Do hermit crabs make loud clicking / popping sounds ?

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pistol shrimp need time to “reload”. I don’t think it could make repeated strikes in a short time like you’re describing.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My trochus snails do it -- they shake their shells if they (sometimes mistakenly) think something is on them, and when they do it near a corner of the tank it makes a tapping/clicking sound against the glass.

I also freaked out until I saw it happening one time and confirmed that's what the sound was.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like this is what I am hearing near my tank too and I don't have any pistol shrimp. initially I thought it was snail that got its shell caught in the powerhead... now im not so sure

Sesty22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So might not be the same thing, but I was experiencing the same sort of sound. I heard it one night before bed. I looked all over and couldn't figure out what it was.

Woke up the next day and heard it again. After sitting at the tank for almost an hour watching until I heard it again, I finally found where the occasional sound came from.

There was a small ceriths snail from my clean up crew that had wedged itself in on of the cutout holes on the back my my Nero3 wave maker pump and every once in a while it would get hit by the fan blade and make a loud clicking noise, the snail would move slightly and it would stop. Also had one go inside my return pump and cause a similar sound, had to take the pump apart to remove the snail. BOTH survived lol. They are so small, but I Love dwarf ceriths.

Maybe check your pumps.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So might not be the same thing, but I was experiencing the same sort of sound. I heard it one night before bed. I looked all over and couldn't figure out what it was.

Woke up the next day and heard it again. After sitting at the tank for almost an hour watching until I heard it again, I finally found where the occasional sound came from.

There was a small ceriths snail from my clean up crew that had wedged itself in on of the cutout holes on the back my my Nero3 wave maker pump and every once in a while it would get hit by the fan blade and make a loud clicking noise, the snail would move slightly and it would stop. Also had one go inside my return pump and cause a similar sound, had to take the pump apart to remove the snail. BOTH survived lol. They are so small, but I Love dwarf ceriths.

Maybe check your pumps.

I've had similar things happen with snails + mp10

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@flagg37 Wouldn’t say it that way lol. They may need time to recharge for a strong one. They vary how hard they snap. It’s goby will get a small pop but snails are big pop

Last edited:
OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a small ceriths snail from my clean up crew that had wedged itself in on of the cutout holes on the back my my Nero3 wave maker pump and every once in a while it would get hit by the fan blade and make a loud clicking noise
I have a Nero 3 and a Nero 5 in the tank, and 2 other pumps. The snails are big though but you never know, I will certainly check all 4 of them.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Maybe check your pumps.
On a similar idea, I've had ceriths park directly in the flow on the glass and rattle and clatter against the glass for hours at a time. I can only think they like it given how often it happens! lol

Sesty22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a similar idea, I've had ceriths park directly in the flow on the glass and rattle and clatter against the glass for hours at a time. I can only think they like it given how often it happens! lol
Lol a little Cerith massage parlor.

Last edited:

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is the source my sounds along with maybe one or two that get stuck in my nero 3

Mr Cypher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So diff opinion here I can tell you that I have electric blue hermits blue legs and red legs and when they fight over shells it it a loud sound audible outside the tank sounds like a popping and clicking one will take a prized shell and if another wants it he climbs on the other and starts trying to get him out which sounds almost exactly as you describe doesn't happen often I mostly hear it when I am acclimateing them and they are in a confined space

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So diff opinion here I can tell you that I have electric blue hermits blue legs and red legs and when they fight over shells it it a loud sound audible outside the tank sounds like a popping and clicking one will take a prized shell and if another wants it he climbs on the other and starts trying to get him out which sounds almost exactly as you describe doesn't happen often I mostly hear it when I am acclimateing them and they are in a confined space
That’s very interesting. I’ve put 2 shells in the tank (that’s all I have, I need to get more) and they haven’t moved from where I put them.

The snails are in a 75 gallons, 4 foot long tank so space isn’t an issue. They are both the same size so I doubt they are trying to steal each other’s shells.

The mystery remains, lol !

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big loud pop every once in a while is pistol. Rapid vibration type sounds is probably snails. I caught one of mine on a power head and the shell vibrates against the glass. Same if in a high flow area.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back