Do bubble tip anemones need to be QT'd?

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've conflicting stories. Mainly regarding caring in fish parasites @Jay Hemdal what are your thoughts on the subject?

Last edited:

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think they can carry any parasite eggs/cysts other than in the water that they carry within themselves.... so I always make sure to dump the water that came with them and put them in a bucket with some fresh/clean SW. Let them be for a bit, then do a water change. let them be for a while, do another water change, etc... its best if you can get them to deflate during this process and then re-inflate in some fresh water.

I do a few water changes for them but that is the extent of my QT for nems.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No need to

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've conflicting stories. Mainly regarding caring in fish parasites @Jay Hemdal what are your thoughts on the subject?

It depends. If they are coming from a tank that has an active infection, they will almost assuredly carry over the infection (they are filled with tank water). If the tank they are coming from doesn't have fish in it, or the fish in it are healthy, then no problem.

I've read that "anemones don't carry ich". That is patently false, Besides, ich is just one of a number of parasites that you need to be wary of; neobenedenia has sticky eggs, and other protozoans are small and easily moved. That idea is based on where ich tomonts tend to settle out in a tank, and they don't settle on anemones, but that is only one possible pathway - anythng wet can carry active ich. We know that moving your hands from one tank to another can transfer ich, so can anemones!

I prefer to hold new anemones in a fishless tank for 45 days (30 at a minimum).

Jay

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven’t been quarantining corals or inverts so far, the nem poses no greater risk than they did. That said, it is a good practice to - one that I wish I would get into.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back