stand, like at least 10 years old (they don’t make the 24g anymore). That’s not say Nanocubes are prone to cracking.

Oldsman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our 32 has been wet a year and doing well. ! Perfect for our small space and keeping the top doesn't require much top off water.
Ours had a noisy fan right out of the box, but coral life sent a new one . They're customers service is fantastic

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back