Do hermit crabs make loud clicking / popping sounds ?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had 2 scarlet hermit crabs for about 2 weeks. They are very small, the size of a dime. Many times I’ve heard this loud clicking sound coming from the tank. This morning when I got up I heard it again. It sounds like something is being banged agains the glass.

I’ve never had crabs before so I don’t know what it means. I’ve researched the internet and all I find is infos about crabs chirping. But this is not chirping. So is this noise coming from the crabs and why are they doing it ?

Thanks !

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any way that a pistol could have snuck in?
I have no experience with saltwatwr shrimps, but this tank has only been running for 3-4 weeks. It has 4 fish, 3 nassarius snails, 3 trochus snails and 2 hermit crabs.

Could a shrimp hide in a snail’s shell ?
Maybe on a rock attached to a new coral?
There are only 2 corals in the tank. 2 small GSP frags that came from the same supplier as the clean up crew.

Again, could a very tiny shrimp hide under such a small frag ? Both were dipped also for 15 minutes before going in the DT.

I had a large hermit crab (about the size of a marshmallow), and you could hear his shell knocking against the tank glass. But that doesn’t seem to be what you are describing.

Hum, no, the sounds I hear are repetitive bursts or one shot and last for a few seconds. Thanks for trying though !

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way you describe it, it defiantly sounds like a pistol shrimp. Sounds like snapping fingers loudly? I can hear mine on the other side of the house.

Sort of, but faster than most people could. And the sound is very clear, not muffled.

It almost sounded like an electrical problem this morning. I checked but didn’t see anything wrong. The other times it didn’t last as long. It was mostly 1 or 2 short bursts.

aurora.k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t imagine this is not a pistol shrimp… I‘m not a super long-timer, but in 4 years with many many snails the only thing I’ve heard like what you’re describing is my pistol shrimp. why don’t you google it - I’m sure there are a ton of YouTube videos so you can hear it and see if it is the same sound.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All sizes do it.I’ve seen mostly Trochus snails doing this
Oh, I thought you were talking about the crabs, still.

My trochus are big, I find. I have a smaller one in another tank and it’s never made this sound. Let’s hope I can see who the guilty one is next time, lol !

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t imagine this is not a pistol shrimp… I‘m not a super long-timer, but in 4 years with many many snails the only thing I’ve heard like what you’re describing is my pistol shrimp. why don’t you google it - I’m sure there are a ton of YouTube videos so you can hear it and see if it is the same sound.

I did and saw one video. It sounded like it but it wasn’t repetitive so I need to watch more.

Back