Do Harlequin Shrimp eat the entire sea star?

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been seeing some conflicting info. Some sites/people say that they only eat the tube feet, while others say they eat the entire star. I assume they must eat the entire star, otherwise they wouldn't be able to demolish Asterina populations right?

Also, are they particular to any species of sea star? I know chocolate chip stars are the most commonly used for feeding harlequin shrimp, but if I wanted to give it a varied diet, could i use other species (sand sifting star, Linckia, red reef stars, etc)?
What about wild stars? There are plenty of cold water stars where I live, like ochre stars, bat stars, and blood stars. Would Harlequin shrimp eat those as well?

Edit: I should note that I do not currently own a harlequin shrimp. I'm thinking about getting one but I would like to have a good idea of what I'm getting myself into before I buy one.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read that they like to try to keep star alive to get maximum value (eat a leg at a time) but I don’t see why they wouldn’t eat the whole star eventually

kev.2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that they eat the whole star. I have 1 on my tank, who has destroyed my asterina population, but I don’t see any asterina carcasses in my tank; which makes me think they finish them all.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been seeing some conflicting info. Some sites/people say that they only eat the tube feet, while others say they eat the entire star. I assume they must eat the entire star, otherwise they wouldn't be able to demolish Asterina populations right?

Also, are they particular to any species of sea star? I know chocolate chip stars are the most commonly used for feeding harlequin shrimp, but if I wanted to give it a varied diet, could i use other species (sand sifting star, Linckia, red reef stars, etc)?
What about wild stars? There are plenty of cold water stars where I live, like ochre stars, bat stars, and blood stars. Would Harlequin shrimp eat those as well?

Edit: I should note that I do not currently own a harlequin shrimp. I'm thinking about getting one but I would like to have a good idea of what I'm getting myself into before I buy one.
I’ve personally owned a pair and they are very messy eaters. They do not eat the whole star fish if you feed them chocolate chip stars. They primarily want to eat the feet but tend to eat little more then that and then leave a pile of debris chunks of flesh

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the star ive seen them die before being fully eaten. The most sustainable way to keep them is to keep a seperate tank or sump filled with astrinas or chocolate stars. If youre feeding chocolate stars only cut the tip of a leg off once a week. With about 3 chocolates you should be able to feed a harlequin indefinitely without killing the stars

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy like 500 asterina stars off eBay for cheap also or buy a bigger starfish and freeze it / cut off a leg a week or something , I like starfish too much so I could never haha

OP
OP
BelieveInBlue

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve personally owned a pair and they are very messy eaters. They do not eat the whole star fish if you feed them chocolate chip stars. They primarily want to eat the feet but tend to eat little more then that and then leave a pile of debris chunks of flesh
How often do you feed yours? I wonder if you ease up on the feedings would they be more inclined to polish off the entire star?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you feed yours? I wonder if you ease up on the feedings would they be more inclined to polish off the entire star?
They will not because when they are done they leave the dead leftover body and do not go back to it. Then 2-3 weeks later they out searching tank again to eat.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried feeding them other stars to see what happens? How long does a chocolate chip star last them?
Lol do you know how much other stars cost compaired to chocolate :) they eat for couple days then good for 2-3 weeks

OP
OP
BelieveInBlue

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk my lfs has sandsifting stars for 25 and chocolate chip for 20. Red reef for 30 I think? Not that much more considering they eat about once a month or so.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk my lfs has sandsifting stars for 25 and chocolate chip for 20. Red reef for 30 I think? Not that much more considering they eat about once a month or so.
Yea at the time I was doing this was getting chocolate for 4$

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My harlequin eats the whole starfish, he leaves some of the hardened material inside the starfish but no flesh left.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My harlequin eats the whole starfish, he leaves some of the hardened material inside the starfish but no flesh left.
Yea like little white chunks of something. It was like body rubble. I never really examined it I just scooped it out and threw it away I felt like I left it in the tank it would pollute the water that’s for sure

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea like little white chunks of something. It was like body rubble. I never really examined it I just scooped it out and threw it away I felt like I left it in the tank it would pollute the water that’s for sure
Yes, same here just little white chunks.

OP
OP
BelieveInBlue

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm.... What about wild caught stars? Anybody ever try those? I'm pretty close to the beach and we get all kinds of cold water species I could easily chop off a leg or two (or 10 in the case of sun stars) every week. I don't mind going to the beach either so as long as harlequins eat them I'm more than happy to take monthly trips to the beach.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm.... What about wild caught stars? Anybody ever try those? I'm pretty close to the beach and we get all kinds of cold water species I could easily chop off a leg or two (or 10 in the case of sun stars) every week. I don't mind going to the beach either so as long as harlequins eat them I'm more than happy to take monthly trips to the beach.

I don’t think shrimp will mind other starfish , I’d be more worried of what that star would bring into yr system, it’s from a different environment carrying different bacteria/diseases and from the wild on top of that. I would never catch mice to feed my snake for example. But it could aslo be fine just a risk

OP
OP
BelieveInBlue

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think shrimp will mind other starfish , I’d be more worried of what that star would bring into yr system, it’s from a different environment carrying different bacteria/diseases and from the wild on top of that. I would never catch mice to feed my snake for example. But it could aslo be fine just a risk
I figured that coldwater diseases wouldn't translate to a tropical setting, but just in case I could always freeze the limbs for a week before feeding it. I doubt a coldwater star would survive at 78F anyways so it probably wouldn't make a huge difference.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back