Do glass tanks need to be resealed regularly?

Kris 2020

Super Active Excellent Well Known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have had an acrylic tank, and an aio bow front that seemed to not have seams (regardless only ran it for 5 years or so), but now I have a custom made glass tank made by Miracles. It’s 30w x 20 deep x 24 high. 1/2” glass, rimless. It was built in 2013. Soooo my question is, do aquariums need to be resealed periodically? if so, how often? I’m not having any issues or anything. But I can’t imagine shutting this tank down to do that, much less resealing it myself. I’ve never done anything like that and it would probably look awful. And leak. And if I had it done someplace or had someone do it for me, like, my livestock hangs out in a bin for the time being? It just sounds so awful. Do most people wait until they notice....something wrong...before they would do this? And what does one watch for to know the silicone is...old? going bad?

So the answer I’m looking for is no, they never need to be resealed haha. I will argue prolifically with any posts telling me otherwise. Just kidding.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have had an acrylic tank, and an aio bow front that seemed to not have seams (regardless only ran it for 5 years or so), but now I have a custom made glass tank made by Miracles. It’s 30w x 20 deep x 24 high. 1/2” glass, rimless. It was built in 2013. Soooo my question is, do aquariums need to be resealed periodically? if so, how often? I’m not having any issues or anything. But I can’t imagine shutting this tank down to do that, much less resealing it myself. I’ve never done anything like that and it would probably look awful. And leak. And if I had it done someplace or had someone do it for me, like, my livestock hangs out in a bin for the time being? It just sounds so awful. Do most people wait until they notice....something wrong...before they would do this? And what does one watch for to know the silicone is...old? going bad?

So the answer I’m looking for is no, they never need to be resealed haha. I will argue prolifically with any posts telling me otherwise. Just kidding.

We have a member that had a tank running for 40+ years. A lot of hobbyist running tanks for decades.

A good quality tank manufacturer's tanks can easily do this if the tank is level and stand is well made.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*1 on all of the above.

OP
OP
Kris 2020

Kris 2020

Super Active Excellent Well Known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a member that had a tank running for 40+ years. A lot of hobbyist running tanks for decades.

A good quality tank manufacturer's tanks can easily do this if the tank is level and stand is well made.
I am a little off on the level. When I test filled the tank it was fine level wise. But within a couple of months of being filled I noticed that I was a 1-2 mm higher water on one side. Something settled. we put another support post on a beam in the basement on the low side to keep it from potentially dipping further. Front to back it’s level. Side to side it’s not. I haven't tried to shim up that corner because I’m afraid to, afraid of breaking something or messing up the front to back level. Thoughts?

15EACA5B-6FC8-44A3-8E33-6EB5DA0F4E30.jpeg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a little off on the level. When I test filled the tank it was fine level wise. But within a couple of months of being filled I noticed that I was a 1-2 mm higher water on one side. Something settled. we put another support post on a beam in the basement on the low side to keep it from potentially dipping further. Front to back it’s level. Side to side it’s not. I haven't tried to shim up that corner because I’m afraid to, afraid of breaking something or messing up the front to back level. Thoughts?

15EACA5B-6FC8-44A3-8E33-6EB5DA0F4E30.jpeg

That's good in my book!

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 20 gallon refugium was made in 1986, and the silicon still looks as good as my 180, that was built in 2001. You have plenty of time before you have to even think about resealing that tank.

Although full disclosure. I have been dropping hints to my wife that silicon only lasts about 20 year’s so I can justify getting a new tank!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back