Do Harlequin Shrimp eat the entire sea star?

CnidaChris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been seeing some conflicting info. Some sites/people say that they only eat the tube feet, while others say they eat the entire star. I assume they must eat the entire star, otherwise they wouldn't be able to demolish Asterina populations right?

Also, are they particular to any species of sea star? I know chocolate chip stars are the most commonly used for feeding harlequin shrimp, but if I wanted to give it a varied diet, could i use other species (sand sifting star, Linckia, red reef stars, etc)?
What about wild stars? There are plenty of cold water stars where I live, like ochre stars, bat stars, and blood stars. Would Harlequin shrimp eat those as well?

Edit: I should note that I do not currently own a harlequin shrimp. I'm thinking about getting one but I would like to have a good idea of what I'm getting myself into before I buy one.
They will absolutely eat the entire starfish if you give them enough time. My harlequin pretty much lives on top of the starfish until it is done eating it.

CnidaChris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My harlequin shrimp takes around 3-4 weeks to finish off a medium size chocolate chip star that usually costs me around $14. The shrimp will not let the starfish out of its sight, usually perching on or next to it until it’s completely consumed. Usually a couple of bristleworms will clean up any additional mess from the shrimp 79A9BDB5-ADCC-44A3-AB42-D4D1A3058998.jpeg 59ABB962-07F4-4616-8256-E0FA31DADE44.jpeg

OP
OP
BelieveInBlue

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've actually decided to shelf this idea for the time being, but that's good to know. I'll keep that in mind as I'm sure I'll want to keep harlequin shrimp some day. Thanks!

Ryanevo2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy like 500 asterina stars off eBay for cheap also or buy a bigger starfish and freeze it / cut off a leg a week or something , I like starfish too much so I could never haha
You have a link? I haven’t found anything decent on eBay. Most I saw was 50 for $35

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a link? I haven’t found anything decent on eBay. Most I saw was 50 for $35
Sadly no , it was over 6 months ago and the prices may have changed , used to be even snails would be like 100 for 25$ , I have a little asterina star invasion in my tank tho lol

Ryanevo2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly no , it was over 6 months ago and the prices may have changed , used to be even snails would be like 100 for 25$ , I have a little asterina star invasion in my tank tho lol
Yeah I’ll keep my eyes open for people posting them on eBay. I never thought to check eBay. It’s funny how you go from wanting them all gone to now I want a steady supply. My shrimp did his job now I have to keep him happy

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’ll keep my eyes open for people posting them on eBay. I never thought to check eBay. It’s funny how you go from wanting them all gone to now I want a steady supply. My shrimp did his job now I have to keep him happy
Lol ye it’s ironic , Also check with LFS they might have a lot and give for free

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back